Finally booked a Princess Cruise

SausPud

Hi all,

I have cruise 18 cruises (see signature for full details) and have finally picked a Princess Cruise.

I am sailing on the Island Princess 27th July 2021 around the UK. Being from the UK I have finally wanted to visit the rest of the country by ship. It's 14 days and has all the ports of call I am looking for.

I know what to expect from the normal cruise fun and having 3 formal nights is exciting. I have a new tux ready to wear. 

We are staying in a mini suite with Club Class. I am a foodie and this appealed to me. It was only £90 more than a normal mini suite so a no brainer and due to a P&O cruise I am gold member in the Captains Circle and got an additional £100 off the price, so the upgrade was cheaper than free, bonus.

What I am asking, is there any advice or tips with Princess that I need to know or can you kind people help me out with any additional information that a brochure won't tell me. 

I can advise on the British Weather or anything UK related, but never having sailed Princess, there are always little differences between cruise companies.

I am aware that Island Princess will be Medallion Class by the time I sail on her and that is exciting to experience that.

Thanks in advance

Saus

Welcome to the world of Princess.  You are taking my dream cruise.  I all ways wanted to do that cruise.  As for secrets about Princess , I can't think of any off hand.  But I cruise the Caribbean mostly, so it might be different.  I know on the last sea day on Regal they have a sea food bar in the buffet.  My husband loves it.  Maybe they might have it on your ship.  I would ask a chef at the buffet about it.

Hello! I am very fond of Princess Cruises, too. Once sailed around the UK on Ocean Princess. I believe it has been sold by now. It was one of the Renaissance Class Ships that nowadays sail as Azamara, Oceania and Vasco da Gama. I loved it. I still remember one day we were docked at a tiny place in Cornwall when the school cheerleaders came and the mayor himself welcomed each and every passenger with a handshake.

Long way off, but here is just some information.

Arrive at least 30 minutes for theater shows. The shows, especially production shows, fill up.

Club Class is true anytime dining. Walk in just about anytime the DR is open and you should be promptly seated. DR is open for breakfast and dinner every day and for lunch on sea days.

Buffet is open every day from around 5am until late evening, never closes during that time.

No charge for room service, except for pizza which has a $3 delivery charge.

Twinnings tea bags available in the buffet.

You can carry on 1 x 750ml bottle of wine/pp at no charge. These bottles are for use in your cabin. Additional 750ml bottles can be carried on and are subject to a US$15 corkage fee. These bottles can be used anywhere on the ship. If you do not finish a bottle of wine at dinner the waiters will store it for you. Fortified wine not allowed.

You can bring on as much non-alcoholic beverage as you like, no limits.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@SausPud

I have a new tux ready to wear. 

In today's dining wear requirements be prepared to be overdressed;  tuxes are likely to noticeable by their absence.

I'm wondering if UK cruisers are a more formally dressed bunch? I think the OP might find a higher % of tuxes on this cruise, but regardless, wear a tux and be happy - and admired by others!

We're fairly casual In AUS/NZ but you'll still see a few tuxes on formal nights. The males in my family wear them (what other chance do you get these days?) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mum and son said:

I'm wondering if UK cruisers are a more formally dressed bunch? I think the OP might find a higher % of tuxes on this cruise, but regardless, wear a tux and be happy - and admired by others!

We're fairly casual In AUS/NZ but you'll still see a few tuxes on formal nights. The males in my family wear them (what other chance do you get these days?) 

Having cruised out of Southampton, I can attest that our experience was that UK cruisers definitely are more formally dressed than those out of the USA.   The first informal evening especially, men were dressed in "dinner jackets" which were on the whole nicer than formal wear seen in Caribbean cruises, and wearing my usual polo shirt and khakis I felt underdressed for the occasion.

To the OP I would say "please ignore the formal wear posts on the Cruise Critic boards, as most do not apply to cruises out of the UK."  Even if fashion is changing you can't go wrong dressing well.

• Like 3

Thanks to all the posters for some great positive advice.

Being a Brit, I go all out on formal nights as it's a great fun experience. And as we aren't flying to the ship, we can carry all the formal wear and other outfits without a weight issue or expense. 

We only sail round trip now out of Southampton, and I can definitely agree that with a majority of passengers being Brits, on formal nights a majority of passengers will be dressed in either tuxes for men  irlong it short evening/cocktail dresses for the ladies . Just "dress to impress and you will be fine.

44 minutes ago, SausPud said:

Is this a proper afternoon tea? Little sandwiches, cakes, scones etc

Being from the US, I really don't know what a proper afternoon tea is.  But they do have little cakes type things and very good scones.

I

1 minute ago, geocruiser said:

Being from the US, I really don't know what a proper afternoon tea is.  But they do have little cakes type things and very good scones.

I

That is the main part with sandwiches and a proper cup of tea or two. Normally serviced by a waiter with white gloves on. And a piano playing as well.

Just like on Downtown Abbey.

51 minutes ago, SausPud said:

Is this a proper afternoon tea? Little sandwiches, cakes, scones etc

Believe it's proper. Waiters come around with silver tea pots. If you want you can request a tea, for example Earl Grey, English Breakfast, Green. Little sandwiches, scones, cookies are served. Clotted cream, don't think so.

Not too bad for free.

I had on Fred Olsen to pay but you did get special tea, like gunpowder. Actual gunpowder mixed with tea, wrapped in green leaves that when drunk gives a little kick to the tea.

Was only £6 ($9) each.

4 hours ago, SausPud said:

Not too bad for free.

I had on Fred Olsen to pay but you did get special tea, like gunpowder. Actual gunpowder mixed with tea, wrapped in green leaves that when drunk gives a little kick to the tea.

Was only £6 ($9) each.

I believe the previous poster was referring to Princess "High Tea" and what you describe sounds like that.  While you can get free tea, the High Tea is a for a fee.  IDK as never did that, but it will be priced in the Patter if available. 

I am no expert on this but Regal and Royal have it and the Royal Tea Service is $10  - or $20 with "champagne" (sparking wine).  A similar thing is in China area I think.  I don't think all ships offer the "High Tea".  Regular tea is free.

Edited by steelers36

I haven't been on the island, and all of my cruising has embarked from US ports, but i really do love the crafting the cruise directors do.  i've had napkin folding, quilling, lei making(this was on a Hawaii cruise of course), card making.  i always find them enjoyable little diversions and aim togo to as many as i can on every cruise.   i'm not very good at any craft or art, but i do enjoy the attempt and i find the sessions very relaxing.

Edited by vampiress

I'll respond on a couple of points.

Formal attire.  Princess is steadily moving towards less formality.  That said, your cruise, at the peak of UK holiday season will attract a large fraction of Brits.  A similar cruise we took in 2017 had 45% UK holiday makers.  As a group there's no doubt Brits are more formal than we American's.  With such a high fraction on board you'll be in good company in full regalia!  

Afternoon tea.  You'll be served a selection of scones and small sandwiches which are sure to evoke a sense of another era.  However, this will have been prepared for a mass audience so one must forgive small slights (untrimmed crust and the like).  Still, it's a nice service and well worth enjoying a time or three.

Club Class.  You make mention on striking a good deal and upgrading to Club Class for a 'foodie' experience.  Since the up charge was modest I think you're sure to see real benefit from Club Class dining.  The dining environment is simply a subset of one of the main dining rooms.  Linens are slightly upgraded.  Menu's are basically the same (as the main room) with an added dish or two at each lunch and dinner.  You'll have a small, very dedicated service team working this area, on a ship this size no more than about 7 waiters / assistants who work closely together to serve the room.  One perk which is anything but obvious is pace of service which can really drag in the main dining room.  The reason for this is that Club Class staff have "front of the line" privilege in the kitchen meaning they don't have to queue up to gather their orders, this can result in very fast service.  This isn't always a good thing - if you need the pace slowed a bit simply make your preference known.

Welcome to Princess and more than happy to clarify any of the points I've made that may not be clear.