Lanyards? (Joy)

ksignorini

They do not do them for free but they do sell them in the shop, everything from basic straps to fully blinged rhinestone ones.

You can bring your own with either a see through pouch or just a clip at the end and customer service will hole punch the card.

Some of the newer ships you can't hole punch the card, I don't know about the Joy but as she is quite new I suspect not.

Edited by ziggyuk

46 minutes ago, ksignorini said:

I haven’t been on an NCL cruise in a long time and can’t remember if NCL makes lanyards for keycards available for free, charge, or not at all. 

We’ll be be on the Joy in October. What can we expect?

I will be on the Joy for the October 11 Panama Canal cruise. What date is your cruise?

I don't know if they still offer them, but the Cruise Next rep used to give free lanyards for signing up for an NCL credit card with bonus reward points.   I didn't do that, but requested one when I purchased a couple of Cruise Next certificates, and he gave me one.....

1 hour ago, ksignorini said:

I haven’t been on an NCL cruise in a long time and can’t remember if NCL makes lanyards for keycards available for free, charge, or not at all. We’ll be be on the Joy in October. What can we expect?

No free lanyards on any NCL ship. 

On the Joy, the key cards are proximity/RFID cards to open your stateroom door, so you can not hole punch them. You will need a lanyard with a plastic pouch. The key also has a bar code which is used by gangway security and a magnetic strip which is used at all points of sale. 

image.png.4ec00e54fd69760d837807faff26e3df.png

Edited by BirdTravels

38 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

No free lanyards on any NCL ship. 

On the Joy, the key cards are proximity/RFID cards to open your stateroom door, so you can not hole punch them. You will need a lanyard with a plastic pouch. The key also has a bar code which is used by gangway security and a magnetic strip which is used at all points of sale. 

image.png.4ec00e54fd69760d837807faff26e3df.png

The bars on Joy don't have RFID readers? I found out a day or so in on Bliss that the bars do - so much nicer to leave it in the pouch! All the restaurants had the old tech where they had to swipe the card though - was chatting with a host about it while I was waiting and she joked about how they always got the old/cheap stuff compared to the bars. 

8 hours ago, smplybcause said:

The bars on Joy don't have RFID readers? I found out a day or so in on Bliss that the bars do - so much nicer to leave it in the pouch! All the restaurants had the old tech where they had to swipe the card though - was chatting with a host about it while I was waiting and she joked about how they always got the old/cheap stuff compared to the bars. 

Only went up to a bar a few times and I think that they swiped. Dealt mostly with waiters who had hand held swipers. And the stores all swiped cards. 

I read on another thread a while back, (could have been RCI, which was an early adopter of RFID tech), that if you were careful, you could still punch a hole in their card...if you hold the card up against a powerful light, you can actually see where the circuit is, and avoid it...

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:12 AM, smplybcause said:

Should be able to punch a hole in the lower right corner of (birds card) the A12 assembly area.

The chip RFID reading end would be near the bar code on the left and not part of the Black magnetic stripe on the back.

Definitely do not punch a hole in these critical areas. If you see a rectangular box similar to my Discover card in the

star field the left (bar code) side of the card avoid that area - that contains a digital chip.

Newer technology is applied and in use on the latest ships - a great feature is that with your hands full of stuff you

don't have to get your key card out to open the cabin door - just move the body (pocket/purse) with the card in close

to the door and wait for the click to unlock the door.

Examples of bar code - magnetic stripe - digital chip

DSC07337.thumb.JPG.79488b1f202636354254e0fdfe74cf81.JPG

DSC07336.thumb.JPG.91b0166747157cff503b6e3ad89ab647.JPG

DSC07335.thumb.JPG.a87aa6d991ad5d7ceb3535648dbe4c00.JPG

3 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Should be able to punch a hole in the lower right corner of (birds card) the A12 assembly area.

The chip RFID reading end would be near the bar code on the left and not part of the Black magnetic stripe on the back.

Definitely do not punch a hole in these critical areas. If you see a rectangular box similar to my Discover card in the

star field the left (bar code) side of the card avoid that area - that contains a digital chip.

Newer technology is applied and in use on the latest ships - a great feature is that with your hands full of stuff you

don't have to get your key card out to open the cabin door - just move the body (pocket/purse) with the card in close

to the door and wait for the click to unlock the door.

Examples of bar code - magnetic stripe - digital chip

DSC07337.thumb.JPG.79488b1f202636354254e0fdfe74cf81.JPG

DSC07336.thumb.JPG.91b0166747157cff503b6e3ad89ab647.JPG

DSC07335.thumb.JPG.a87aa6d991ad5d7ceb3535648dbe4c00.JPG

I have read people that do that, but the problem is NCL employees won't, so you'd have to bring your own hole punch. Which I don't own and seems silly to buy & pack when I can just put it in a pouch which works 90% of the time. I didn't even always have to take it out to get on/off the ship. 

Also I forget whether it was NCL or royal, but one of them has an antenna that runs around the whole card - more than the chip credit cards - so you have to be careful. 

Edited by smplybcause

I just ordered some hang tabs.  You know those plastic stickers with the hole that stores use to hang products. So now I can attach my card to a lanyard without using those stupid envelopes.

S-11656.jpg?$Small$&iccEmbed=1&icc=AdobeRGB

On 8/27/2019 at 9:32 AM, fava said:

I just ordered some hang tabs.  You know those plastic stickers with the hole that stores use to hang products. So now I can attach my card to a lanyard without using those stupid envelopes.

S-11656.jpg?$Small$&iccEmbed=1&icc=AdobeRGB

What a great idea!!!!

Where did you get these? 

14 hours ago, beljwl said:

What a great idea!!!!

Where did you get these? 

You can get them from  Amazon, Aliexpress, virtually any store fixture supply store.

I got mine at  http://www.eddies.com , search for hang tabs.  I paid more in shipping than I did for the tabs.

Be carefully when ordering.  Some hang tabs contain a perforated section to make it easier to detach the glue portion from the tab portion.  You don't want those.

Edited by fava
Added info