Is The Encore Transatlantic (11/2) a Cruise About "Nothing"?

need2cruisesoon

I'm thinking of a TA cruise this fall and looked at the Encore, I mean this is a cruise about nothing right?

9 days of nothing unless you live in London in the summer and NY in the winter and have an aversion to flying.

Date Cruise Ports Arrive Depart
Sat, Nov 02, 2019  London (Southampton), England (EMBARK)  ---  5:00 pm 
Sun, Nov 03, 2019  At Sea ---  --- 
Mon, Nov 04, 2019  At Sea ---  --- 
Tue, Nov 05, 2019  At Sea ---  --- 
Wed, Nov 06, 2019  At Sea ---  --- 
Thu, Nov 07, 2019  At Sea ---  --- 
Fri, Nov 08, 2019  At Sea ---  --- 
Sat, Nov 09, 2019  At Sea ---  --- 
Sun, Nov 10, 2019  New York, New York  7:00 pm  Overnight 
Mon, Nov 11, 2019  New York, New York (DISEMBARK)  8:00 am  ---
  • Haha 1

Nothing, unless you enjoy sailing on a brand new ship and being among the first to check out its dining, lounge and entertainment facilities.  Would a stop in the Azores add that much?  I have enjoyed the sea days on all of the NCL transatlantic cruises I have made.  

• Like 3

NCL cut the schedule and rerouted from Miami and a southern route to NYC and a northern route so they can do PR.  People bailed off the cruise, but there is a cadre of folks staying with it.  

Probably the longest booze cruise in NCL history.  Cheers and bon voyage!!  I wish everyone a great cruise!

• Like 2

There are so many other cruise options out there - why take this one - the carpeting won’t all be laid, cabins won’t all be complete, entertainment will still be in “rehearsal”, not only will the weather keep the pools from being filled - but there’s rough seas in the Atlantic in November, there’s no port to take on fresh provisions (9 days of “fresh” fruit and veggies?), no shore excursions, shopping, for what? 

I don’t think so, definitely not!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cruise Mama said:

There are so many other cruise options out there - why take this one - the carpeting won’t all be laid, cabins won’t all be complete, entertainment will still be in “rehearsal”, not only will the weather keep the pools from being filled - but there’s rough seas in the Atlantic in November, there’s no port to take on fresh provisions (9 days of “fresh” fruit and veggies?), no shore excursions, shopping, for what? 

💯👍👏

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cruise Mama said:

If I booked this cruise Mrs. Dawg would say "I hope you like to do nothing alone. I'm off to Aruba."😁

7 hours ago, Cruise Mama said:

The lure of a TA is it being less crowded and cheaper.  Imagine being able to get into every entertainment venue and finding a seat without reservations or waiting in line.  The specialty restaurants are not booked up.  It is truly freestyle cruising.  Throw in a new ship and it gets more attractive.  Sure there may be some bugs to be ironed out, but that is part of the journey.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cruise Mama said:

the carpeting won’t all be laid, cabins won’t all be complete,

Not quite correct.  This is an inaugural, not a post drydock.  The ship has to be delivered to the owner completed by the shipyard.

8 hours ago, Cruise Mama said:

there’s no port to take on fresh provisions (9 days of “fresh” fruit and veggies?)

Most ships don't take on fresh provisions during a 7 day cruise, and even longer ones, they normally take provisions only at turn-around day, so even 10 or 14 day cruises will only pick up provisions at the start.  Unlike your refrigerator, where the fruits and vegetables hide in "crisper" bins where one grape going bad can cause everything else in the bin to start to go off quickly, the provisions folks have people assigned to go through all of the provisions, daily, and remove anything that is even starting to go off, so it does not contaminate the rest of the produce.  There is also better air circulation in the walk-in boxes, and ozone generators in the boxes that retard spoilage.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Did this itinerary on the Escape inaugural TA and it was heaven.  We spend at least part of every day in the thermal spa. Roll Call put together a huge cabin crawl, so we got to see all of the different room types.  They had a bunch of special entertainment options that were only on board for that sailing.  One of the best cruises I have ever done.

• Like 1

The other thing about these East to West TAs is the time difference. On 5 of those nights you have to set your clock BACK 1 hour.

That means that 5 of those sea days will actually be 25 hours longs...all of that extra time to stay up late, or to sleep in.

Or both.   😳