Snorkeling equipment

Redking

Looking for advice on whether it's really necessary to bring our own snorkelling equipment?  Booked on a tour in Bora Bora and they can provide everything but fins. We don't own any and only snorkel once in a blue moon. We probably have enough baggage allowance, so also not sure whether to buy in Australia before we leave or buy when we get to Hawaii? TIA.

There must be a reason why they don’t provide fins.  In the Caribbean all of the snorkeling tours we took provided them.  

You should verify and ask why?   Is could be that they attract sharks.   Australia is famous for the sharks. 

Don’t know how far Bora Bora is but it is probably also shark infested 

http://theconversation.com/why-do-shark-bites-seem-to-be-more-deadly-in-australia-than-elsewhere-85986 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

DW and I always take out own gear, but after many years of diving and snorkeling, we are a lot pickier about our equipment. For example, we don't want to use a snorkel that has been used by countless other people, as the cleaning is sometimes pretty iffy. Besides, my DW don't like the taste of disinfectant used by some operators. In my case, I have prescription lenses in my mask, so that's a must. The one item that we might consider leaving behind is our fins, something your tour operator doesn't offer. Check to see if they even allow the use of fins, as some don't in an attempt to protect the corral from inexperienced snorkelers.

There is plenty of inexpensive gear available, particularly online, but I'd recommend that you visit your local dive shop to get advice. Even if you don't buy from them, they can at least steer you in the right direction. Some equipment, particularly masks, is utter junk and should be avoided. If you can't make it to a dive shop, take a look at some of the equipment reviews here: https://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com

If you do decide to buy, get it at home. You need to spend a bit of time making the purchases, and you don't want to waste time during your cruise IMO. Besides, if a local shop has a piece of equipment that you like, but not in your size, they can bring it in for you. Besides, you can do a few check out swims at home to get used to the equipment.

• Like 1

Snorkeling excursions in crowded areas sometimes suggest no fins to avoid kicking each other. I believe some that explore fairly shallow reefs also discourage fins to avoid damaging the reef. No idea why yours has no fins.

If you decide to get them, you can buy short fins designed for snorkeling. Easier to clamber around in. We also use sox we buy from a scuba store. They make the fins feel much, much more comfortable, and they help keep you from feeling the heat on the boat deck.

Yes Yes Yes

You always want to bring bring your own equipment if possible. Masks get scratched and going from one size to another stretch’s the band and can cause your mask to leak. Not all companies clean their equipment with the same sanitary process. You don’t want to be the one not getting some clean equipment.  

Get your our own equipment and then you you will have good fitting equipment that won’t disappoint you while snorkeling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

The snorkeling excursions we've been on in Barbados with the turtles did not allow fins. Once we went to a reef they were provided.

The turtle excursion in Barbados we went to did not allow fins either. Afraid we would hurt the tutles. However, there were no turtles, either, and about 20 fish total. We had a fun party on the boat, though!

Edited by mayleeman

If you use corrective lenses, I would suggest that you get your own mask with lenses with the appropriate correction.  You can get a decent mask for your snorkeling trips at a reasonable price.  You will be amazed at how much more enjoyable the snorkeling trip is when you can see better.  I would also purchase my own snorkel, they are light and also reasonably priced and you won't wonder if someone cleaned it.  I would ask, why they don't provide fins.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CA_Cruzing said:

Act fast. This is priced wrong on Amazon. Usually it’s $99. 

I own 4 of these sets for our family and they’re perfect for us. 

HEAD X-One Bungee Adjustable Mask Fin Snorkel Set, Large/X-Large, Yellow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076NYH1MW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_pzpwDbQWWGR8Y

Wow thank you.

6 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If you use corrective lenses, I would suggest that you get your own mask with lenses with the appropriate correction.  You can get a decent mask for your snorkeling trips at a reasonable price.  You will be amazed at how much more enjoyable the snorkeling trip is when you can see better.  I would also purchase my own snorkel, they are light and also reasonably priced and you won't wonder if someone cleaned it.  I would ask, why they don't provide fins.

I would second this.  We have purchased a prescription mask and have not regretted doing so. Had used  the provided snorkels but then went out and purchased one for this mask.  These take up little room in the suitcase.  

I would not purchase a complete set unless you do a fair amount of snorkeling.