Max OBC and price reduction after final payment

adam_s_allen

I purchased the max allowed amount of $1,000 on board credit and it seems the general offer if the price of the cruise goes down after final payment is 25% difference in OBC (I know they don’t owe anything). Would that interfere or can you have more OBC you just can’t buy more than that.

Several weeks ago I noticed our Haven suite price was reduced by $895. I asked our TA to check to see if NCL would offer any OBC. NCL offered us $250 OBC which we took. Today I see that our room is now $2095 less. I asked our TA to contact NCL and ask if they would offer any additional OBC. The TA just told me that an OBC offer from NCL was a one time deal. Does any one know if this is correct or can you offer any other suggestions? I understand that NCL has no obligation to offer anything and I will be thrilled in our Haven Suite, but I am hoping.

11 minutes ago, realtorgranny said:

Several weeks ago I noticed our Haven suite price was reduced by $895. I asked our TA to check to see if NCL would offer any OBC. NCL offered us $250 OBC which we took. Today I see that our room is now $2095 less. I asked our TA to contact NCL and ask if they would offer any additional OBC. The TA just told me that an OBC offer from NCL was a one time deal. Does any one know if this is correct or can you offer any other suggestions? I understand that NCL has no obligation to offer anything and I will be thrilled in our Haven Suite, but I am hoping.

Based on what others have said on here, yes the OBC offer is a one time deal.

I call all the time.  My last cruise was 3 years ago due to other vacations.   I am booked in October and they told me the same thing.    They told me I should hold off a little longer and then call. I am getting worried it will go back up. 

The answer that it is a one time deal is correct - you have to watch this carefully to get the best deal.

90* days before sailing price drops - wait let it drop some more - will probably bottom out at or near

30* days before sailing at that time call NCL for the OBC correction of 25%.

* Note 90 - 30 days just an arbitrary guess-ta-mint

Is the ship sailing half full or half empty - are lots of cabins still available or is the ship sold out

will give you a clue as to what to do but nothing is guaranteed.

When you are past the final payment period you are at the mercy of what NCL wants to offer be it

25% OBC compensation or perhaps a cabin upgrade.

Noting that price drop - if it a real significant drop - you might consider if NCL will upgrade the cabin

more than a token of next level - i.e. you are in a OV bumping you to a mini-suite bypassing balcony.

Once you make the deal - That's it - One Time deal - you are in the penalty phase of the Final Payment

take care - if working with a good skilled TA you might get some better advice about marketing trends

about a specific sailing but for now you have CC.

For those not familiar with the 25% OBC price reduction offer it works like this:

Price drop of $400 pp results in $100 OBC offered (pp in cabin based on double occupancy)

A drop of $800 is $200 and so on - - - up to the $1000 limit - at that point NCL should be

offering you a cabin upgrade. 

Edited by don't-use-real-name

On 8/15/2019 at 5:07 PM, adam_s_allen said:

I purchased the max allowed amount of $1,000 on board credit and it seems the general offer if the price of the cruise goes down after final payment is 25% difference in OBC (I know they don’t owe anything). Would that interfere or can you have more OBC you just can’t buy more than that.

As you thought..... purchasing OBC is capped at $1,000 but the total balance you can have is not. 

On 8/15/2019 at 5:07 PM, adam_s_allen said:

You just can't buy more than $1000 in OBC, you can have more for other sources, but since the OBC you buy is refundable NCL doesn't want you stockpiling it.

6 minutes ago, zqvol said:

You just can't buy more than $1000 in OBC, you can have more for other sources, but since the OBC you buy is refundable NCL doesn't want you stockpiling it.

Thank you for the responses. I knew NCL didn’t want you going above the $1,000 mark because people were exploiting currency exchange in the past.

Just wanted to confirm you could go above it from other sources now. I’ll be spending close to that 1,000 day one. Trying for vibe passes for 3 people and upgrading to unlimited internet.