Its Been a While - Need a refresher

nedac

OK... Its been 11 years since my last cruise... kids will do that to you.

So, I just booked the Carnival Freedom out of Galveston for 2/23/20.

I have a question about dining.... last I cruised, there were 2 seatings, early and late. Now, they have a 'your time' option. I understand the concept, but is there a difference from the scheduled time vs. the open time in regards to menu, etc? Please explain so I can choose. I have 2 rooms booked so making sure we have the same schedule is a must.

Thanks in advance!

With Your Time Dining, you go to the MDR anytime between 5:45 - 9:30 and check in at the front desk. If there's a table available, they'll seat your immediately or, if not, you'll have to wait. Typically the wait isn't too terribly long. Unlike Early or Late dining, with YTD, you'll be seated at a different table every night (often with a different wait staff), but if you get a waiter that you like, you can request to be seated in their section. Just be aware if you do that, there might be a wait if that section is already full.

I don't know if it's available on the Freedom or not, but on some ships, you can check in to Your Time Dining from the Carnival Hub app. It'll tell you when a table's ready and you just let the host know.

Be sure to call Carnival and link your cabins together so you can make sure you're seated together.

In case you're not familiar with the Hub app, it's free to install and nearly all of its features are free to use. Things like deck plans, food venues & menus, a digital version of your Fun Times (you can favorite events and it'll alert you 15 minutes prior), S&S account info., etc. You do not need to purchase one of the internet plans to use the Hub app. There's also a chat feature to chat with members of your party. That's $5 per device (for the whole cruise). Reliability of the chat varies depending on the ship and quality of internet service.

• Like 2

Also,

It seems that the buffet has similar food as the dining room if you feel like "skipping" the dinning room one of the nights. We have done this on "elegant" night to avoid dressing up. 

The HUB app is a great recommendation and will make decisions much easier. It works from the ship WIFI and does not use cell service.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, May1cruiser said:

It seems that the buffet has similar food as the dining room if you feel like "skipping" the dinning room one of the nights. We have done this on "elegant" night to avoid dressing up. 

First of all in the dining room or MDR, the food is not nearly the same and you get served. We do not cruise to go to Golden Corral. We want to sit down and be served. Even on elegant night there is no reason to dress up, slacks and a golf shirt are just fine. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the recommendations... Sounds like YTD is the way to go.

I will definitely get the HUB app.

Speaking of phones and apps, I suspect both my teenage boys will get the internet package, though the cost will come out of their pockets. I guess when we purchase it, we just need to specify who it belongs to?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coevan said:

no, not how it works, you sign onto the wifi and enter a folio number, anyone can use it, but one at a time. You will get $10 off ordering in advance. 

As coevan says, only one device can access a purchased wifi package at a time... if there's likely to be conflict, it might be easier to get them each their own access.

Edited by Shaded Lady

17 minutes ago, nedac said:

So glad I asked... yes, 2 teenagers... there will be conflict. So it is possible to each get their own?

Thank you again!

Definitely. You can pre-purchase an internet package for each person you want from your online Cruise Manager. As has been said, it's cheaper to purchase it before the cruise. When you buy them online, you'll get to choose each person in the cabin. I advise you to download/install the Hub app at home (or from hotel wifi). Trying to do it on the ship's wifi will probably take forever. It acts as a countdown clock before you get on the ship and will let you access your Carnival account, too. Other than that, most of the features aren't available until you're onboard.

When you get on board, be sure everyone turns on Airplane Mode. Then turn wifi back on in order to connect to the ship's wifi. Having Airplane Mode turned on will ensure your phones don't connect to the "Cellular At Sea" service that they'll activate once you're underway. That gets very expensive. You'll still have cell service from your carrier in port, before the ship sails away, so if you want, you can wait to turn on Airplane Mode. But if you think you'll forget, turn it on when you get onboard.

I just returned from t-Mobile and i asked about traveling and airplane mode. I wondered how these exorbitant bills can be attained even if airplane was not on. He said the only issue he could think of is incoming calls. He said don't answer and turn off VM there will be no charge. I then asked about mysterious data charges. He said he had no clue and probably impossible. Unless you "mystically" use your data on Cellular at Sea. He does agree it's safer on airplane mode, but coming home to a huge bill would be the users responsibility. 

First and foremost, turning on Airplane Mode is a simple way to cover one's bases as a preventative measure.

It prevents calls from coming through in the first place. Much easier than not answering and turning off voicemail. As for data, SMS (text) messages sent over a cellular network are data. If you don't turn on Airplane Mode and your phone is in roaming, and someone sends you text messages, that incurs data charges. That's why practically every company that uses text messages includes a warning that says something like, "Standard carrier rates may apply." In addition, smartphones are CONSTANTLY receiving data signals, even when you aren't aware. In the case of iPhones, they have a little rotating circle icon in the top taskbar indicating sending/receiving data. There's just too many settings one would have to turn off individually to prevent the phone from doing this. Yes, the final bill is the user's responsibility, but these data charges can definitely happen without the user's knowledge. It's not necessarily because the user is doing it themselves by playing a game or something that most will know uses data. The fact that your T-Mobile guy "had no clue" is a clear indication that he shouldn't be trusted in these matters. As someone who is quite savvy myself, I know all too well that not all cellular carrier employees are knowledgeable about the products they sell.

Moral of the story...just put your phone in Airplane Mode.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coevan said:

First of all in the dining room or MDR, the food is not nearly the same and you get served. We do not cruise to go to Golden Corral. We want to sit down and be served. Even on elegant night there is no reason to dress up, slacks and a golf shirt are just fine. 

Very good words and advice.

3 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

First and foremost, turning on Airplane Mode is a simple way to cover one's bases as a preventative measure.

It prevents calls from coming through in the first place. Much easier than not answering and turning off voicemail. As for data, SMS (text) messages sent over a cellular network are data. If you don't turn on Airplane Mode and your phone is in roaming, and someone sends you text messages, that incurs data charges. That's why practically every company that uses text messages includes a warning that says something like, "Standard carrier rates may apply." In addition, smartphones are CONSTANTLY receiving data signals, even when you aren't aware. In the case of iPhones, they have a little rotating circle icon in the top taskbar indicating sending/receiving data. There's just too many settings one would have to turn off individually to prevent the phone from doing this. Yes, the final bill is the user's responsibility, but these data charges can definitely happen without the user's knowledge. It's not necessarily because the user is doing it themselves by playing a game or something that most will know uses data. The fact that your T-Mobile guy "had no clue" is a clear indication that he shouldn't be trusted in these matters. As someone who is quite savvy myself, I know all too well that not all cellular carrier employees are knowledgeable about the products they sell.

Moral of the story...just put your phone in Airplane Mode.

Texting is not data, SMS charges do not go against your data plan, however I agree be on the safe side and go to airplane mode

On land-based networks, carriers don't typically charge texting against data plans. SMS are typically passed along on the voice bandwidth. MMS picture messages do require data, but most carriers don't count it against someone's data plan on land. But we're talking about Cellular At Sea here. It's a different beast, your phone is in a state of roaming. You most certainly can incur charges for text messages. How much depends on a person's carrier. Then there's proprietary messaging services, such as iMessage or fb messenger. Those are data transfers. On top of all that, as I said before, smartphones are always sending/receiving data behind the scenes.

And I assume when everyone says turn on airplane mode, they mean, everyone who did not purchase an internet plan, right? 

How do you use the hub app in airplane mode, I assume you allow wifi only?

23 minutes ago, nedac said:

And I assume when everyone says turn on airplane mode, they mean, everyone who did not purchase an internet plan, right? 

I'm sure someone will answer your internet plan question.  I've only use the HUB app when cruising.  You can download the app now and use as a countdown clock!  From Carnival's website -  No internet purchase is required. The app works on Airplane Mode, which means guests do not incur roaming fees. The app works with the ship’s Wi-Fi. 

Happy sails.  

1 hour ago, nedac said:

Even if you do purchase an internet plan, you still turn on Airplane Mode. Then, like you said, turn your phone’s wifi back on. Do this to use the Hub app, an internet plan, or both.

10 hours ago, nedac said:

@Organized Chaos is right.  Put your phone into airplane mode.  Then go back into settings and turn on the wifi capability.  That leaves the rest of the modes off (voice and data), but enables the use of wifi networks.  You will need to do this to use the HUB app and to use the ship's internet packages.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Circling back to the internet plans... if I purchase one, can it be used on multiple devices, just not at the same time? Or, does it register to the one device and you always have to use it?

My wife and I may need to periodically check work email, just wondering if we can buy one plan, then log in at separate times to check.

Thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, nedac said:

Circling back to the internet plans... if I purchase one, can it be used on multiple devices, just not at the same time? Or, does it register to the one device and you always have to use it?

My wife and I may need to periodically check work email, just wondering if we can buy one plan, then log in at separate times to check.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can log out of one device and into another without any issues.  DH and I always share a plan.

8 minutes ago, nedac said:

Thanks in advance!

Yes- anyone who has the access to the folio number it was reserved under can use it... it will log someone off if you try to log on, so just make sure you warn the original user to avoid teenage angst!