Smart shorts

scubadiverswife

I don’t quite understand why smart shorts ( I.e. tailored) are a problem on casual nights - particular on warmer cruises. Surely if men have to wear long trousers, then women should have to wear long dresses!

27 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

I seem to remember reading “No shorts anywhere on the ship after 6pm” , but I can’t remember where. Obviously this wouldn’t include your cabin 😀

I have seen that sign on Britannia.

42 minutes ago, Spike11 said:

I don’t quite understand why smart shorts ( I.e. tailored) are a problem on casual nights - particular on warmer cruises. Surely if men have to wear long trousers, then women should have to wear long dresses!

The temperature in the restaurants, bars and theatre is the same whether you are in the Caribbean or the Arctic.

19 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

The temperature in the restaurants, bars and theatre is the same whether you are in the Caribbean or the Arctic.

Inside yes, but not outside! Many people ( me included) will spend part of their evening inside and part outside ( on the promenade deck or on the outside decks).

29 minutes ago, Spike11 said:

Inside yes, but not outside! Many people ( me included) will spend part of their evening inside and part outside ( on the promenade deck or on the outside decks).

So whatever you wear, you are going to inappropriately dressed for half the evening.

My husband was wearing smart tailored shorts whilst we were having a quick drink in the Crow's Nest 5:45pm before getting ready for dinner on  Aurora and we were politely told (with a tapping tof their watch) that there is a dress code at 6:00pm in there - in other words leave now!!! 

• Like 1

I don't understand that either.  Out of interest, would you go out to dinner in the UK wearing shorts?  Don't see the difference.  The inside of the ship is usually on the cool side.   Don't want to see hairy legs at the dinner table!!!

• Like 3

Personally I really don't mind what other folk wear but P&O ask for no shorts in the MDR and several bars.   Slowly but surely the dress code is becoming less strict and my guess is that it won't be long before shorts are accepted.  That would upset a lot of people but please many others.   To my mind P&O are trying hard to keep the dining rooms smart and not allowing shorts is an easy distinction for the staff to make.  If they for example allowed "smart tailored" shorts then already over busy staff will immediately  face more confrontation as customers push the new limits over what constitutes smart, how much their shorts cost (irrelevant) etc etc.  I feel very sorry for the staff as it is with some passengers deliberately pushing the current advice P&O give.   If you are to have a dress code then either enforce it properly or scrap it completely, I don't mind.          

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't understand that either.  Out of interest, would you go out to dinner in the UK wearing shorts?  Don't see the difference.  The inside of the ship is usually on the cool side.   Don't want to see hairy legs at the dinner table!!!

....and you don't get hairy legs with a kilt? 

4 hours ago, Palaceman said:

I have my own dress code. If I can wear it on the golf course then it is not appropriate for the evening.  Therefore polo shirts and shorts are definitely out.

In my home town, shorts and polo shirts or even T shirts are the norm for dinner at clubs, pubs and restaurants.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

The dress code police are out on patrol after that, both crew and certain pax acting as sheriff's deputies, or so they perceive themselves to be.🤬

Oh so true.  Have seen some passengers work them selves right up over it.  So funny.

Edited by chrisg1uk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dgs1956 said:

Would you make that comment about any other countries National Dress?

Bermuda shorts are not National Dress even in Bermuda.

Do you know that Bermuda is the only place in the world where Bermuda Shorts is the national dressfor men. The formal shorts are tailored as suit trousers and must be no more than 3 inches above the knee.

Mr Google provided the above answer, of course he could be wrong, it does also state that they should be worn with a Jacket and tie.