Next dry dock for Equinox?

39august

I have seen 2 references  on these boards of another dry dock for EQ in 2021. Has this been officially announced by Celebrity? Commonly, major dry docks are every 5 years. Both the mentions I have seen say that the work not done on the recent "revolution" would be finished in another  in 2021.  I was happy  that work was not complete, as I don't look forward to more people on board to fill those extra cabins, nor the "Hoppinizing" of the suites, nor the shrinkage of the Sky Lounge. I understand the corporate thinking on these, but just not to my liking.  If this is official, what is the actual date, please?. 

5 minutes ago, 39august said:

I have seen 2 references  on these boards of another dry dock for EQ in 2021. Has this been officially announced by Celebrity? Commonly, major dry docks are every 5 years. Both the mentions I have seen say that the work not done on the recent "revolution" would be finished in another  in 2021.  I was happy  that work was not complete, as I don't look forward to more people on board to fill those extra cabins, nor the "Hoppinizing" of the suites, nor the shrinkage of the Sky Lounge. I understand the corporate thinking on these, but just not to my liking.  If this is official, what is the actual date, please?. 

Good point. I've not seen anything about it, officially or otherwise. What do you mean by Hoppinizing of the suites? I would guess it's a reference to Kelly Hoppen and her idea of sanitizing each suite and making them look like the waiting room at a hospital? 🙂 From the photos I see I'm really glad the Eclipse hasn't yet been Revolted by Hoppen. We will be boarding her (Eclipse) soon. Unfortunately our next cruise is supposed to be aboard Summit, which has already been Revolted.

Maybe it was the corporate reaction to the work not done, but when they evaluate the reactions to what is done on other ships, they may not do it at all.   I think that's what happened with Princess and the butchering of Island Princess.  Similar work for Coral Princess was never done.  EM

5 hours ago, K12Guy said:

🙂Unfortunately our next cruise is supposed to be aboard Summit, which has already been Revolted.

Summit needed a refresh/update. Think you will be pleased with how things turned out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bkbarrym said:

Summit needed a refresh/update. Think you will be pleased with how things turned out.

I'm trying to remain open minded, but the first turn-off for me was the application of dark navy blue paint on most of the hull, making it look more like a barge or tanker than a cruise ship. I see photos of the new, light colors and don't care for them, as well. Maybe they will be more pleasant in person and I really do hope I will be pleased, as you suggest. Thanks for your feedback! 😎

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K12Guy said:

I'm trying to remain open minded, but the first turn-off for me was the application of dark navy blue paint on most of the hull, making it look more like a barge or tanker than a cruise ship. I see photos of the new, light colors and don't care for them, as well. Maybe they will be more pleasant in person and I really do hope I will be pleased, as you suggest. Thanks for your feedback! 😎

It baffles me that someone’s enjoyment of a cruise would depend on the colour of a ships hull.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Except Silhouette is moving forward on her dry dock early next year, including the addition of more suites and inside cabins.

So then, she will be the guinea pig in the S class?  

16 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

It baffles me that someone’s enjoyment of a cruise would depend on the colour of a ships hull.

Not at all. I will thoroughly enjoy any cruise I get the chance to take. But, our conversation is about decorating choices and I don't care for the dark blue hull, as opposed to what I think of as the cleaner and nicer look of the white hull. As with some clothing, I suppose. I tend to look better in lighter colors than darker, and I still enjoy sipping my scotch, regardless. 🙂

Yes, Silhouette will now be the first S Class ship to undergo the “revolution.”  So it will be interesting to see if anything changes from what was initially proposed.  And wait and see if Equinox remains the exception or gets a second “revolution” to finish what was originally scheduled.

11 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Yes, Silhouette will now be the first S Class ship to undergo the “revolution.”

What was the reason there was only a partial revolting of Equinox, which is S class? Will it be returned to dry dock soon to complete whatever had been planned?

The reason the Equinox only had a partial revolution was that there was an accident at the dry dock facility in the Bahamas when Oasis was there.  The dry dock was damaged and is still out of service.  There is no other facility that can do this work here.  So Equinox, which was scheduled to have her revolution at Freeport, had to sail across the pond to Cadiz, Spain for her work.  This entailed one week across and one week back leaving only two weeks for the dry dock.  Celebrity made the decision to cut the revolution short so as not to cancel more cruises.

By contrast Silhouette’s dry dock was extended to include two extra weeks out of service sailing to Spain and she had several cruises canceled.  

I’ve read that the Equinox will have the rest of her scheduled revolution in 2021.  No way to know if that will stay as planned or if X may decide to leave her as is until what would be the regular schedule of dry docking which I think is every five years.

Edited by helen haywood

9 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

The reason the Equinox only had a partial revolution was that there was an accident at the dry dock facility in the Bahamas when Oasis was there.

Ah yes. I recall that now. With a little luck maybe they will leave Equinox 'as is' for a while. I'm normally all about change for the good.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 12:00 AM, helen haywood said:

Yes, operative phrase “for the good.”

Should be "for the bottom line".

I cannot believe those that think it is no big deal removing 40% of the Sky Lounge area for suites.  Imagine being up there in Alaska and not being able to view the  wonderful scenery on one side of the ship.