Baltimore Marriott Property + August 2020 + Royal Caribbean

pasodancer

Hi everyone:

It is our 1st time leaving out of Baltimore (coming in from VA) so I need your advice.  We are looking for a pre-cruise Marriott Property (under $300/night if possible) that is an easy drive to the port (will park at the port).  BUT, want something that we can safely and easily walk to a restaurant for meals, perhaps somewhere to grab a drink at night.  From posts I've read - am I looking at the Marriott Waterfront Inner Harbor or would you recommend somewhere else?

Thanking you in advance for your help! //Maria

• Like 1

Sad to say I've never actually stayed at the Marriott Waterfront, but I love the location. From the looks of it, the hotel has been updated, has what looks to be a very nice bar, and a concierge lounge, although it appears to be closed on the weekends. You're close to Little Italy, Fells Point, and in Harbor East, so finding a place to eat should be easy, and a drink onsite.

I've stayed at the Renaissance a  number of times. It's close to where things used to happen, if you will. It looks like it's still in the "old" Marriott style and format. Fewer things in the immediate area.

If you're coming in after a long drive, a wild card would be to stay at the Residence Inn Downtown Inner Harbor. It's away from the harbor and the views of the harbor, but it's a little over a block walk to the Hotel Monaco. The B&O American Brasserie (pending negative reports from someone who's been recently) is a kind of cool restaurant, but a VERY nice bar. Not sure about the current staff, but they've had some really nice mixologists in the past.

So, yeah, I think most of us would tell you the Waterfront is our first choice. The Marriott and Sheraton down by Camden Yards are probably my last choice. The airport Marriott is fine if you're driving in from VA, but there isn't much there. The Westin at the airport would be a better choice if you're staying out there.

That hotel is great and there are lots of things around.  You're probably a few weeks too early to book for August 2020 so if you see that it's not available, try back the 1st week-ish of October.  

The Harbor East area, where that hotel is located, is MUCH nicer than Inner Harbor which has gotten a bit, well, old and not as nice as in the past.  I stay at the Marriott Waterfront often and I've also stayed at the Renaissance and Delta. The Ren is fine, but the Marriott is better.  The Marriott Camden Yards would be my 3rd choice.

20 hours ago, pasodancer said:

Hi everyone:

It is our 1st time leaving out of Baltimore (coming in from VA) so I need your advice.  We are looking for a pre-cruise Marriott Property (under $300/night if possible) that is an easy drive to the port (will park at the port).  BUT, want something that we can safely and easily walk to a restaurant for meals, perhaps somewhere to grab a drink at night.  From posts I've read - am I looking at the Marriott Waterfront Inner Harbor or would you recommend somewhere else?

Thanking you in advance for your help! //Maria

We've stayed at the Marriott Waterfront Inner Harbor several times and love it's location. Be sure to ask for a room with a view....it's lovely to sit and watch the boats. It's a short walk to many great restaurants. Enjoy! 

I'm looking for a Marriott property that will allow me to leave my car there for the duration of the cruise.  We always stay at the Best Western Plus but want to use Marriott points this time.  Not sure if any of the Marriott properties have the park and cruise option.

5 hours ago, RFerrington said:

I'm looking for a Marriott property that will allow me to leave my car there for the duration of the cruise.  We always stay at the Best Western Plus but want to use Marriott points this time.  Not sure if any of the Marriott properties have the park and cruise option.

Some of the airport hotels (just checked the Westin and it's still good) have park, stay, and fly packages. None of those show up as redemption offers. You'd probably have to get yourself to the cruise port and back, so I'm guessing the cab would come close to making it a wash on a 7 day cruise versus the hotel plus paying for parking at the port.

If you're going to do a redemption, you'll probably have to call the hotel and see if you can add on the parking, and what it would cost, and then decide if it's worth it.

Thanks for the response.  You are 100% correct.  If we used a package that include parking we could not use points and if we used points and paid for parking it would defeat the entire purpose ($34 a night for parking !), so we’re going with the Best Western Plus as normal.  I just can’t beat the price and convenience no matter how I try. Not only does it include parking but it includes shuttle service to and from the port so that’s where we’ll be - again !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:08 PM, RFerrington said:

Thanks for the response.  You are 100% correct.  If we used a package that include parking we could not use points and if we used points and paid for parking it would defeat the entire purpose ($34 a night for parking !), so we’re going with the Best Western Plus as normal.  I just can’t beat the price and convenience no matter how I try. Not only does it include parking but it includes shuttle service to and from the port so that’s where we’ll be - again !

RFerrington, which BW hotel is the one you stay at? we are looking to drive, stay and park before our cruise and were looking at the BW because of the price but can't decide between the two different ones.

its good to hear from someone that has actually stayed and would recommend...

thanks

I've stayed at the O'Donnell Street location since it was farther north for us.  It was an ok property with an ok restaurant (paid) and breakfast (included).  The shuttle service was excellent and they are fairly close for the return back to the hotel after the cruise to get back on the road.  The negatives are the location (not much nearby) - which was fine for us since we just needed a place to stay and weren't touring the area - and it is also a conference center, so you might have a large group.  A Red Hat group was there when we stayed and depending on the group it can be loud and they can take a lot of space (elevators, tables, etc).

BW Elkridge has great photos and I think that is where Jamman54 tends to stay, who also travels from the North.  It looks like a better overall area and property, but the shuttle wait (especially on return) I've heard can take longer.

We usually drive in day of (around 3 hours) but if we sail again and spend the night we would likely try Elkridge next time.

51 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I've stayed at the O'Donnell Street location since it was farther north for us.  It was an ok property with an ok restaurant (paid) and breakfast (included).  The shuttle service was excellent and they are fairly close for the return back to the hotel after the cruise to get back on the road.  The negatives are the location (not much nearby) - which was fine for us since we just needed a place to stay and weren't touring the area - and it is also a conference center, so you might have a large group.  A Red Hat group was there when we stayed and depending on the group it can be loud and they can take a lot of space (elevators, tables, etc).

BW Elkridge has great photos and I think that is where Jamman54 tends to stay, who also travels from the North.  It looks like a better overall area and property, but the shuttle wait (especially on return) I've heard can take longer.

We usually drive in day of (around 3 hours) but if we sail again and spend the night we would likely try Elkridge next time.

They are looking for Mariott  property not best western

4 hours ago, Tony O said:

They are looking for Mariott  property not best western

I was replying to the post below, which is the post immediately before mine.  I assumed BW meant Best Western, not Marriott.

On 11/18/2019 at 2:40 PM, durhamdeb said:

RFerrington, which BW hotel is the one you stay at? we are looking to drive, stay and park before our cruise and were looking at the BW because of the price but can't decide between the two different ones.

its good to hear from someone that has actually stayed and would recommend...

thanks

18 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I was replying to the post below, which is the post immediately before mine.  I assumed BW meant Best Western, not Marriott.

Oh the hotel that just had a murder the other day about a block away

We always stay at the Best Western Plus on Dorsey. We have never had a problem and have stayed there probably about 10 x. It’s always clean and the personnel are helpful. It seems to be in a safe area and the shuttle to the port works good. Leaving the port it sometimes takes a little while to get there. The free breakfast is upgraded from a normal free hotel breakfast. There is a restaurant in the same parking lot that is good for lunch or dinner. The only downside is the distance to port, but with all the pluses we keep going back. 
Booking thru www.trinityreservations.com gives you the best price and all taxes are included in the quoted price. 

• Like 1

There is a new Courtyard by Marriott in Locust Point (in McHenry Row across from the Cruise Terminal) Great shops and restaurants (& brewery) in walking distance.  I'd also consider this a nice and safe place to stay before cruising out of Baltimore; Locust Point is an awesome neighborhood!  It is a stones throw away from the cruise terminal!

1803 Porter Street Baltimore, Maryland 21230

9 hours ago, BohsandOs216 said:

There is a new Courtyard by Marriott in Locust Point (in McHenry Row across from the Cruise Terminal) Great shops and restaurants (& brewery) in walking distance.  I'd also consider this a nice and safe place to stay before cruising out of Baltimore; Locust Point is an awesome neighborhood!  It is a stones throw away from the cruise terminal!

1803 Porter Street Baltimore, Maryland 21230

I agree 

It's also less than a 5 minute  walk to terminal.

2 hours ago, kingston13 said:

Tonny O - I have the Hilton Garden Inn Harbor East booked would the new Courtyard be better a better choice?

The new Courtyard is about a 5 minute walk to cruise terminal  the harbor  east is about a 10 minute cab ride..

The Harbor east hotel is in the new part of the inner harbor as the Courtyard is outside of the area. 

Depends on what your plans are.