What happens if 3rd guest has to cancel

Looking at booking a cruise. We have 3 cabins. A group of 4, 2 and 3. There are no balconies for the group of 2 so they are booking an ocean view. The group of 3 is booking a balcony. What happens if the 3rd person has to cancel. Does the now group of 2 have to change cabins? Possibly losing a balcony?

1 hour ago, mickeyhereicome said:

Looking at booking a cruise. We have 3 cabins. A group of 4, 2 and 3. There are no balconies for the group of 2 so they are booking an ocean view. The group of 3 is booking a balcony. What happens if the 3rd person has to cancel. Does the now group of 2 have to change cabins? Possibly losing a balcony?

Move  one person from the cabin that has 4 in it to the cabin that has 3.  Then cancel that third guest leaving 2 cabins with 3 and one with 2.  On board move people around as you wish. 

This way you get  all your money refunded for the cancelled person and there is no risk that Royal makes you change rooms. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 4

Would Royal really move someone out of a balcony room and into a non-balcony room?  

I can see them moving someone from a balcony room that holds 3 to another balcony room that holds 2, but to force changing the TYPE of room seems extreme.

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

Would Royal really move someone out of a balcony room and into a non-balcony room?  

I can see them moving someone from a balcony room that holds 3 to another balcony room that holds 2, but to force changing the TYPE of room seems extreme.

I agree that I don’t think they would move you if it involved changing category types BUT I would try all other options in juggling people around first.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

They will, and have. It's all about the revenue. They will move 2 people from a 3 berth cabin so they can try to resell the cabin to a party of 3.

True, but not to a lower category (without compensation).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Move  one person from the cabin that has 4 in it to the cabin that has 3.  Then cancel that third guest leaving 2 cabins with 3 and one with 2.  On board move people around as you wish. 

This way you get  all your money refunded for the cancelled person and there is no risk that Royal makes you change rooms. 

I get what you are suggesting but wouldn’t the cabin of 4 now be in a cabin that can only sleep 3? 

8 minutes ago, mickeyhereicome said:

I get what you are suggesting but wouldn’t the cabin of 4 now be in a cabin that can only sleep 3? 

Cabins that sleep 4 also sleep 3 and Royal does not distinguish between those.  They only distinguish between doubles and triples/quads

This happened to me once a few years ago. Three of us were booked in the cabin and the week before the cruise one of the people had to drop out due to medical reasons. The other two of us had to absorb the extra cost because originally the three of us planned  to split the cost equally three ways.