Canadian booking tour in canadian port. US or CA $

FrankieSue

We will be on a Canada/New England cruise. We are Canadians and would prefer to book our excursion in Halifax, NS in Can$ dollars.  Would that be possible with Holland Cruise tours? We really like the excursion offered,  but booking in US $ is a lot more expensive for us.  Have a great Labour Day everyone!

The only way you can pay for a Canadian shore excursion in Canadian dollars is if you book an independent tour with the locals.  When you use Holland America, you use their currency and it's US dollars.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

2 hours ago, FrankieSue said:

We will be on a Canada/New England cruise. We are Canadians and would prefer to book our excursion in Halifax, NS in Can$ dollars.  Would that be possible with Holland Cruise tours? We really like the excursion offered,  but booking in US $ is a lot more expensive for us.  Have a great Labour Day everyone!

We did the Canada/New England cruise several years ago.  In Halifax we walked off the ship and there were taxis there.  We asked how much for a 3 hour tour-it was very reasonable and he took us wherever we wanted.  We were very happy.  Might be a good option for you with Cnd dollars instead of a ship tour in US dollars.

4 hours ago, canadianbear said:

We did the Canada/New England cruise several years ago.  In Halifax we walked off the ship and there were taxis there.  We asked how much for a 3 hour tour-it was very reasonable and he took us wherever we wanted.  We were very happy.  Might be a good option for you with Cnd dollars instead of a ship tour in US dollars.

On my first Canada / New England several years ago I did exactly that. During the tour around Halifax I asked him to stop for me to exchange currency, which he did. At the end I asked if he preferred US$ or CN$ and he asked for US$ and said he would be visiting the US shortly and it would save him converting currency later.

Unfortunately any shore excursions are in U.S. dollars.  I booked 2 ahead of time online and had to pay in U.S.  I would just do as others have said and walk off and find a taxi.  Most ports have tour operators/taxi's right there that you can hire.  I am looking forward to our cruise in 3 weeks, as for a change, all but 2 ports are in Canada so it will be nice to be able to use our Canadian money and not pay a huge exchange!

16 minutes ago, cormike1 said:

Unfortunately any  I am looking forward to our cruise in 3 weeks, as for a change, all but 2 ports are in Canada so it will be nice to be able to use our Canadian money and not pay a huge exchange!

Another bonus is the ability to use your Canadian data plan on your mobile phone -- it saved us a bundle in internet charges!

Yes, it will be a treat to use Canadian money and Canadian data plan while in port...... but all considered, when it comes to shore excursions, I think that we will bite the bullet and book our preferred excursion with Holland.  The ease of booking and the piece of mind we will get in the event of delays, etc.... will be worth the extra.  Thank you all for your inputs.

You might be interested in the tours offered by Halifax Titanic Historical Tours. We paid in Canadian dollars in cash on the tour. We took the tour of the city, the Titanic graves, and lunch in a very quaint fishing village. The tour bus held eight people with plenty of room and Paul, the guide was very informative. It was one of the best tours I have ever taken. They have a website and it is easy to book online. Halifax is fascinating, we had never heard of the Halifax explosion before and learnt so much on the tour.

On 9/2/2019 at 8:22 AM, FrankieSue said:

If  your tours are  HAL booked, sorry but  they operate on U.S. dollar.  Yes,  I realize the exchange rate hurts  some   cruisers ..

Yes, it will be a treat to use Canadian money and Canadian data plan while in port...... but all considered, when it comes to shore excursions, I think that we will bite the bullet and book our preferred excursion with Holland.  The ease of booking and the piece of mind we will get in the event of delays, etc.... will be worth the extra.  Thank you all for your inputs.

4 hours ago, daisybertie said:

You might be interested in the tours offered by Halifax Titanic Historical Tours. We paid in Canadian dollars in cash on the tour. We took the tour of the city, the Titanic graves, and lunch in a very quaint fishing village. The tour bus held eight people with plenty of room and Paul, the guide was very informative. It was one of the best tours I have ever taken. They have a website and it is easy to book online. Halifax is fascinating, we had never heard of the Halifax explosion before and learnt so much on the tour.

A    tour of Halifax is very informaive.  We learned a  great deal.  We rarely book HAL tours but we did for that one and   were very happy we did.  Same in Charlottetown, PEI

4 hours ago, daisybertie said: