Unwanted Upgrade

railman

7 minutes ago, voljeep said:

is this the only way you found out ??  no email, no call ?

Usually I get an e-mall, but there was one occasion where they "upgraded" me from my covered mini E730 on the Emerald to a Dolphin mini.  I was able to get that cabin back.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

Usually I get an e-mall, but there was one occasion where they "upgraded" me from my covered mini E730 on the Emerald to a Dolphin mini.  I was able to get that cabin back.

Neglected to add, no call or e-mail.

1 hour ago, cruisin_ppl said:

The fact that the balcony is totally uncovered is the reason I never book mini-suites on that class of ship. 

This class of ships has fully covered mini-suites on Emerald deck aft so you might reconsider cruising on one of them if you reserve early (there are only 8 - 10 of them) and mark "do not upgrade" on your reservation.

2 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

This has happened to me a few times and I immediately call Princess and have always been able to get my original cabin back.  Mind you, I check my bookings every morning and act immediately.

Every morning...like....EVERY morning?

Like you checked today?

And

You'll check tomorrow and so forth?

When you book through a TA, generally the emails about cabin upgrades goes to them. Upsell notices also go to TAs and not directly to passengers. One of my TAs is great about passing on the emails. Some others have not been so great. I usually find out my cabin assignment before I receive the email if ever.

1 hour ago, FloaterBoat said:

Every morning...like....EVERY morning?

Like you checked today?

And

You'll check tomorrow and so forth?

Yes, yes and yes.  I have been able to take advantage of price reductions and better cabins on nearly every cruise by doing this.  On my last cruise on the Royal last April I saw a price drop in the morning and called and had it refared.  Later in the afternoon I checked again, something I usually don't do, just in the morning and saw that they were running a California Resident Sale and the price dropped again.  So I refared it twice in one day.  Wound up being the cheapest cruise I have ever taken in 30 years.

I enjoy looking at CC and the Princess web in the morning while I have my coffee, but don't worry, I am not offended by your mockery!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

Yes, yes and yes.  I have been able to take advantage of price reductions and better cabins on nearly every cruise by doing this.  On my last cruise on the Royal last April I saw a price drop in the morning and called and had it refared.  Later in the afternoon I checked again, something I usually don't do, just in the morning and saw that they were running a California Resident Sale and the price dropped again.  So I refared it twice in one day.  Wound up being the cheapest cruise I have ever taken in 30 years.

I enjoy looking at CC and the Princess web in the morning while I have my coffee, but don't worry, I am not offended by your mockery!

You are so right, I have saved a ton of money by checking every day.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2019 at 8:41 AM, 1emerald1 said:

I'm with you 100%. Checking cruise prices is basically my hobby. I often book myself on a cruise at a good price and then start researching the ship and the best cabins. By watching pricing and inventory I usually tend to end up in a "sought after" cabin. The best deal I ever found was a "dropped digit" cruise fare, on a cruise I was already booked on, and managed to get 8 members of my family booked into 4 full suites at $600pp instead of $6,000pp. For as long as human error exists, I'll keep checking for it! It keeps me out of trouble...

1 hour ago, mum and son said:

I'm with you 100%. Checking cruise prices is basically my hobby. I often book myself on a cruise at a good price and then start researching the ship and the best cabins. By watching pricing and inventory I usually tend to end up in a "sought after" cabin. The best deal I ever found was a "dropped digit" cruise fare, on a cruise I was already booked on, and managed to get 8 members of my family booked into 4 full suites at $600pp instead of $6,000pp. For as long as human error exists, I'll keep checking for it! It keeps me out of trouble...

which cruise line ... certainly Princess would never honor a clear mistake like that ... maybe a little OBC ...

18 minutes ago, voljeep said:

which cruise line ... certainly Princess would never honor a clear mistake like that ... maybe a little OBC ...

It was on the Emerald Princess - a 12 night cruise. I found the deal around midnight and became an amateur contract law expert over the following few hours. I worked out that the best chance I had was to pay in full for all bookings. At around 8am the next day the whole Princess website was taken offline (I noticed an error on another Diamond Princess cruise I was watching as well). I waited every day for a call from Princess but it never came. Besides the price error, we were given $250pp in OBC and a $150pp spa voucher. All were honoured. Most of my family had to forfeit their existing deposits on the cruise (around $250pp), but 4 of us were doing a B2B and Princess even allowed us to transfer the deposit from our cancelled booking onto our other booking so we didn't lose one cent. We got lucky.

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Yep, got all that, and bantered back and forth with friends/people with better legal brains than mine about when a contract is formed, and what constitutes offer and acceptance etc etc. I fully expected to have the pending charges on my credit card cancelled and to receive a phone call or an email the next day, but Princess never contacted me. I didn't even cancel the original bookings for months because I thought Princess would make contact. They never even tried. We all went on the cruise, and had the time of our lives. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mum and son said:

A similar thing happened to me once, although not as sweet as your deal.  I had been eyeing a 10 day Caribbean on the Emerald and for some reason on a Saturday night around 10:00 I checked on it, and the price for a mini suite was the exact price as an ocean view.  I went back out and in 3 times to see if it would correct, and it didn't so I booked it.  On Monday the minis were back up in price to where they should have been.  Unfortunately, due to work commitments I was not able to take the cruise.

Princess changes pricing frequently, and it is not always attached to a promotion.  That's why it pays to monitor!

• Like 1