Doubletree Downtown San Diego comments

DaveOKC

Must be something going on last weekend in April as I cannot find my favorite hotels in downtown San Diego having rooms, 8 months out!

Anyway, has anyone stayed at the Doubletree (Hilton) in Downtown San Diego?  I know it has an airport shuttle (works for me) and that it is a few blocks from Little Italy, but nothing else about it.  Can you give me some pros and cons before I book?

Hi,

We did a local staycation there for July 4 this year.

We got a room with a balcony where we could watch the fireworks .

The room was fine . They have a restaurant ,bar. and really nice pool area with comfy couches etc.

It was an easy walk to Little Italy where we had lunch and dinner.

You can always book holding the res with a credit card without paying until you arrive.

Then see if something else turns up that you prefer.

I just did a search and there's a big cancer research convention going on that weekend.

Edited by riffatsea

Thanks for the reply.  I have seen some poor reviews on TripAdvisor, so I needed to get some first hand cruiser knowledge!  I do like the fact that they have an airport shuttle.

I am also considering Hilton Garden Inn - Airport.  A newer property, but no shuttle (seems odd since only 1 mile from airport).  Plus it is 50% more Hilton points.

I just went to read the Trip Advisor reviews. I agree there are a couple that are just terrible!

The funny thing is that I am on Trip Advisor more than on here on Cruise Critic.

I am actually one of the folks on the San Diego forum who give advice about hotels!!

We had a great stay and we were also on the Honors Floor. I had no trouble at all with the hotel wifi or with strange people knocking on my door!! There was nothing wrong with our room either.

I am not saying this is my favorite hotel in downtown but it was just fine for our stay!

Most hotels in downtown don't have free shuttles to the airport.

Folks here in town would use uber/lyft which is very inexpensive or there's also an airport bus from downtown.

The new Hilton Garden Inn Bayside is probably more because it is really new!

There's an even newer Hampton Inn /Liberty Station which is practically at the airport but farther from the cruise port. It also has a free shuttle and free hot breakfast. I have not stayed there yet to try it out.

I think the DoubleTree is a rotten location personally.

Did you look at the Intercontinental San Diego, the Hotel Republic (Marriott), Residence Inn Bayfront, SpringHill Suites Bayfront, Homewood Suites Bayside & HGI Bayside? All are new in the last few years.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

I think the DoubleTree is a rotten location personally.

Did you look at the Intercontinental San Diego, the Hotel Republic (Marriott), Residence Inn Bayfront, SpringHill Suites Bayfront, Homewood Suites Bayside & HGI Bayside? All are new in the last few years.

I looked at the Residence Inn and Springhill Bayside (love them - stayed there) but over $400  per night.

Will check out the others, but everyone near downtown seems either sold out or very high.

Trying to use either Hilton or Hyatt points, but may have to go cash this time.

Town Place suites by the airport??

Edited by DaveOKC

2 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Hilton points, look at the Hampton Inn on Pacific Highway.

I'll assume the Manchester Grand Hyatt was too pricey or no availability?

Both NA for points.. Would do either one!

Dave,

You haven't said if this is just for right before or after a cruise or if this is for a longer stay??

That would make a difference.

I'd love scott to explain why the Doubletree is a "rotten " location for one night??

It is good to understand reasoning especially when there is a convention in town making other downtown hotels unavailable.

If that's the Doubletree on Front Street it's not any location I would stay.  I'm Hilton brand loyal and have seen it cheaper than other SD Hilton properties.  There's a reason.  It's on the fringe of the nicer tourist walking area.  It's more in the business district and seemed always to have more homeless around than the other Hilton properties closer to the water.  

However, when we go to SD we go to spend a few days and relax.  If you're going just overnight pre-cruise then it will probably be fine.  I would do the Liberty Station or Harbor Island if can't find anything closer to the pier.  We also stay at the Doubletree Mission Valley when we use to go to a Charger's game.  It's very nice and the trolly stops right in front.   

I think the DoubleTree is in a rotten location because it is right off the freeway and a freeway off ramp, the area isn't fun or interesting to walk around in. The views are nothing special.

If I had to stay in a Hilton brand, it would be the last one near the port/airport. I'd choose the Hilton Harbor Island, which I seldom recommend, over the DoubleTree.

45 minutes ago, woody14h said:

On this subject, I heard that Best Western Bayside was a good locale and had shuttle service to/fro airport and pier.  Any negatives? Seems near many sites.

Yes the BW Bayside is fine.

We were discussing Hilton brand hotels in this thread so didn't mention it.

@Scott and Seamylife,

Interesting reasons-There were NO homeless at all near the hotel or on our walk from there to Little Italy restaurants during the day or night. The freeway ramp did not affect our stay either . It is actually in a residential area not a business one and has an easy walk to Little Italy or down the hill to the bay.

I would not recommend it for a few days stay but for an overnight before or after a cruise I think it is just fine! We all have our opinions but if you have not actually stayed there you cannot know for sure how it would feel.

Riff I agree the DoubleTree would be fine for an overnight before a cruise, but it would literally be the next to last hotel (Motel 6 being the last) I'd pick. I'd look at every other hotel I mentioned before first and I'd add the BWP Bayside Inn to that list. Even though it is just a few blocks from the DoubleTree, that puts it a few blocks closer to the waterfront and a few blocks further from the Downtown morning commute.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:42 AM, DaveOKC said:

Thanks for the reply.  I have seen some poor reviews on TripAdvisor, so I needed to get some first hand cruiser knowledge!  I do like the fact that they have an airport shuttle.

I am also considering Hilton Garden Inn - Airport.  A newer property, but no shuttle (seems odd since only 1 mile from airport).  Plus it is 50% more Hilton points.

Dave,

I've stayed at the HGI, which shares space with the Homewood Suites.  No airport shuttle, so I Ubered.  Nice property.  Would stay there again.

Roz

9 hours ago, Roz said:

Just to be sure, are you referring to the HGI Downtown San Diego/Bayside?

Just to be on the same page....  I am pretty sure Dave was talking about the DoubleTree when he referred to some poor reviews and to the HGI Bayside when he said he was surprised there wasn't an airport shuttle, not that it had poor reviews, just no shuttle.

11 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Just to be on the same page....  I am pretty sure Dave was talking about the DoubleTree when he referred to some poor reviews and to the HGI Bayside when he said he was surprised there wasn't an airport shuttle, not that it had poor reviews, just no shuttle.

That is correct!

12 hours ago, scottca075 said:

That was my understanding, maybe it didn't come across correctly in my post. 

Roz

Thank you, all. This discussion has been very informative for us. We are staying 3 nights pre-cruise in January. We also prefer Hilton properties due to our HHonors status. We have booked the Hilton Gaslamp Quarter. San Diego has a relatively compact central core and we are comfortable walking around the marina and Gaslamp Quarter. The cruise terminal is a short Uber ride away.

Rob

Edited by ryndam

1 hour ago, ryndam said:

Thank you, all. This discussion has been very informative for us. We are staying 3 nights pre-cruise in January. We also prefer Hilton properties due to our HHonors status. We have booked the Hilton Gaslamp Quarter. San Diego has a relatively compact central core and we are comfortable walking around the marina and Gaslamp Quarter. The cruise terminal is a short Uber ride away.

Of the all the Hilton properties in Downtown San Diego (7?) the Hilton San Diego Gaslamp would be one of my last choices because of the train tracks and the train signal that goes off constantly. Click on the hotel name above to see what I mean.

If the Gaslamp hotel was one of the easier ones to book with points, now you know why.

I'd start with the Hotel del Coronado and work my way down from there.

33 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Of the all the Hilton properties in Downtown San Diego (7?) the Hilton San Diego Gaslamp would be one of my last choices because of the train tracks and the train signal that goes off constantly.

Thank you for your observation. We are familiar with this Hilton property as well as the transportation idiosyncrasies adjacent to its location.