China visa

CaseyJo

21 minutes ago, Roatanfans said:

We did the Grand Asia cruise on Sapphire Princess this last Christmas- our stops were Singapore (embark), Ko Samui, Thailand. Laem Chabang (Bangkok), Thailand. Ho Chi Min City, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Keelung (Taipei,) Taiwan, Busan, South Korea, Nagasaki, Japan and Shanghai, China.  We stayed for an additional 4 nights in Shanghai.  The only Visa we needed was for Vietnam.  As US passport holders we took advantage of the 144 hour rule and did not get a Chinese passport.  We did not have any problems at all- it was an amazing cruise!

I  will be doing the Grand Asia cruise next year.  Did you need to get your own Vietnam visa or Princess did a landing visa for all passengers for a fee?  Thank you. 

11 hours ago, casofilia said:

I will post what we found when boarding the NCL Jewel in Yokohama and also when on board.

We were boarding in Yokohama for a cruise from Yokohama to Shanghai via Hong Kong and Xiamen.  ...

The shoreside person went “backstage” and came out with a very large Chinese Immigration official who had her hand on the gun on her hip!!  The Americans started to bluster but the Chinese cut them very short very quickly, “You want to visit China then you have to agree to our requirements.”   ....

====================================

As we approached Hong Kong there was quite a lot of luggage in the corridors.

Casofilia, I know this isn't your post as you are quoting another one but ...

Last I knew, Yokohama was in Japan, a separate country from China. Japan is very firearm phobic. I find it hard to believe the Japanese government would allow a "Chinese immigration official" to operate on their soil (Yokohama) with their own firearm. When I read posts like this where the original author has clearly embellished the story, it makes me doubt the rest.

2 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

I  will be doing the Grand Asia cruise next year.  Did you need to get your own Vietnam visa or Princess did a landing visa for all passengers for a fee?  Thank you. 

We did the Visa through Princess- there is so much conflicting information on what exactly is needed for Vietnam (as well as the price) plus it sounds like it changes constantly.  I thought it was worth the peace of mind to let Princess handle it, even if it cost more money!

2 hours ago, casofilia said:

@Roatanfans

No Chinese problems as you only visited one Chinese port.   

Nice to read that you were able to go to South Korea as well as China; that must have eased.

We really enjoyed Busan- had probably the best crab meal of our life at the wetmarket, just took the free shuttle and walked around- it is a great place to try lots of new foods!

On 9/11/2019 at 10:36 AM, Aus Traveller said:

The same rule will apply whether you go ashore or stay on the ship, but China has introduced a visa-free system for tourists who arrive in one of the designated ports (Shanghai is one) and stay less than 144 hours. Check this out on the internet, but you do not have to apply for anything or pay any fee.

I mention that Princess was very slow in getting 'onboard' with this visa-free rule and was insisting that passengers have an expensive visa, even when it wasn't required. I suggest you print out the information from the Chinese government in case Princess claims you need a visa.

Thanks for your advice Aus T and I had this confirmed by my TA today. We are sailing from Singapore to Shanghai and staying in Shanghai after the cruise for 4 days. He seemed well clued up about Chinese visa requirements but, of course, if he is wrong he can't do anything once we arrive in Shanghai.

However if you follow links on the Aust Govt Smart Traveller website the link to the Chinese Embassy and the section about visas has nothing about the 144 hour rule from what I could find. Also one of your posts with a link about this - the page does not open.

21 hours ago, Roatanfans said:

We did the Visa through Princess- there is so much conflicting information on what exactly is needed for Vietnam (as well as the price) plus it sounds like it changes constantly.  I thought it was worth the peace of mind to let Princess handle it, even if it cost more money!

So I need to call Princess now to let them know I will have them do my Vietnam visa, and ask them to add the charges to my booking?  Then pay it at final payment time?

6 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

So I need to call Princess now to let them know I will have them do my Vietnam visa, and ask them to add the charges to my booking?  Then pay it at final payment time?

We have visited Vietnam a few times on Princess cruises. We didn't do anything about a visa. Princess handled it on board and put the charge onto our on-board account. I think it would be more trouble for Princess if people have their own visa - sorting out who has a visa and who hasn't. It is simpler for Princess if they do all the visas and put the charge onto all the accounts.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have visited Vietnam a few times on Princess cruises. We didn't do anything about a visa. Princess handled it on board and put the charge onto our on-board account. I think it would be more trouble for Princess if people have their own visa - sorting out who has a visa and who hasn't. It is simpler for Princess if they do all the visas and put the charge onto all the accounts.

Difference is Vietnam visa is in the $40 range or lower for a singe set of visits while the China Visa is over $150 if you go to the consulate yourself as we did as it was only 60 miles from our home. Others on our cruise paid over $100 in handling fees to have another party carry the apps in for them. Luckily we got a 10 year visa. Others only got a short term one for the same amount.

On 9/10/2019 at 11:27 PM, casofilia said:

Personally I would rather go to the expense of getting the correct visa through the Chinese Embassy/Consulate rather than being faced with what we saw in Yokohama.

Seriously this!! China is an expensive cruise. Why spend all $€£¥ that to risk Visa info from a 3rd party online site (sorry Cruise Critic)? 

10 hours ago, Ombud said:

Seriously this!! China is an expensive cruise. Why spend all $€£¥ that to risk Visa info from a 3rd party online site (sorry Cruise Critic)? 

Several people who have posted here know what the Chinese government rules are on visas, but we do not know what Princess will require. 😒 This is where we have seen problems in the past - Princess insisting people pay for an emergency visa when one was not required by the Chinese authorities.

I agree with your comment that it is safer to get a visa if Princess have that in their pre-cruise information.

On 9/10/2019 at 11:27 PM, casofilia said:

Personally I would rather go to the expense of getting the correct visa through the Chinese Embassy/Consulate rather than being faced with what we saw in Yokohama.

======================

I agree.  The China Visa is only $140 for American and $90 for non-American.  It is good for 10 years; multiple entries.  If your passport expired before your visa expires, you don't need to get a new visa.  Just bring along the old passport that has the unexpired visa.     

@chubbypiggy

$90 for non-American   It is good for 10 years; multiple entries.  

Be careful as the ones we had to get in New Zealand were a LOT more expansive than that and a 10 year one was not avaialble

1) New Zealand passport holder (per person) TYPE OF ENTRY VISA FEE   (In NZD)

Single Entry $140

Double Entry $210

6 Months Multi-Entry $280

12 Months Multi-Entry $420

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2019 at 12:57 PM, Roatanfans said:

We did the Grand Asia cruise on Sapphire Princess this last Christmas- our stops were Singapore (embark), Ko Samui, Thailand. Laem Chabang (Bangkok), Thailand. Ho Chi Min City, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Keelung (Taipei,) Taiwan, Busan, South Korea, Nagasaki, Japan and Shanghai, China.  We stayed for an additional 4 nights in Shanghai.  The only Visa we needed was for Vietnam.  As US passport holders we took advantage of the 144 hour rule and did not get a Chinese passport.  We did not have any problems at all- it was an amazing cruise!

We are doing basically the same cruise, or close, in April 2020 and are going to do the 144 hour visa, also.  Can you tell me if you did anything, paperwork wise, prior to leaving the US or did you do everything at the pier after docking in Shanghai.  I have found a website by the Chinese government that appears you can fill out some paperwork prior to leaving from the US.  I haven't gone through the process of doing it, and won't if it is somewhat painless to do what is needed at the Shanghai pier.  We will have our return to the US airline tickets, hotel reservations and passports, so that meets the requirements to get the 144 hour visa.  Just wondering if we need or should do anything prior to leaving here.

2 hours ago, restasured said:

We are doing basically the same cruise, or close, in April 2020 and are going to do the 144 hour visa, also.  Can you tell me if you did anything, paperwork wise, prior to leaving the US or did you do everything at the pier after docking in Shanghai.  I have found a website by the Chinese government that appears you can fill out some paperwork prior to leaving from the US.  I haven't gone through the process of doing it, and won't if it is somewhat painless to do what is needed at the Shanghai pier.  We will have our return to the US airline tickets, hotel reservations and passports, so that meets the requirements to get the 144 hour visa.  Just wondering if we need or should do anything prior to leaving here.

We did not do any paperwork ahead of time for this- Just on disembarkation and it wasn't really much at all!