Alaska wildfires

misha1

Hello fellow cruisers.  We will soon depart on Jewel for our Southbound Alaska cruise.  Prior, we are spending a few days in Anchorage, Talkeetna, and Seward.  What does anyone know about the air quality and visibility, not to mention the feasability of travel to the areas mentioned?  Hoping that everyone in the areas affected are safe.  Julie

Edited by misha1

I can partially answer this. Visibility in Talkeetna is arse right now. Depending on what happens with these fires it may be arse when you get there. There may be rain in the forecast in the immediate future but who knows. Also be advised the Parks Highway is partially closed due to fire behavior and there are multiple evacuations between Palmer and Talkeetna. I've heard of extreme delays trying to get up and down the state. 

As far as Seward, it is also bad. The Swan Lake fire decided to have an encore and stood up for the first time in a month a few days ago. That may be more of an issue depending on the weather. 

Air quality is going to blow for a while, especially on the Kenai. Good luck!

10 hours ago, sparkmaster said:

I can partially answer this. Visibility in Talkeetna is arse right now. Depending on what happens with these fires it may be arse when you get there. There may be rain in the forecast in the immediate future but who knows. Also be advised the Parks Highway is partially closed due to fire behavior and there are multiple evacuations between Palmer and Talkeetna. I've heard of extreme delays trying to get up and down the state. 

As far as Seward, it is also bad. The Swan Lake fire decided to have an encore and stood up for the first time in a month a few days ago. That may be more of an issue depending on the weather. 

Air quality is going to blow for a while, especially on the Kenai. Good luck!

What is arse?

Just now, dexddd said:

I believe it is a person's backside term used in Europe.

I am familiar with that meaning, but how does that translate into the sentences it was used in?  Should I translate it as s**t?

10 minutes ago, misha1 said:

I am familiar with that meaning, but how does that translate into the sentences it was used in?  Should I translate it as s**t?

I struggled to get the use of it literally and that was my take too.

Edited by dexddd

We were in Alaska for 2 weeks July/August.  I can add that both the amount of smoke, and where it is, varied quite a bit from day to day.  I was really worried about it prior to our visit, then some much needed rain really improved things quickly.  Here is the link for info on the Swan Lake Fire which is the one causing most of the issues on the Kenai- I found it helpful:  https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6387/

Also this link gives the smoke prediction map- looks like the next few days see some clearing.

http://smoke.alaska.edu/PM25.html

Fine - just what we need - our very own Brazilian greenhouse global warming fire !

That Swan Lake fire would be south and west of Anchorage and north and west of Seward.

Travel between Anchorage and port Seward would be impacted to a degree.

Will be cruising in three weeks SB on the JEWEL - hope it blows over - burns out !

On the bright side must be making for some fantastic photo opt sunset pictures.

When do the salmon run?

Answer

The salmon runs start in early May and continue until September, but they vary each year. Also, different species of salmon run at different times through the summer. First to run are chinook (king) salmon, followed by sockeye (red) salmon and then the coho (silver) salmon.

We were there at the beginning of June and nothing had really started yet.  Forecast was for later in June this year.

• Thanks 1

Today our air quality in Talkeetna is slightly smoky.  I would say better than LA.  The helicopters & air tankers are active, flying over our home.  The McKinley Fire has taken 138 structures - 51 Primary Homes & 3 Commercial Properties, the rest were outbuildings.  At this time, the fire is 10% contained.  The Parks Hwy is still open, one lane @ a time w/ Pilot Truck.  There are waits on both sides.  I will find out more, first hand on Monday afternoon - as to the wait time to get through...  We haven't had any rain yet - but hope to have some soon!

What time frame are you visiting up here?

As of noon today - all lanes are open on the Parks HWY...

At this time, still 45 MPH thru the Fire Zone - also the flaggers are still out there, to allow Fire Teams & Equipment on & off the HWY - keep an eye out for them.  Minimal smoke in Talkeetna today.  Helo's still flying overhead & air tankers still active. 

When you arrive in ANC - sign up for Nixel Alerts - that will keep you informed (maybe too much 🙂)

ANC Zipcode:  99501 (one of many)

Talkeetna Zipcode:  99676

Seward Zipcode:  99664

image.png.22fb82e9d1b554e961dbd41c7d7a8d18.png