Breakfast Cereal

lachelli

8 hours ago, beachbum6264 said:

It's the laws of the country you're visiting. I've seen dogs at several ports - not looking for drugs as much as food. Usually a large trash can filled with fruit/sandwiches and other forbidden foods. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but if there are any bad things on the food it can decimate a crop. Think Mediterranean Fruit Fly. The fines can be large. 

What a poor role model for children - shows them that rules don't apply to them. 

10 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The intent of the program is totally ecology based, paper reduction. 

Now I'm even more confused.  I don't see how cereal can be harmful to crops, etc.  I would never think of taking fruit, meats, etc. ashore. I do know that danger.  But if that is what they determined, then I will follow that rule so as not to endanger their island.  But Jimbo states it's because of the plastic and cardboard.  I mean, can you take a granola bar in it's wrapper ashore?  Reason I'm making such a "big deal" of this is that I do take boxes ashore as I've said, and this is because sometimes lack of sleep, the heat, and yea, I admit it, even a hangover can make me feel a bit woozy and believe it or not a box of sugary cereal makes me feel better!  (Okay, I'm weird lol) I am sure no one cares lol, but I'd just like to get it straightened out so I can figure out another remedy lol.  

4 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

Now I'm even more confused.  I don't see how cereal can be harmful to crops, etc.  I would never think of taking fruit, meats, etc. ashore. I do know that danger.  But if that is what they determined, then I will follow that rule so as not to endanger their island.  But Jimbo states it's because of the plastic and cardboard.  I mean, can you take a granola bar in it's wrapper ashore?  Reason I'm making such a "big deal" of this is that I do take boxes ashore as I've said, and this is because sometimes lack of sleep, the heat, and yea, I admit it, even a hangover can make me feel a bit woozy and believe it or not a box of sugary cereal makes me feel better!  (Okay, I'm weird lol) I am sure no one cares lol, but I'd just like to get it straightened out so I can figure out another remedy lol.  

I think you are mixing up too different issues. CCL has instituted a program to reduce waste by moving away from single use items wherever possible, such as cereal. Ports of call have laws against bringing unsealed food ashore. If you brought your own cereal boxes onboard you could still take them ashore, just like any other sealed food, but taking a baggie of cereal from a dispenser ashore would be a no no.

1 minute ago, Crusin Karen said:

Islands have their own rules, trying to protect their environment (mainly fruit, but some other foods).  We have seen people checking cruisers getting off and walking down piers in Mexico asking if they had food (and even confiscating it).   The current focus from Carnival has zero to do with either enabling or stopping the removal of cereal from the ship.  The entire focus is reduction of waste.  Take your cereal off, it is not breaking the rules.  

25 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

Okay, thank you to both of you, Sparks and Jimbo.  Guess I will take a bag of sealed snacks on our next cruise so I can throw them in my tote bag and take ashore.  😎

These real world problems....enjoy your cruise,.

17 hours ago, beachbum6264 said:

It's the laws of the country you're visiting. I've seen dogs at several ports - not looking for drugs as much as food. Usually a large trash can filled with fruit/sandwiches and other forbidden foods. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but if there are any bad things on the food it can decimate a crop. Think Mediterranean Fruit Fly. The fines can be large. 

What a poor role model for children - shows them that rules don't apply to them. 

We see the dogs on all of our Mexican Riviera cruises, especially in Cabo San Lucas. We've been told by the locals they are for food violators.

Edited by sanmarcosman

40 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

I'm late to the party. When did they begin using dispenser? My last cruise was May 2018.

Migrating to them to save paper, cardboard waste over the last month. Tied to a settlement on ecology violations for the corporation. 

9 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I think you are mixing up too different issues. CCL has instituted a program to reduce waste by moving away from single use items wherever possible, such as cereal. Ports of call have laws against bringing unsealed food ashore. If you brought your own cereal boxes onboard you could still take them ashore, just like any other sealed food, but taking a baggie of cereal from a dispenser ashore would be a no no.

Let's be honest here. If someone dispenses some cereal from one of the ship's dispensers into a zip-lock baggie, then that baggie is sealed shut and taken ashore, there's little to no chance anything harmful is going to happen to the port country's ecosystem. Those laws revolve more around foods like fruits & vegetables that often attract insects. It's a greater likelihood that something brought overseas on the ship itself could do harm than a few people and their cereal baggies. I'm not saying break the laws, but there's no need to treat someone who takes a little cereal ashore like Al Capone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Let's be honest here. If someone dispenses some cereal from one of the ship's dispensers into a zip-lock baggie, then that baggie is sealed shut and taken ashore, there's little to no chance anything harmful is going to happen to the port country's ecosystem. Those laws revolve more around foods like fruits & vegetables that often attract insects. It's a greater likelihood that something brought overseas on the ship itself could do harm than a few people and their cereal baggies. I'm not saying break the laws, but there's no need to treat someone who takes a little cereal ashore like Al Capone.

EXACTLY!  This is EXACTLY what I think/thought.  I am in the "health field" and know a little about these things and this just defies logic IMO  

14 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

11 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

EXACTLY!  This is EXACTLY what I think/thought.  I am in the "health field" and know a little about these things and this just defies logic IMO  

You're both right, but the law doesn't succumb very easily to logic. I would not want to argue the point with the local police.

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

You're both right, but the law doesn't succumb very easily to logic. I would not want to argue the point with the local police.

We're not going to waste a few hours in the local PD in Cabo because we put some raisin bran in a baggie and spoil our day there. That's how we look at these matters, too. 

• Like 1

Just now, sanmarcosman said:

We're not going to waste a few hours in the local PD in Cabo because we put some raisin bran in a baggie and spoil our day there. That's how we look at these matters, too. 

Bingo.  The rules are the rules and the law is the law.  When the Mexican authorities question you, they're not going to care that YOU "don't see a problem with it".

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

5 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

5 hours ago, ParrotRob said:

Bingo.  The rules are the rules and the law is the law.  When the Mexican authorities question you, they're not going to care that YOU "don't see a problem with it".

This is why I said I'm not encouraging anyone to break any rules or laws. I was referring more to the treatment some people on here are dishing out to anyone who might do it. Attacking a person's character, accusing them of being bad role models to their children, saying they could be the cause of "decimation of a crop." If some cereal in a baggie is against the law, so be it, but this isn't the crime of the century.

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

This is why I said I'm not encouraging anyone to break any rules or laws. I was referring more to the treatment some people on here are dishing out to anyone who might do it. Attacking a person's character, accusing them of being bad role models to their children, saying they could be the cause of "decimation of a crop." If some cereal in a baggie is against the law, so be it, but this isn't the crime of the century.

No, it's not, but at the same time I see the counterpoint too... it's not just about cereal, it's indicative of a larger disregard for policy in general - which seems to be a recurring theme.

• Thanks 1

Why is it when someone asks a question and are told it's against the law, there are a whole string of ya but!'s? This is where we get the reputation of "ugly Americans". You are traveling to another country and are therefore subject to their laws. It doesn't matter what you think - it is what it is. If you don't agree with the rules, don't go there. People seem to spend way more time trying to figure out how to circumvent the rules than it would take to just go along with them.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2019 at 5:00 PM, lachelli said:

Hello

Are the small individual boxes of cereals available in the buffet at breakfast. 

My kids like to snack in these during the day, so thought it might be handy to grab a couple each morning before going ashore 

Thanks 

They were gone in June!  Large dispensers replaced them!!! Better bring some ziplocs!!!

16 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

People seem to spend way more time trying to figure out how to circumvent the rules than it would take to just go along with them.

A great example of that was Carnival and their illegal dumping. Instead of just abiding by the laws & regulations and separating the plastic waste from the food waste like they were supposed to, in the end they just decided to eliminate several plastic items to keep from having to do it.

I relate taking a little baggie of cereal off the ship to doing 5 mph over the limit on the interstate. Yeah, it's technically against the law, but put away the torches & pitchforks. Let's go back to calling for booze smugglers and people who wear flip-flops in the MDR to be thrown in the brig. 😁

On 9/4/2019 at 5:01 PM, Organized Chaos said:

everyone can bring big baggies and put fruit and sandwiches in them and take them ashore. they are in a sealed container. don't worry about local laws. laws are not for everyone.

4 minutes ago, linbobky said:

everyone can bring big baggies and put fruit and sandwiches in them and take them ashore. they are in a sealed container. don't worry about local laws. laws are not for everyone.

Before you quote an earlier post, maybe you could first read a little bit further into the thread to see where I elaborated more on what I was talking about. Then you can dazzle us with your witty sarcasm. 🙄

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, linbobky said:

Not true, Cozumel is VERY strict with their food laws. 

35 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

I don't understand why you can't just go to the your local grocery store and buy the mini boxes of cereal to take with you. I always travel with snacks because of flight delays and other mishaps. 

What store has mini boxes? Big wholesale clubs? My local supermarket only has the cups, which are so bulky. 

42 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

What store has mini boxes? Big wholesale clubs? My local supermarket only has the cups, which are so bulky. 

My Kroger here in Atlanta has them-a variety pack wrapped in cellophane. Also has the cups. I didn't realize they weren't available everywhere. I usually bring protein bars, granola bars, etc. Plenty of packaged snacks available.