‘Live From’ Spirit of Discovery, 5th-12th September.

cinnamon

30 minutes ago, hermioneb said:

I am so sorry; I meant to put the previous post in the thread about The Grill, and can't find any way to move it there.  I think your blog is marvellous, Cinnamon, and am enjoying reading about your time on the SofD.

Sometimes that can be achieved by reporting the post and asking that it be moved, providing a link to the new thread.

On a desktop if you place the mouse cursor over a post the Report post link will appear in the upper right corner.

image.png.cdf48f99c707dd26efc60198680eb87e.png

Thanks for the updates, hope you have had a wonderful holiday.

Two more questions if you have time? Is there a barista style coffee bar on the ship?

And can I ask what type of snacks are available in the library between meal times.

We have tended in the past to skip the MDR and buffet at breakfast, and head to a coffee bar for a strong espresso and a couple of pastries.

Oh sorry, just thought of something else! Is the MDR open at lunchtime every day, or only on sea days?

many thanks

Ergates

2 hours ago, Ergates The Ant said:

Thanks for the updates, hope you have had a wonderful holiday.

Two more questions if you have time? Is there a barista style coffee bar on the ship?

And can I ask what type of snacks are available in the library between meal times.

We have tended in the past to skip the MDR and buffet at breakfast, and head to a coffee bar for a strong espresso and a couple of pastries.

Oh sorry, just thought of something else! Is the MDR open at lunchtime every day, or only on sea days?

many thanks

Ergates

The machines in the Library and buffet are Bean to Cup, self service. 

In the Living room there is waiter service and it looks like a Barista type machine. However for my taste the Library’s machine produced a better coffee. 

The snacks and pastries in the Living room are pretty minimal choice and small. 

The Library has cookies and mini muffins, nothing savoury. 

One area that Azamara wins hands down. 

However, the MDR is open daily, port or sea day, albeit the same basic menu as the buffet.  

Monday Evening. 

We got all gussied up for the Captain’s Cocktail Party which was at 6.15 in the Britannia Lounge. It was very crowded, standing room only unless you were there by 6.30. He made a speech at 6.45 which unfortunately was inaccurate and a little racist IMHO. When we dropped off the pilot earlier we saw the Aida Sol which carries 2,800 passengers maximum. He said he was glad not to be going into Geiranger with her and 5,000 Germans. In fact she was headed to Ålesund anyway. I’m afraid that sort of nationalistic remark appears to be pandering to many of the regular passengers. 

There were many styles of clothes on the ladies and I guess about 75-80% of men in dinner suits or tuxedos with the remainder in dark lounge suits, as was DH. 

With our friends we nipped out and headed for the MDR around 7.00. As we got out of the lift, a ‘Maitre D’ asked if we would like to eat at The Club instead, which we did. 😀. As it was our second visit we chose differently and both had the lamb, which was a little disappointing. However we had fun and finished off the night at the second of the concerts by the Ayoub Sisters. What wonderful musicians they are and all hail Saga for booking them for their first cruise experience. 

Tuesday 10th. 

Today we docked in Stavanger slightly late due to a German navel vessel using the passage in, according to the Captain, whose voice was beamed loudly everywhere again at 8.15. 

After breakfast in the Grill, which was not quite so crowded early on, we disembarked and walked to the station. We have visited Stavanger before and we’re keen to see more of the countryside. The local train to Egersund took just over an hour and cost under £9.00 pp, round trip. It is a commuter line which runs hourly. Some alongside the Fjord and some nearer the sea. The old town is very pretty with wooden buildings and lots of character. 

For some reason I’ve lost the ability to put photos on here just now so I may stick to just script, perhaps till we get home on Thursday. 

Good to know that you can at least order room service during the day if you miss the short lunch time.  That menu looks rather good for room service although we would far prefer the buffet selection they have on the American ships such as Princess and Celebrity.  Presume room service menu is included in price.  

Thank you for the updates, so interesting and informative.

Edited by shoreham01

2 minutes ago, shoreham01 said:

Good to know that you can at least order room service during the day if you miss the short lunch time.  That menu looks rather good for room service although we would far prefer the buffet selection they have on the American ships such as Princess and Celebrity.  Presume room service menu is included in price.  

Thank you for the updates, so interesting and informative.

Yes 24 hour room service included.

Hmmm. Bit concerned about the Captain’s inappropriate comments I must say. Also I don’t like the thought of being woken by cabin announcements if I want a lie in! Can you switch them off? 

Otherwise it’s looking good on SOD! 

Beautiful photographs Corinne. 

6 hours ago, cinnamon said:

Monday Evening. 

We got all gussied up for the Captain’s Cocktail Party which was at 6.15 in the Britannia Lounge. It was very crowded, standing room only unless you were there by 6.30. He made a speech at 6.45 which unfortunately was inaccurate and a little racist IMHO. When we dropped off the pilot earlier we saw the Aida Sol which carries 2,800 passengers maximum. He said he was glad not to be going into Geiranger with her and 5,000 Germans. In fact she was headed to Ålesund anyway. I’m afraid that sort of nationalistic remark appears to be pandering to many of the regular passengers. 

There were many styles of clothes on the ladies and I guess about 75-80% of men in dinner suits or tuxedos with the remainder in dark lounge suits, as was DH. 

I didn't attend party but the lady I sat with at dinner did, told me about the inappropriate remark and said she planned to write to the Captain to point out the error of his ways. 

As you say, many of the regular passengers probably thought the remark perfectly acceptable. Diversity does not appear to feature in the Saga vocabulary. Caucasian passengers and officers, Filipino crew, apparently no representatives from the rest of the world which I somehow find unsettling.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lottie A said:

Hmmm. Bit concerned about the Captain’s inappropriate comments I must say. Also I don’t like the thought of being woken by cabin announcements if I want a lie in! Can you switch them off? 

Otherwise it’s looking good on SOD! 

Beautiful photographs Corinne. 

No Lottie, you can’t turn them off!  

I’m afraid that after our experience with wonderful Azamara captains, especially Carl, we’ve been very disappointed with Nick Sutherland. Tonight’s ‘jokes’ at the newbies’ party were the same as he told last night. 😟. He just doesn’t have the presence and demeanour we’ve come to expect. 

• Like 1

Cinnamon thank you for your wonderful blog. Could you have a quick look and see if there is a gluten free section in any of the breakfast venues. Most cruise lines have gluten free bread etc if you ask but the better lines have the gluten free selection on display. My husband has Coeliac Disease therefore he has no choice but to eat gluten free. Also are there many mobility scooters on board? Thank you in advance and safe trip home.

3 hours ago, jland said:

Cinnamon thank you for your wonderful blog. Could you have a quick look and see if there is a gluten free section in any of the breakfast venues. Most cruise lines have gluten free bread etc if you ask but the better lines have the gluten free selection on display. My husband has Coeliac Disease therefore he has no choice but to eat gluten free. Also are there many mobility scooters on board? Thank you in advance and safe trip home.

I was chatting yesterday’ to a lady with Coeliac disease. She was reasonably happy with  the provision of Gluten free foods. I have seen some that are labelled as such in the buffet but she said one or two members of staff didn’t understand her question when ordering in the dining room and had to refer her to a more senior colleague. She said it was better than Celebrity and Princess but not as good as MSC 

i have seen only two electric mobility scooters. Quite a lot of pushable ‘walkers’, no hand powered wheelchairs and many people with one or two sticks. Actually there were more electric wheelchairs on a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Southampton a few years ago.