Wines Around the World Tasting Class

I'm looking at this Onboard Activity for our Majesty sailing in September. I wondered if anyone could give me their opinion on the experience and if they felt it was worth the time and money. Thank you for your input.

My wife and I did this on the Liberty in May.  We are not wine drinkers.  We tasted 5 or 6 different wines and got a bit of history on each.  If you are into wine then it might be worth it to you if not then no.  We had a good time and there was nothing else we wanted to do more at the time but won;t do it again.

• Like 1

I did this on Anthem this summer.  The entire event lasted about 40 minutes. We had 5 very small sips of wine, amounting to less than 1 normal glass in total, plus a community plate of various cheeses and dried fruit.  It was informative but too brief, in my opinion, to learn much about the different wines.  I enjoyed it. However, I won't do it again.

• Like 1

Thanks for asking about this. I also appreciate this information. I'll have some complimentary onboard credit and have been considering whether I'll want to use it in this way or on something else. It's good to hear the honest feedback.

• Like 1

We did a wines around the world a few years ago . It was ok but no more than just ok. We have also done a wine tasting in Vintages on the Navigator (I think) which was WAY better - just about 10 in the group, good fun as well as informative but the fun was mainly down to the people in the group, especially a gentleman called Geoff who was an amazing raconteur and the life and soul of the group. The Vintages wine tastings seem to be unpredictable  as in whether or not they happen- seems to depend on the staff  in  Vintages.

I’ve done these on lots of different ships and lines and the group you are with can definitely make it more enjoyable rather than just meh. I would ask if the food bites will be on individual plates rather than  a communal one. Most of the ones recently have been individual. Did communal way in the past and didn’t like it. There was usually either someone who snatched all the good stuff or people held back bc they didn’t want to take too much. Also on our last one on NCL the waiter would pour  you more tastes if you wanted it.   The Vintages tastings will probably be the best ones 

Mary Ann

If you actually are into wine...I would avoid this one as waste of money. 

If you are a novice wine drinker...it may be fun and entertaining.   

The wines were pretty much "eh" grocery store varieties and the wine "host"  was not really that knowledgeable (IMHO).  

Save your money and use it for a nice bottle of wine at dinner.  

• Like 1

I did the wine tasting on the Anthem in May....it was ok.  The wines were nothing special, but you had about 5 or 6 different ones to taste.  It was somewhat informative.  They gave us plates with a variety of cheeses and dried fruit- each plate was for 2 people to share.  It was cheap enough ($17pp) and it was a sea day....would I do it again- probably not. 

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone for your thoughtful replies. Much appreciated.

After taking visiting friends on numerous wine tastings throughout the Finger Lakes in New York, it sounds like this might be a bit of a letdown. I like the idea of just buying a good bottle of wine. I'm going to take that advice to heart. Thanks again!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wikoffclan said:

Thank you to everyone for your thoughtful replies. Much appreciated.

After taking visiting friends on numerous wine tastings throughout the Finger Lakes in New York, it sounds like this might be a bit of a letdown. I like the idea of just buying a good bottle of wine. I'm going to take that advice to heart. Thanks again!

You are most welcome!  Enjoy that bottle of wine.  😉 

14 hours ago, mets123 said:

The cost is actually $20 after 18% gratuity. If it's on a sea day, and you have nothing else to do, try it once. It's not a priority event.

I got charged $34 for 2, so the $17 must have included the gratuity if they charged one....

We did it a couple of years ago, and enjoyed it.

The tastes were not full pours, but were not stingy either.

IIRC, the food bites were individual plates.

$15 - 20, maybe even $25, a nice thing to do.  Over that, not really.

On 8/7/2019 at 9:51 AM, parmagal said:

I did this on Anthem this summer.  The entire event lasted about 40 minutes. We had 5 very small sips of wine, amounting to less than 1 normal glass in total, plus a community plate of various cheeses and dried fruit.  It was informative but too brief, in my opinion, to learn much about the different wines.  I enjoyed it. However, I won't do it again.

Exactly this.