Why do you hate HAL so much?

LoveHAL

5 hours ago, ricka47 said:

We like this about RCI/X.  We don't actually earn points on RCI while sailing X.  But, our status level on one line is matched on the other.  I would certainly like to see this practice on other lines. 

MSC, who we have yet to try, takes this even further by matching the status given by other companies.  So, we are already at their top tier despite never having set foot on an MSC ship!

I didn't know that about MSC. Interesting. But don't expect that kind of status level matching in the Carnival family. There are too many lines, which means too many people with lots of voyages/days. I would love it if I could get credit for my HAL and Cunard days combined. But I don't think it will happen. 

I don't understand your comment about wanting to stick with Carnival Corporation brands. Seabourn IS a Carnival Corporation brand. And you automatically become a Seabourn club member with a 5% discount AFTER your first cruise with them. I'm suggesting a unique incentive offered ONLY to those who have reached 4 star status.  

10 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Not a bad idea.  RCCL awards reciprocal loyalty benefits across their lines so I'm surprised Carnival Corp hasn't done it yet.  

As a five star mariner,  who always books Neptune suites, even now as a solo,   (usually  200% fare)  IF I wanted to  sail seaborn I would .   For what a Neptune costs for a solo,  I can sail any line fo r about   the same Price.  I   do NOT WANT to  sail other  than  HAL but for maybe a  'one of' somewhere else.      My loyalty  to HAL is for  many reasons and MOST of   which   are the people.  For me and my late dh,   HAL has always been about  the people.  Why is it so hard for some posters here to understand Some of us make our choices predicated on our personal reasons?       I LIKE HAL well, gee,  as a Platinum Medallion holder,  I would think someone would find that to   be obvious.   IF Carnival  ' gave away  the store'  I would consider t he offer.   I might be dumb but  I am not stupid.  🙂

I have sailed RCL once and never returned.  There has to be a message  there

I have sailed "X" about 5-6 c ruises and the same for Princess.  I have sailed Carnival once (sort of--   long story).

also, one cruise on NCL and I admit they exceeded my expectations.  I have not yet returned  but do not rule out the possibility.

Years ago, SilverSea invited me to lunch on their ship. I suppose they were courting my business  but I didnot   choose to sail them .  "MY "  cabin on  HAL ships  beats their commensurate.  And they do not have an  HAL  crew.

image.png

image.png

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I'll edit to add that I would like to stick with Carnival Corp brands.  They don't have the "hotel at sea" feeling like RCI, for example.  I like to know I'm at sea.

That comment doesn’t make any sense. Have you sailed RCI Radiance, Vision or Sovereign Class?  Empress?  Have you sailed Celebrity or Azamara?  What about Silversea?

if you’re basing the whole corporation on just RCI’s biggest ships, it would only stand to reason you wouldn’t cruise Carnival Corp ships based on CCL’s new Mardi Gras.  

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Comparing a cruise -- even one of only a week or so -- doesn't seem to me exactly the same as a flight of a few hours. There are many more opportunities for multiple interactions/conversations with the same people.

The line wasn't really 'luxury' (more like historic/adventure travel) and I don't think the type of things remembered would ever have been noted down by anyone; certainly they were not provided by me.

You are correct, an airline does not know as much about you as the cruise line but, as a service industry, the staff still has to pretend a lot.

OK, think what you wish but you are really fooling yourself if you think they can remember the thousands and thousands of passengers they see every year.

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Even though it's based on fraud?

People can remember many faces for a long time. The "fraud" would be that they do as if they remember your favorite drink instead of looking it up. That's a white lie, just like the crew at the gangway asking if I enjoyed Barcelona as if they care.

I've met a bartender after 2 years and he literally hugged me. No way there was a list for 2500 pax, with pictures, that he learned during turnover, with 50 of them that he should meet with great enthousiasm for their outstanding drinking habits.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Asians may be a bit different from westerners. To them, social relations is important.

It is also possible that social-friendliness is a criteria in choosing the employees. 

As a culture, they are very much more subservient than us Westerners. And yes, "social-friendliness is a criteria in choosing the employees.".  Having a good memory is not. LOL

22 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Even though it's based on fraud?

Fraud? Really?  That's a pretty serious accusation ... I doubt that any HAL staff has ever deprived me of a legal right by calling me by my name when they recognize me!!!  Enough said!  🙄

29 minutes ago, twodjs said:

I don't understand your comment about wanting to stick with Carnival Corporation brands. Seabourn IS a Carnival Corporation brand. And you automatically become a Seabourn club member with a 5% discount AFTER your first cruise with them. I'm suggesting a unique incentive offered ONLY to those who have reached 4 star status.  

Yes, I know Seabourn is a Carnival Corp brand, and that's why I would like to try them. Celebrity and Royal Caribbean feel like Las Vegas hotels to me -- not sea-going vessels.  I've not tried other RCI brands -- don't really want to. 

And the point I made is that my price did in fact go down 5%, which surprised me.  The only thing I could think of is that they recognized my identity from other Carnival brands.  I was assigned a Seabourn Club number, but I've not sailed with them.  YMMV

Edited by AncientWanderer

20 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

People can remember many faces for a long time. The "fraud" would be that they do as if they remember your favorite drink instead of looking it up. That's a white lie, just like the crew at the gangway asking if I enjoyed Barcelona as if they care.

I've met a bartender after 2 years and he literally hugged me. No way there was a list for 2500 pax, with pictures, that he learned during turnover, with 50 of them that he should meet with great enthousiasm for their outstanding drinking habits.

Certainly there are exceptions where a crewmember remembers a specific passenger.  Rare, but it happens.  

Question: do you think he remembers every passenger from every voyage?

23 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

Fraud? Really?  That's a pretty serious accusation ... I doubt that any HAL staff has ever deprived me of a legal right by calling me by my name when they recognize me!!!  Enough said!  🙄

Would you have preferred 'fake' instead?

How would 'fake' have changed things?

Edited by RocketMan275

Everyone can believe what they want as to crew members memories. I have had many good experiences with it.

1. On my second cruise, about 15 months after the first and on a different ship. I entered the Lido and a steward came up and welcomed me by name and said he had already seen my Mother and Sister and looked forward to seeing me at dinner.

2. On my third cruise, third ship, I was greeted by a bartender. This was after around 3 years.

3. Much later I was sitting at the Crows Nest bar and the Assistant Cruise Director greeted me. It had been at least a year since I had seen him on another ship.

4. Again at the Crows Nest as I was leaving the bartender gave me a message that the bartender in the Ocean Bar asked to see me. He had seen me earlier in the day and wanted to say hello.

There have been others as well. It is possible that HAL keeps some information and gives it to the crew showing who has sailed with them before. I don't know one way or the other. But it does make one feel good the feel recognized.

• Like 1

I’m certain crew do remember returning guests, especially frequent cruisers. But remembering and acting nice is far different than actually being personal friends. That’s where passengers tend to not be able to distinguish the difference. 

But hey, the fact some passengers feel that way means the crew is good at their job. 

Edited by Cruzaholic41
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I’m certain crew do remember returning guests, especially frequent cruisers. But remembering and acting nice is far different than actually being personal friends. That’s where passengers tend to not be able to distinguish the difference. 

But hey, the fact some passengers feel that way means the crew is good at their job. 

I had a MDR server tell me she was going to visit guests in Minnesota who she'd come to know on World Cruise.  Unusual, but friends.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I do believe a lot of the friendliness is real. It would be hard to keep up that facade for the length of a contract. No, they don't become long-lasting personal friendships. But what's wrong with being friendly while you're with people? Sometimes I think we as a culture are losing our social skills.

HAL's corporate culture is happy. Crew smile and say good morning or hello when they pass you in the hallway. Doesn't matter if you're one of "their" passengers. It's what they do. And I find that attitude tends to spread throughout the ship. 

• Like 2

Just a comment...

This thread is a bit of a meandering mess, but the discussion, with all the pros and cons,  has reminded me of so many reasons I really do like HAL.  What is of importance on a cruise to one person, may not be what another person requires.  For us, the pros outweigh the cons.

Thanks OP for the topic.  I can't wait to get back onboard in October!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

As a five star mariner,  who always books Neptune suites, even now as a solo,   (usually  200% fare)  IF I wanted to  sail seaborn I would .   For what a Neptune costs for a solo,  I can sail any line fo r about   the same Price.  I   do NOT WANT to  sail other  than  HAL but for maybe a  'one of' somewhere else.      My loyalty  to HAL is for  many reasons and MOST of   which   are the people.  For me and my late dh,   HAL has always been about  the people.  Why is it so hard for some posters here to understand Some of us make our choices predicated on our personal reasons?       I LIKE HAL well, gee,  as a Platinum Medallion holder,  I would think someone would find that to   be obvious.   IF Carnival  ' gave away  the store'  I would consider t he offer.   I might be dumb but  I am not stupid.  🙂

I'm not sure you understood the context of my post and the person I was responding to.  The point was, if a HAL loyalist decided to try another line, what would be the incentive to try another line within Carnival's portfolio vs all the other choices out there?  If a Celebrity cruiser wants to step up, there is incentive to choose Azamara vs, say, Oceania because Azamara will recognize their status and award the perks.    As mentioned MSC will match anyone, even hotel programs.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Would you have preferred 'fake' instead?

How would 'fake' have changed things?

Changing one word hardly makes a difference when you don't know what you are talking about in the first place.  I can imagine that a lot of staff would also remember you, for some reason or other 🙄

• Like 2

Just now, taxmantoo said:

Changing one word hardly makes a difference when you don't know what you are talking about in the first place.  I can imagine that a lot of staff would also remember you, for some reason or other 🙄

Yes, that's the point.  You can call it 'fake' or a 'fraud'.  Makes no difference.

BTW, they do remember me.  I tip early and I tip often.

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Certainly there are exceptions where a crewmember remembers a specific passenger.  Rare, but it happens.  

Question: do you think he remembers every passenger from every voyage?

That might be an interesting topic to research. 1000 pictures, click Yes if you saw this guest, No if you didn't. The result might be surprising.

Answer: No. Of course not.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I don't know how much memory and social skills help in getting hired, but I'm sure they help in keeping a job and advancing. And I think if someone is a "people person" (I hate that expression, but it applies here) with good social skills, it helps them enjoy their job. 

A waiter on QE2 remembered us after two years and he had only met us once. We were at tea on the first day and he ran across the room, greeting us by name and welcoming us back. He went from the lowest dining room to the top on his second contract, so clearly he was good at his job and good at customer relations. He's still with Cunard, now an assistant maitre d' on QM2 and he still remembers us when we stop by to see him. OK, so he's just one of the many people who have served us on Cunard and most wouldn't know us if they served us again, but his people skills make passengers feel good and  have helped him advance.

I also think it makes staff feel good when you recognize them and greet them, a bit of pride in having done their job well.

+1

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I'm not sure you understood the context of my post and the person I was responding to.  The point was, if a HAL loyalist decided to try another line, what would be the incentive to try another line within Carnival's portfolio vs all the other choices out there?  If a Celebrity cruiser wants to step up, there is incentive to choose Azamara vs, say, Oceania because Azamara will recognize their status and award the perks.    As mentioned MSC will match anyone, even hotel programs.  

They do not provide an incentive. HAL sort of does by making first-timers "Mariners" if they've sailed on a sister line. But really, all that means is a tile and an invitation to the brunch/lunch. And if you think about it, the Mariner brunch/lunch is on a sea day so they'd be feeding you lunch anyway. Not a really big perk. 

So, a question for those still reading this thread: Would some transfer of loyalty status and perks make you more inclined to try another line in the Carnival group as opposed to going outside the group? (Not full transfer. I don't think they'd ever take my 4* HAL status and give it to me on Princess. But they might make my beginner level on Princess (only one cruise) and make me one tier higher than what I'd earned and give me the perks associated with their system, not HAL's.)

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

(Not full transfer. I don't think they'd ever take my 4* HAL status and give it to me on Princess. But they might make my beginner level on Princess (only one cruise) and make me one tier higher than what I'd earned and give me the perks associated with their system, not HAL's.)

Why not add full reciprocation that to your scenario?  For example, Princess granting Platinum status in recognition of 4 Stars on HAL?  That's exactly what the RCCL lines do.

Personally, I'm not usually a perks guy when it comes to cruises.  The lines on which I have the highest status are the lines I've sailed the least in recent years....well, not at all actually.  However, when I tried my first Celebrity cruise, the tipping point that made me book over other lines was the fact they gave me Elite status due to my Diamond status on RCI.   The free evening drinks, free laundry, free internet, etc, associated with that level were very attractive.  

4 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Why not add full reciprocation that to your scenario?  For example, Princess granting Platinum status in recognition of 4 Stars on HAL?  That's exactly what the RCCL lines do.

Personally, I'm not usually a perks guy when it comes to cruises.  The lines on which I have the highest status are the lines I've sailed the least in recent years....well, not at all actually.  However, when I tried my first Celebrity cruise, the tipping point that made me book over other lines was the fact they gave me Elite status due to my Diamond status on RCI.   The free evening drinks, free laundry, free internet, etc, associated with that level were very attractive.  

Carnival has too many lines to do that. I'm 4 star on HAL. That means I could walk onto Princess, Seabourn, Carnival, Costa, Cunard, Aida, and P&O at the 4th loyalty tier. That's potentially giving away a lot of perks and I don't think Carnival would do that. 

And I'm Diamond on Cunard, their 4th tier. So what will I get on HAL where I'm already 4-star?