Regent First Timer - Just Booked!

jjs217

Hi,

As mentioned in the title, my husband and I just booked our first Regent Cruise (Rio to Miami, Christmas & New Year).  We have sailed the other luxury cruise lines (Seabourn, Crystal and Silversea) and love them all.  I figure if I don't have to drive, cook, tidy-up, or make the bed, and I get "bubbly" whenever I want - then it is a perfect vacation - no complaints from me.  I do have a couple of questions:

1)  The Regent web site has been down today, and I can't input our personal data and passport info.  Is that info so time sensitive that I should call and give them the information over the phone, or just wait until the site is back up?

2)  I believe I read that flights will not be given out until 75 days prior.  Is this correct?  If I customize airfare (not currently working), do they consider that just as a request, or does that negate whatever flight they had planned on using?  Does this even make any sense?  I guess I'm trying to figure out what the customize airfare button is for exactly.  I'm using the business class included option on our reservation.

3)  I have also booked a pre-cruise land/hotel tour.  Do they ever give you the opportunity to book and pay for other excursions that are not included in the land portion.  Specifically, I am interested in going to a Samba show in Rio, and would rather book with Regent than with another tour agency?  

Thank you with any help/answers.  I'm sure I will have more questions as I think about it.

We did this itinerary about 10 years ago, and loved it!

I see no problem with the RSSC website right now.  I'm in Canada.  But no, I don't think the passport info is hugely time-sensitive.  I believe it has to be provided by final payment, or something like that.

If you customize your flights, that shouldn't be impacted by the website being down--it's done by phone, between you and either your TA or you Regent rep (sorry, maybe there's a button on the website, if so I have no knowledge of how it works).  They work with you to see if they can find flights, and that in no way negates your ability to just choose the default flights they get for you.  It's best if you do your own legwork and figure out which flights you would like, and propose them.  Then they will come back with an answer, yeah or nay, and then work from there.

I'm not sure I understand your questions about excursions during your pre-cruise trip.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Welcome to the Regent board.  Booking your first Regent cruise is always exciting but does come with questions.  Hope that you booked through a TA that regularly books luxury cruises - particularly Regent cruises. In addition to getting the best answers to your questions, you will receive a percentage back on your cruise fare and on board credits (on some itineraries).  

In term of booking your own flights - currently called Custom Air - formerly called Air Deviation........ We have done over 30 Regent cruises and highly recommend using Custom Air.  There is a cost of $175/person but you can pick your flights from the list of airlines that Regent has contracts with (most major airlines).  You can book your Custom Air 270 days to the date of embarkation.  So, when the 75 day hits and Regent starts booking for passengers that are not using Custom Air, sometimes the flights that you would have wanted are gone.  Note:  Regent only has a certain number of seats per flight so it is always best to book early.  You are not charged the fee until you approve the flights.  

Here is a link to a date calculator to help figure out when you can deviate.  You put in the date of the cruise and subtract 270 days and you have the answer.  As has been said, you can call your TA and they can contact Regent Air for you.  

When you are on the Regent website, on the home page there is a little "face" in the upper right hand part of the page.  If you click this, it takes you to the page where you can set up your account.  The Regent website has just been updated so things are a bit new to all of us.  

Just curious, of the luxury cruise lines that you have sailed, which is your favorite.  We have sailed Silversea and will sail Crystal in two weeks from today (but whose counting).  It is always of interest to hear the views of posters that have cruised these lines.

jjs217, welcome to Regent!! Perhaps others have seen something different, but my experience with the pre cruise land/hotel tours was that there were not additional excursions to sign up for, but there is free time available. Also, if indeed you just booked you may want to look at the Member referral credit thread. If you complete the form within 14 days of your deposit you will get a $250 credit towards the cruise you just booked. Look for the Seven Seas Ambassador program on the RSSC website. I'm sure you will enjoy Regent!

Wendy the Wanderer - thank you for your help.  I'm not surprised you didn't "get" my question about the pre-cruise land tour.  It was a wee bit confusing.

Travelcat2 - thank you for the flight info.  I will definitely check out the deviation option.  It really is hard to say which cruise line is my favorite.  I like each for different reasons.  Even though the balcony cabins on Crystal are teeny (I prefer "cozy"), the Crystal ships have a quaint European old-fashion feel - which is kind of cool.  Even the maids' uniforms are sort of old-fashion.  Also, I like the fact that Crystal always has a Priest on board, so I don't worry about missing Mass.  The balcony cabins on Seabourn and Silversea are much more roomy than Crystal and the overall vibe of the ships is a little more "hip".  When choosing a cruise - it really is all about the itinerary, as I'm not a fussy wine drinker (I do like wine with my meals, but frankly it could have been bottled yesterday and come with a screw cap, and I wouldn't care.)  Also, I like the food on all the ships - we are not picky eaters and appreciate the fact we don't have to eat my cooking.

taxare - thank you for understanding my question number 3.  I will look into booking my own Samba show.  I will also look into the $250 credit thingy.

Welcome to Regent, you will not regret it! We made the switch to Regent and took our first cruise with them on the Explorer in April ... have 2 more cruises booked already and a 3rd one under consideration.

There are lots of opportunities for custom meals on Regent. If that interests you, I’d be delighted to tell you more. Can you tell I’m a foodie!?

Edited by kjbacon
  • Like 1

I was looking at the sample dinner menu for the Compass Rose.  I really like the idea of the "build your own" entree.  Sometimes haute cuisine can be a little bit "over composed", and sometimes simpler is better.   Do they have the build your own option every night?

17 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

I was looking at the sample dinner menu for the Compass Rose.  I really like the idea of the "build your own" entree.  Sometimes haute cuisine can be a little bit "over composed", and sometimes simpler is better.   Do they have the build your own option every night?

The Compass Rose menu is the same every night.  If you would like Regent to make you something special, they will do so with 24 hours notice (only in CR).  

The great thing about the Compass Rose menu is that half of it is always the same with the options discussed earlier while the other half changes daily. Each night, there are special appetizers, entrees, and desserts. The roast duck and the tuna tartare were especially delicious!  There was a pasta appetizer one night with garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes, and anchovies that was one of the best I’ve ever had. If you have booked a penthouse or above, you can also have a custom meal brought to you by your butler, such a treat!

2 hours ago, jjs217 said:

The Compass Rose menu is a "game of two halves".

The "All Time Favorite Appetizers" and "Design Your Entree" are all available every evening.

The "Executive Chef's Daily Specials", as the name implies, change daily.

There is so much choice in Compass Rose, and all items are so delicious, that you need a long cruise to be able to sample all the yummy dishes 😋

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

The great thing about the Compass Rose menu is that half of it is always the same with the options discussed earlier while the other half changes daily. Each night, there are special appetizers, entrees, and desserts. The roast duck and the tuna tartare were especially delicious!  There was a pasta appetizer one night with garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes, and anchovies that was one of the best I’ve ever had. If you have booked a penthouse or above, you can also have a custom meal brought to you by your butler, such a treat!

Thank you for bringing up the other half of the menu - that is an important piece that I missed!  

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you for bringing up the other half of the menu - that is an important piece that I missed!  

That's what I really like about the Compass Rose menu. The right side of the menu changes every day, and contains selections from specialty restaurants on Regent Cruise ships (even if you're on Voyager and you don't have a Pacific Rim on your ship). The left side of the menu stays the same and has something that's reliably good when you don't see anything on the left side of the menu.

Oh my goodness - I can't wait.  It sounds like Regent really goes above and beyond in the dining department.  My husband will be in pig heaven.  He's tall and slender with a super speedy metabolism.  He can eat what he wants - when he wants - and in any proportion and never gain an ounce.  I, on the other hand, will just have to start dieting right now, or maybe tomorrow, or maybe the next day, or............................Eh - maybe not.

• Like 1

Hi,

when we were onboard there was one night when we had a reservation in P-7 we saw something very appealing on the Compass Rose from the chefs special menu. ( They show it on the tv) We requested to have it 2 days later in the Compass Rose. Not a problem our waiter Mark told us. 

Also you can order from the Compass Rose menu via Room service or Butler.  Very relaxing with a bottle of wine after a long day touring. So many choices....