Hurricane Dorian

BlueHerons

On 8/31/2019 at 8:55 AM, hrhdhd said:

Figures. I actually managed to get a generator on Thursday. 🙄

Well, at least you won't have to run out to fight the crowds to get one the next time...

I was watching some footage from Sebastian Inlet webcam - the amount of "angry" surf just astounded me, even with the hurricane still away.  And, the Cocoa Beach pier webcam looks like it's not going to take much higher surf for the waves to break on the pier.    Still worried that my friend's 1950s beach cottage across the street from the beach fares well - not so much the water, but the wind is what worries me.  It's a very simple old wood structure, but with a 2018 roof (after the last hurricane).   I'm packed and ready to fly down to help her if things go sideways. 

24 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Well, at least you won't have to run out to fight the crowds to get one the next time...

I was watching some footage from Sebastian Inlet webcam - the amount of "angry" surf just astounded me, even with the hurricane still away.  And, the Cocoa Beach pier webcam looks like it's not going to take much higher surf for the waves to break on the pier.    Still worried that my friend's 1950s beach cottage across the street from the beach fares well - not so much the water, but the wind is what worries me.  It's a very simple old wood structure, but with a 2018 roof (after the last hurricane).   I'm packed and ready to fly down to help her if things go sideways. 

Florida will be fine. No landfall in Florida is in the realm of possibility at this point. We dodge this one. 

The Bahamas are in horrible shape though. 

Yes, we did dodge this one, thankfully.  It is still churning around off our coast, now a Cat 2.  Moving North very slowly.  I hope it continues to weaken and never hits land again.  I feel so bad for the Bahamas.  The people there are lovely and I wish them the best.

I'm going to touch base with my friend tomorrow.  It looked like the combination of the King tides and surge and wind did push water up into some of the dunes and sea oats on the beach by her cottage, but didn't make it all the way over and didn't get up to the street.  She has extensive tropical landscaping around the cottage (her house tenant owns a landscape company), so I hope they were all pruned back to survive.  

Good morning....the rains are coming this way later this morning.  It is supposed to rain most of the day

but nothing compared to any of those horrific conditions in The Bahamas:classic_sad:

My heart aches for everyone affected:classic_sad:

4 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

slidergirl, indigenous plants are by nature hardy enough to survive the salt water king tide.

I know,  but the sand deposited on top of the plants is a bit of a mess.  I'm just worried about my friend's trees among her landscaping - lots of fronds and branches.   ( I haven't been able to contact her yet).   It may just be cleanup of loose stuff, but it may be loss of some of it.  I'm just a worrywart, I guess.   She worked so hard after Michael to renovate the place that my heart would break if anything happened.  

1 hour ago, hrhdhd said:

Do you mean Matthew? Michael wouldn't have caused much damage in Cocoa Beach.

Too many to remember - I probably meant Matthew and/or Irma.  She just finished the roofing in May 2018..

But good news - her house, cottage, and landscape fared OK.  Her places have a straight, unobstructed shot in from the ocean (no high-rises or other homes in the way), so I was nervous about old structures taking any hit.  

16 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Too many to remember - I probably meant Matthew and/or Irma.  She just finished the roofing in May 2018..

But good news - her house, cottage, and landscape fared OK.  Her places have a straight, unobstructed shot in from the ocean (no high-rises or other homes in the way), so I was nervous about old structures taking any hit.  

I am glad that your friend and her house are ok. My heart aches for those affected in the Bahamas too!

6 hours ago, AngelDisney said:

I am glad that your friend and her house are ok. My heart aches for those affected in the Bahamas too!

I keep looking at those photos of the islands and I still cannot believe the devastation.  I'm not even sure how all that debris can be moved to start over from scratch.  Those doing the digging through debris are going to have to be sturdy souls - I'm sure they will uncover bodies and bodies.   What does one do when your home is destroyed and it could be years before you can even start to rebuild?  I would not wish this on my worst enemy.