‘Live From’ Spirit of Discovery, 5th-12th September.

cinnamon

18 hours ago, Tigrou said:

On the questionnaire it asks if you will cruise Saga again. I said perhaps in 30 years when I’ve caught up with their demographic.

The questionnaire is more extensive than I’ve seen before and clearly not designed to be ‘machine read’ as with many cruise lines. I made good use of the space available but whether they will take notice remains to be seen. Some of it does seem to be designed to get the answers they want but fortunately there was enough space for me to add things. For example, none of the options under ‘Why did you book this cruise’ applied, so I added an extra tick box and ‘False advertising’. If that doesn’t elicit a response from Head Office then I will the whole questionnaire exercise was pointless.

I am sorry to read, Tigrou, that you did not enjoy your cruise.  It is always difficult if something does not live up to one’s expectations. I am interested that you felt there was “false advertising “; I had never sailed with Saga before and was attracted by the look of the new ship, which I felt certainly fulfilled its promise. It would be naive to go on a brand new ship in the first few weeks of its service and not to expect some teething problems.   I was impressed by the fact that when we filled in a questionnaire half way through our two week cruise, the following day we received a letter with a detailed response the to the three points we raised.  It is early days and Saga are obviously doing their best to make everyone happy.  It would be a shame if people were put off trying The Spirit of Discovery.  Although I am now seventy, I don’t feel that old!  I agree that many of the passengers were not in the first flush of youth, but we met many interesting people. We were never attracted to sail with Saga on any of their older boats, but will certainly hope to be on board the new ones again soon.

10 hours ago, cinnamon said:

I tried the Hydrotherapy pool this afternoon for you!  😅 will write up when home. 

Sounds intriguing!  I'll await your comments!!

Thanks for the exercise class info. It'll help with my packing.

1 hour ago, Londoner51 said:

Your Information about the speciality restaurants has been invaluable.  You’re right, the reservation system does look like it needs to be improved.  We want to eat in all three of them but having to book each one separately and only one at a time and only after you’ve eaten in the first one seems a cumbersome system (unless they think that we’re all so old that we shan’t remember what we’ve booked!).

Funnily enough we got a letter a couple of days ago advising that in light of experience the system had been changed to only allow one booking at a time to make it fair to everyone. It's clear from reports of this cruise that people prepared to be flexible and take seats when offered have been able to visit all three alternatives during a week long cruise. 

There are different ways to ration access to the alternative restaurants, and if they're free to visit then there's got to be some reservation system, e.g. Viking allow booking in advance of sail date in a hierarchy based on cabin grade, with the lowest grade only being able to book once aboard (and only have one booking at a time). There's been a certain amount of grumbling about the fairness of that system on the VO forum, so someone is likely to be put out by even a very carefully crafted system.

Saga are keeping it very simple for the time being but may evolve something more sophisticated in time. It's not as if they're in a bubble, completely unaware of how other lines operate, since they sell cruises on Fred., CMV, HAL, Azamara, and Voyages to Antiquity.

16 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

May I ask how well the smoking policy worked on board? It took me quite a while to find the details hidden away under a slightly obscure heading.

Unless I’ve read it wrong, it appears that smoking is permitted only at the back of Deck 15, (although the decks are shown by letter on the deck plan!), there is no smoking on balconies, and - a HUGE plus for us, the entire promenade deck is smoke free!

Is this the case, and was the policy enforced?

Re smoking - we were on the 4-night cruise 1-5 September and the issue of the smoking location came up at the Captain's Corner on the enforced sea day (when we missed Heligoland).  The person raising the matter was a smoker and very unhappy with the Sun Deck location.  He was arguing for a sheltered space and suggesting, I think, the covered area at the back of the ship on Deck 10 or 11.  The Captain was in full agreement that the arrangement had to change and very supportive of this passenger's suggestion.  Before they implement anything like this, though, Saga should give due consideration as to whether or not the effects of smoke would be felt by passengers in the aft cabins on that deck - I know that has been a problem on other ships.

I would say only around 25% in long evening gowns perhaps even less.  Many cocktail dresses but lots of separates too.

on other evenings many ladies wore a little sparkle but many men like my husband just in formal shirts with or without a tie.

we were expecting 2 formal nights but only had one.  

We are still onboard waiting to be released.  Our expected leaving time is 11.40.

27 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I would say only around 25% in long evening gowns perhaps even less.  Many cocktail dresses but lots of separates too.

on other evenings many ladies wore a little sparkle but many men like my husband just in formal shirts with or without a tie.

we were expecting 2 formal nights but only had one.  

We are still onboard waiting to be released.  Our expected leaving time is 11.40.

Many thanks for this information.  I like to be appropriately dressed but not over-dressed.

11.40am sounds a rather late “release” time!  We’re used to disembarking by 9.30am latest on most cruises.  Are refreshments provided, i.e. coffee/tea?  11.40am is well past our usual coffee time 😀

I think Saga will have to look again at their disembarkation procedure.  Coffee and tea was DIY for us.  Passengers are assigned a waiting area.  We were told The Britannia lounge which was packed out.  So we were told we could wait on the Lido deck.  Fortunately a nice day.  Someone came along periodically calling out the relevant assigned numbers.  We were number 21 the last number was 25.

We were getting rather stir crazy near our allotted time when we realised that the number system was running about 30 minutes late.  The last number called was 19 but since we could see the long line of taxis waiting we decided to get off.  Our bags were there and so was our driver who had been waiting for one hour.   There was a long line of drivers some of whom had been waiting for over 2 hours. 

There is obviously a disconnect between the ship and shore.  

Unhappy passengers and unhappy taxi drivers. 

8 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I think Saga will have to look again at their disembarkation procedure.  Coffee and tea was DIY for us.  Passengers are assigned a waiting area.  We were told The Britannia lounge which was packed out.  So we were told we could wait on the Lido deck.  Fortunately a nice day.  Someone came along periodically calling out the relevant assigned numbers.  We were number 21 the last number was 25.

We were getting rather stir crazy near our allotted time when we realised that the number system was running about 30 minutes late.  The last number called was 19 but since we could see the long line of taxis waiting we decided to get off.  Our bags were there and so was our driver who had been waiting for one hour.   There was a long line of drivers some of whom had been waiting for over 2 hours. 

Oh dear.  It sounds rather grim, not an enjoyable way to end a happy holiday.  It does sound like Saga needs to do some re-thinking about disembarking this ship.  Expecting people to sit outside because of insufficient space inside whilst waiting is far from ideal.

A few years ago we sailed on P&O’s Britannia in her first season.  Disembarkation was a nightmare and we decided to never go back (we weren’t too keen on the ship either!).  I’m sure they’ve since resolved their problem but our first impression was so disappointing that we didn’t want to risk another bad experience.

Hope you’re having a good journey home!

The disembarkation sounds a bit of a fiasco! 

Saga have had a week to coordinate passengers and transport, very much takes the edge off the much hyped included transport to the port!

Were there are passengers disembarking without Saga transport? Were they having to wait for hours as well?

i would certainly prefer to drive to Southampton and park, and was initially pleased to see that Saga cruise parking is provided by my preferred parking company.

Then very disappointed to discover that unlike the self parking / keep your car keys arrangement we usually have with Celebrity and RCCL, Saga has a meet and greet system. Not happy with that, don’t like handing over keys for someone to take our car off site. One of several reasons why we gave up sailing with P and O!

Although disembarkation is a small part of the cruise package, being the last thing passengers experience before heading for home, it can have a relatively big impact on one’s overall impression of the holiday.

We have certainly downgraded some cruises as a result of sitting twiddling our thumbs in a crowded lounge. Especially when one darent leave to visit the loo, or try to find somewhere to get a drink, in case your number is called!

Some of our past cruise experiences have been given higher ratings by us, for the ease with which we got off!

On one ship, we were notified of our leaving time at least a day in advance. We didn’t have to assemble in any specific room, just head to the gangway at the appropriate time, from wherever you were. As passengers were spread around the ship, there was no log jam between the assembly area and the gangway. Our timings even worked for us  so that we were able to stay in our stateroom, and head straight from there to the exit.

With less than 1000 passengers on board, Saga should be able to do a lot better.

Just from a Health and Safety point of view, assembling large groups of people, many of us elderly, with all our carry on bags and coats etc, and then expecting us to vacate the room all at one time, seems pretty short sighted. Getting along the rows of seats and up the aisle in a theatre was bad enough, making our way round the tables in a dining room was even worse. 

A particularly bad bit of planning, which I have seen on other cruises, is when the assembly room is not on the same level as the gangway! Queues for the lifts, a crush on the stairways, people getting their feet trodden on and getting accidentally jostled by bags and sticks - you get the picture! 

Not the best final memories of an otherwise relaxing cruise! And Saga should be fully aware of the disproportionately negative vibes this creates.

1 hour ago, Ergates The Ant said:

The disembarkation sounds a bit of a fiasco! 

Saga have had a week to coordinate passengers and transport, very much takes the edge off the much hyped included transport to the port!

Were there are passengers disembarking without Saga transport? Were they having to wait for hours as well?

i would certainly prefer to drive to Southampton and park, and was initially pleased to see that Saga cruise parking is provided by my preferred parking company.

Then very disappointed to discover that unlike the self parking / keep your car keys arrangement we usually have with Celebrity and RCCL, Saga has a meet and greet system. Not happy with that, don’t like handing over keys for someone to take our car off site. One of several reasons why we gave up sailing with P and O!

We parked our car at Dover and disembarkation was so easy. We were in the first group to be called and we were off the ship within 10 minutes of it being cleared.  We were on our way home 5 minutes later.  So easy

3 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I think Saga will have to look again at their disembarkation procedure.  

On our first Saga cruise, we were totally unprepared for this style of disembarkation. We expected to leave the ship early in the morning and be home by early afternoon, in time to collect our cat that day. With P&O, and driving ourselves, this had been no problem. Unless someone can tell me otherwise, there is no prior warning that you may not leave the ship until almost midday, and we discovered it only the day before. The situation described above seems even worse. I do hope Saga can get this sorted out soon.

The much-hyped photos of a driver dealing with a couple's luggage is also misleading, in our experience. When 4 people are sharing a people carrier, and the other couple are infirm, you have to manage your own. A bit of realism wouldn't go amiss.

Edited by Wacktle
Addition

We’ve been very fortunate today!  Our time was 8.50. The couple sharing with us were slower to get to the car (they were both 92) but we were heading off by 9.00 am. Bit of traffic, second to be dropped off and we were home at 11.20. 

All unpacked, two laundry loads done, some food shopping too. I’m out rehearsing tonight and needed a rest this afternoon beforehand so will compose my thoughts and sum up tomorrow. 

I've a lot to say. The fact that Saga have responded to this blog has been very interesting. 

Well, we are on the ship, and just attended the sailaway party. The ship is absolutely beautiful and we have already met some lovely people. We have already booked the Club and East to West. We’re leaving Coast to Coast until tomorrow to book. I have taken one long dress but mostly cocktail dresses (think Phase Eight) and black trousers and smart tops and short dresses for the other evenings. Loving it already.

Have a great cruise.  You have already overcome the first day "you can only book one speciality" rule that we were told about whilst waiting in a huge line.  Good for you.  Anyway as it happens we did experience all 3 specialities in the end. 

Your dress choices sound perfect.

Welcome home Cinnamon, very interested to hear your final appraisal of your first Saga cruise. The disappearance of the post from said Saga representative, which I also read, is strange. I have to say, there are things I love, ❤️ but maybe too many things I do not love, so for us Saga, whilst looking interesting, will not be our go to cruise line in the near future. 
Never say never, but not as it is now!
Thankyou for your very detailed review, it has been much appreciated!👍😁

15 hours ago, Wacktle said:

The much-hyped photos of a driver dealing with a couple's luggage is also misleading, in our experience. When 4 people are sharing a people carrier, and the other couple are infirm, you have to manage your own. A bit of realism wouldn't go amiss.

A bit of realism about the whole Saga cruise experience is needed in their marketing unless they want people complaining to the Advertising Standards Authority!

One of the people from my shared transport joined me in the Britannia Lounge and during our 2-hour wait we chatted about what was the first Saga cruise for both of us.  He specifically mentioned the photos of people in the brochure being very misleading, that it gives no indication of the reality of a large proportion of passengers being elderly, slow moving, with walking aids and so on.  It wasn't the environment he wanted or was expecting and, like me, had felt somewhat uncomfortable and out of place.  We also shared the same view of the dining situation, the enforced sharing of tables at every meal being far more 'institutional' than 'boutique cruising'.

This gentleman is 75 and felt out of place.  I am 54 and felt like I was on another planet.  

As we drove out of the cruise terminal I saw 2 large billboards with Saga advertising for 'boutique cruising'.  I wanted to get out of the car and take a spray can to them. 😠

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/12/2019 at 8:08 AM, hermioneb said:

I am sorry to read, Tigrou, that you did not enjoy your cruise.  It is always difficult if something does not live up to one’s expectations. I am interested that you felt there was “false advertising “; I had never sailed with Saga before and was attracted by the look of the new ship, which I felt certainly fulfilled its promise. It would be naive to go on a brand new ship in the first few weeks of its service and not to expect some teething problems.   

I was fully aware of the ship being new, wasn't in the least naive on that score and in fact encountered no problems of that kind although I did hear of several issues.

Where I believe Saga is being seriously misleading in their advertising is the 'boutique cruising' hype, aimed at attracting those of us at the lower end of their age group, to build up their future customer base.  Not a single photo shows large groups of elderly and infirm passengers making areas of the ship look like the lounge of a nursing home.  Nowhere in the narrative does it mention that you will be forced to share a table at every meal whether you want to or not, even in the buffet - or indeed that the buffet apparently is going through an identify crisis and can't make it's mind up whether it wants to be self-service or waiter service, and offers exactly the same menu as the MDR anyway.

I am most certainly not someone who believes everything she reads but even I didn't think that in this day and age any company would dare to be quite so blatantly misleading in their advertising as I have found Saga to be.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

I was fully aware of the ship being new, wasn't in the least naive on that score and in fact encountered no problems of that kind although I did hear of several issues.

Where I believe Saga is being seriously misleading in their advertising is the 'boutique cruising' hype, aimed at attracting those of us at the lower end of their age group, to build up their future customer base.  Not a single photo shows large groups of elderly and infirm passengers making areas of the ship look like the lounge of a nursing home.  Nowhere in the narrative does it mention that you will be forced to share a table at every meal whether you want to or not, even in the buffet - or indeed that the buffet apparently is going through an identify crisis and can't make it's mind up whether it wants to be self-service or waiter service, and offers exactly the same menu as the MDR anyway.

I am most certainly not someone who believes everything she reads but even I didn't think that in this day and age any company would dare to be quite so blatantly misleading in their advertising as I have found Saga to be.

If you look at any cruise brochure, for any line, you will see aspirational photos of elegant, slim ladies and tall, handsome men.

As to elderly people being on the ship would you have them banned from cruising?

Good for them getting out there is what I say, life is not a rehearsal.

I hope I'll still be cruising when I'm in my 80's.

I have to say I find all these references to the age of fellow passengers rather rude and discriminatory.

Edited by Glenndale
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We found chatting to passengers who were much older than us fascinating, and many had a true zest for life. On the 2 Saga cruises we've done, there were fewer people with mobility issues than we'd seen on P&O a few years ago. Maybe the demographic changes according to the itinerary. Whatever cruise or hotel holiday you do, there'll always be someone or something you don't like or agree with. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Glenndale said:

If you look at any cruise brochure, for any line, you will see aspirational photos of elegant, slim ladies and tall handsome men.

As to elderly people being on the ship would you have them banned from cruising?

Good for them getting out there is what I say, life is not a rehearsal.

I hope I'll still be cruising when I'm in my 80's.

I have to say I find all these references to the age of fellow passengers rather rude and discriminatory.

I do not consider it rude and discriminatory to tell the truth.  And the truth in this instance is that my fellow passengers were predominantly 30+ years older than me, with a very large proportion of them having mobility issues to varying degrees.

Good on them all for wanting to travel, and I applaud Saga for making it possible for them to do so.

However, I do not want to travel with such a narrow representation of the world, I enjoy diversity.  I wouldn't want to be on any cruise where 90% of the passengers were of a particular group to which I don't really belong, whether it be a particular religion or gender or creed or nationality - or in this case, age.  I do not live in a world which is inhabited exclusively by elderly Caucasian people and I was not comfortable cruising in that environment.  

Saga needs to play to it's strengths, stick to what it clearly does well and advertise accordingly.  Not advertise to attract a different customer base that it hasn't, or isn't willing, to adapt to.