Cabin near elevator

mamoune

Hi everyone!  I am about to book a cruise on the  Legend and I have the choice between a premium balcony cabin or an extended balcony cabin.  The premium balcony cabin is somewhat larger than a regular balcony, both the cabin and the balcony. My only concern is that it is located directly in front of an elevator.  Will I be bothered by the elevator noise, should I choose another location and smaller cabin?  Your input is very much appreciated!

I purposely look for cabins as close as possible to elevators.   I haver never heard, much less been bothered by, noise.

The only times I haven't booked close to elevators was when I specifically wanted aft-extended balconies or a 6J ocean view above the bridge.

Happy sailing.

• Like 1

Hello! I think you should be fine, most of the loud children will be asleep by 10PM, and if you have late dinner/entertainment, you will still be out and about. You'll have low traffic throughout the night, plus when you're docked. You will likely hear people walking about in the hallway, that's a guaranteed, but every room can hear that. You might just get a little more than usual given that you're near the elevator. So, if you're a light sleeper, this may be an issue, but if you can tolerate the normal hallway noise, you might as well just book it .... if they were being loud when they got off the elevator, they're likely loud all the way down the hall, so your location wouldn't change much, would it?

Enjoy!

Who knows?  This can vary from sailing to sailing and from night to night.  You can have a group of loud pax saying good night to each other for what seems like forever one night and never hear them again or it can be perfectly quiet.

For what it's worth, we have an extended balcony on the Legend for its Norway Fjords cruise #7205.  We chose the larger balcony for viewing the magnificent scenery.

• Like 1

While I’ve never been in a room next to an elevator, I recently had the same question when prior to selecting a cabin and after reading a gazillion reviews learned that rooms next to elevators are actually, more often than not- preferred! It was the opposite of what I had thought! 

• Like 1

We've had premium balconies on the Miracle and the Pride (6277 on both cruises). Noise from the elevator or the elevator waiting area has never been a problem. The room and the balcony are larger and worth the premium price. We have another booked on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise.

6 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

It isn't the elevators that is the issue.  It is the people conversing at full volume waiting for elevators and kids screaming as they run up the stairs.

The door to the room doesn't open directly into the elevator lobby it's around a corner. We may have just been lucky but noise has never been an issue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mt Lassen said:

The door to the room doesn't open directly into the elevator lobby it's around a corner. We may have just been lucky but noise has never been an issue.

I found the noise worse during the day trying to take a afternoon nap

Being close to the elevators is very convenient and will reduce walking.  We were on The Legend three years ago in an aft-wrap at the very back of the ship.  One of the best cabins at sea, but a walk to the elevators. 

We always book right outside the elevators and have never had a problem with noise.  It's not like the  elevators are right outside your cabin in the hallway.  If you are worried about waking you during the night, remember that your bed is on the far wall, then the rest of your cabin, the hallway, the backs of the elevators, then where the people wait.  It's pretty hard to hear anyone talking with that much in between you and them.

My most frustrating cruises were when I was right next to the elevators due to loud passengers. The closer you are, the more foot traffic that goes by. I was awoken many times by loud passengers returning to their room after midnight. 

My solution was to start booking rooms as far away as possible with my preferred being an aft balcony. I have never regretted that decision. 

We always purposely book cabins near an elevator and have never had problems with noise. They are very convenient. We have noticed more noise coming from cabins above us with kids running back and forth in their cabins stomping their feet.

We, too book purposely right by the elevators and find those cabins very convenient.  We try to book a cabin or two around the corner from the doorway opening to the elevators/stairs.  Remember, all cabins get "foot traffic" past them with pax walking to their cabins no matter what the location, and also that not all pax walk past your cabin, some go in the other direction down the hall to their respective cabins from the elevators.  We have NEVER had any more noise from these cabins than any other location, and never have heard elevator noise.  We love these cabins and purposely book them for convenience!

Edited by buddylover
  • Like 1

The issue I see on the Legend is that the extended balconies have an obstructed 'Ship-side Sea View' of the water if looking down from the balcony... the lifeboats are directly below.  

You did not specify the cabin number, so I'm going to assume that the other cabin's 'Ship-side Sea View' will not be obstructed.  Go with that one.

We always try to get a room near the elevator and mid ship - never had an issue. if there is noise in the hallway it doesn't matter how close you are to the elevator. I have been destined more by my neighbors and their noise either in the hallway or on the balcony.

On my last cruise on the Magic we could hear the violins in our room as we got dressed for dinner and that was great as it kept us so relaxed. But we never heard anything once they stopped playing. 

On 8/7/2019 at 7:00 PM, mamoune said:

Hi everyone!  I am about to book a cruise on the  Legend and I have the choice between a premium balcony cabin or an extended balcony cabin.  The premium balcony cabin is somewhat larger than a regular balcony, both the cabin and the balcony. My only concern is that it is located directly in front of an elevator.  Will I be bothered by the elevator noise, should I choose another location and smaller cabin?  Your input is very much appreciated!

I almost always try to book by the elevators/stairs and I have never had issue with noise.