GTY Cabin - is it really guaranteed?

hurwitz5

We booked a GTY cabin on the September 8 sailing on the Summit.  The ship sails 9 days from now and we still don’t have a cabin assignment.  Has Celebrity ever not come through with a cabin?  A few years ago we booked a cruise on Princess.  They overbooked the ship and called us to see if we would go on another sailing.  They offered financial incentives to do so.  Unfortunately, we couldn’t change our date and didn’t take the offer.  Has anyone not gotten a cabin from Celebrity after booking a GTY?  We have been told by our travel agent that we can receive a cabin assignment up to one day prior to sailing.  As we are driving to port, we don’t have to worry about flights.  However, it would be nice to know if we will be sailing before we stop our mail and start packing.

Both Celebrity and Princess honor their guarantee obligations.  Sometimes, you do not get your cabin assignment until the very last minute, but you have the guarantee.

If they are overbooked, they will increase the bribes to passengers until they get enough takers.  Just like the airlines do.  Somehow, they will get enough cabins empty to fulfill their obligations.

Last summer, I flew to Vancouver without knowing my cabin assignment.  I did not get the cabin assignment until 12 hours before boarding.  Not a problem, really -- like, what benefit would I have gotten from knowing earlier?   The hotel front desk lent me a Sharpie to write my cabin number on my luggage tags!

• Like 1

FlorenceItaly. We also sailed on the Summit in June and liked the refurbishment.  We liked driving to the port and the ship so much that we decided to sail again 3 months later.  As of this morning (August 31),  we still have no cabin.  Wonder if Celebrity assigns cabins over the Labor Day weekend.  

Enjoy your Labour Day weekend and don't worry about your cabin assignment.   It will happen.  Think positively.....perhaps you won't even find out until you check-in and just think of the surprise if you were upgraded to a category better than what you booked.   Move-up offers are offering everything from CC, FV, AQ and suites.   So rest assured you will end up with the minimum being what you booked and the possibility of a higher category.

Please come back and let us know what you are assigned.

Enjoy your Summit cruise.

50 minutes ago, hurwitz5 said:

FlorenceItaly. We also sailed on the Summit in June and liked the refurbishment.  We liked driving to the port and the ship so much that we decided to sail again 3 months later.  As of this morning (August 31),  we still have no cabin.  Wonder if Celebrity assigns cabins over the Labor Day weekend.  

We were on the June 16-June 27 sailing.  We drove to the port from SC.  Lucky you to be cruising again.  Please come back and let us know when you get assignment.

It can't hurt to call and ask them. Bring attention to your cabin non-assignment but I agree with others.  You will probably  hear something after the move up offers are processed and those usually happen 3 days before sailing.  I have met a few folks who found out their cabin assignments at the dock.

Thanks for the info about when the move up offers are processed.  Regarding finding out a cabin assignment at the dock: when we arrive at the ship, we give our luggage to the porters.  Who exactly would give us the cabin number?  The porters wouldn’t have it.

19 minutes ago, hurwitz5 said:

Thanks for the info about when the move up offers are processed.  Regarding finding out a cabin assignment at the dock: when we arrive at the ship, we give our luggage to the porters.  Who exactly would give us the cabin number?  The porters wouldn’t have it.

the porters will have it

These boards never fail to amaze me - what a wealth of information!  Thanks!  We have been on 20+ Celebrity cruises.  I had no idea that the porters would have the ship’s manifest with cabin numbers.  I knew they had luggage tags. 

1 hour ago, hurwitz5 said:

These boards never fail to amaze me - what a wealth of information!  Thanks!  We have been on 20+ Celebrity cruises.  I had no idea that the porters would have the ship’s manifest with cabin numbers.  I knew they had luggage tags. 

They need it so that they can fill out luggage tags. They are blank and a black marker is used

When you book a guarantee you are guaranteed to sail. The only thing people debate on guarantee/not guarantee is room type. You are guaranteed the room type you booked or better. Occasionally assignments come for ‘upgrades’ that people don’t believe are better than what they booked.

Thursday at 12:00 noon - found out our cabin assignment on line - Celebrity Check In.  We, and our friends, both booked inside guarantee cabins on or about August 8.  We are on deck 2 midship.  Our friends are on deck 7 forward.  We are Elite and our friends are Select.  Wonder how Celebrity decides which people go in which cabins.

23 minutes ago, hurwitz5 said:

Thursday at 12:00 noon - found out our cabin assignment on line - Celebrity Check In.  We, and our friends, both booked inside guarantee cabins on or about August 8.  We are on deck 2 midship.  Our friends are on deck 7 forward.  We are Elite and our friends are Select.  Wonder how Celebrity decides which people go in which cabins.

Random ..being Elite does not help. You can call and switch cabins if another one of the same category is available