Port Botany cruise terminal

Chiliburn

30 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Royal Caribbean  wasn't the only name mentioned so will Rod now "ban" his wife from cruising with Norwegian, or Carnival or any of those represented by Cruise Lines International or Australian Cruise Association?

About time for a cuppa tea, a Bex, and a good lie down.

And I bet it wasn’t Royal Caribbean Cruise Line or Carnival Cruises either, but the parent companies so I’m at a loss to see who Mrs Rod will be allowed to cruise with from here on in

you can call me nimbysts or anything ya like even say what ya like doesn't bother me ..

my wife backs me 100% if it involves not cruising again so be it ..    can always fly to different parts of the world and use different cruise lines other than royal carribean 

sure many cruise line companies were consulted but they have always stated there interest are at Sydney harbor , not botany .. royal carribean want botany for there oasis class fleet ..  they even mention on the report that was paid for and most of the real info redacted that you would get of the ship and be transported to another place nearby for a custom's check imagine that 5000, passengers getting on to buses and driven to another place .. im sure most would love that idea..  

again as mentioned that seem;s to go over peoples head.. its not a national security project at port botany so what have they to hide by redacting all the info.. 

cant believe how people love to cruise and see such amazing places but yet don't give a rats about preserving there own country..  you see time and time government selling our country out , farms , airports, water, electricity,  ..  now you tell me isn't it about time we stand up for our country and try save what natural places we have left..  what are we leaving for our kids ..  by the  way merry Christmas to all and happy new yr  ..when ya sit and have a feed with the family take a look around at the kids and just maybe ya might start to come around and think we have to save this country for them..

im trying to work out how to paste the pdf its 68 pages 

it was a report that was requested by action groups and had to be paid for ..

by the way did anybody catch this news , there is serious risk of this and worse happening at botany as that is shocking for bad winds , bad under currents , and swell that can get as much as 2 mtr on a mess up day on average swell is about 1 mtr on a normal day.. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/world/massive-cruise-liners-collide-in-mexico/2019/12/20/976acc15-527a-4297-bae2-5d84748f8204_video.html

Edited by in rod we trust

Yes, the two ships collided. However, that did not cause any major environmental damage e.g. far less than all the fishing lines and other detritus that have been dropped into the water by fishermen.

Ships have docked successfully thousands of times in far worse conditions. I don't see anything that is a special concern about cruise ships specifically in Botany Bay.

As for the .pdf you would have to upload it an external site, e.g. dropbox and then post the link here. Not sure you can attach it here due to size limits (if scanned well as text it should be fine, but it may be scanned poorly with images and be very large).

On 12/21/2019 at 6:07 PM, in rod we trust said:

you can call me nimbysts or anything ya like even say what ya like doesn't bother me ..

my wife backs me 100% if it involves not cruising again so be it ..    can always fly to different parts of the world and use different cruise lines other than royal carribean 

sure many cruise line companies were consulted but they have always stated there interest are at Sydney harbor , not botany .. royal carribean want botany for there oasis class fleet ..  they even mention on the report that was paid for and most of the real info redacted that you would get of the ship and be transported to another place nearby for a custom's check imagine that 5000, passengers getting on to buses and driven to another place .. im sure most would love that idea..  

again as mentioned that seem;s to go over peoples head.. its not a national security project at port botany so what have they to hide by redacting all the info.. 

What a load of total dribble....transfer pax by coach  to another facility for Customs Durr....Do you really believe the Port Authority ( and in your eyes ( only) Royal Caribbean) spend millions of dollars on a new purpose built cruise terminal at Botany Bay and not have  the facility to process pax through Border Force. The ongoing cost and logistical barriers would never even be contemplated...especially by a a cruise line  who, you say, is here just to make money.  No wonder you believe all the rubbish you are spruiking about Botany Bay becoming a barren wasteland. You obviously know nothing about such things . Go and get hold of some real information and and try to process it in a even, fair and  rational manner.

1 hour ago, gbenjo said:

What a load of total dribble....transfer pax by coach  to another facility for Customs Durr....Do you really believe the Port Authority ( and in your eyes ( only) Royal Caribbean) spend millions of dollars on a new purpose built cruise terminal at Botany Bay and not have  the facility to process pax through Border Force. The ongoing cost and logistical barriers would never even be contemplated...especially by a a cruise line  who, you say, is here just to make money.  No wonder you believe all the rubbish you are spruiking about Botany Bay becoming a barren wasteland. You obviously know nothing about such things . Go and get hold of some real information and and try to process it in a even, fair and  rational manner.

Graham just got of voyager and for research purposes I went on the water slide and with my beer gut I got stuck in it. I thought they would have to rescue me but I wiggled my way out.

So after some research it may not be a viable option for the new cruise port but I’m still thinking.

7 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Yes, the two ships collided. However, that did not cause any major environmental damage e.g. far less than all the fishing lines and other detritus that have been dropped into the water by fishermen.

Ships have docked successfully thousands of times in far worse conditions. I don't see anything that is a special concern about cruise ships specifically in Botany Bay.

As for the .pdf you would have to upload it an external site, e.g. dropbox and then post the link here. Not sure you can attach it here due to size limits (if scanned well as text it should be fine, but it may be scanned poorly with images and be very large).

now that is a bit of a joke right???  

most anglers do the right thing we throw back undersize fish adhere to bag limits , and we pick up floating plastic bags from the ocean , take them back and dispose of them in the garbage tins...   you talk about crap anglers throw in .. well what about all the crap cruise ships dump as soon as they get in international waters , and how about there fuel bunker oil with all that sulfer spewing out,  I wouldn't go there if I was you ..  but im sure you know all about how much pollution cruise ships spew out and have been busted doing it,,   did you know many times ships at botany bay had to be put out to see from the violent winds and breaking there mooring ropes ,  and they are protected by a breakwall ,  not close to the heads ,  yarra  bay and mollineaux point is right at the mouth of the bay ..  

5 hours ago, gbenjo said:

what info do you have …... I go to all the meeting's port authority hold and also different action groups , to build a terminal that big to cope with the amount of passengers getting of will be huge , there isn't enough space for them to build it there .. there is a cemetery  right up against the beach and also protected grasslands , so there is no room , they know that and that's why it was stated in there report to ferry the passngers from the dock to a building nearby for customs check.. its in the port authority info session 

7 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

now that is a bit of a joke right???  

most anglers do the right thing we throw back undersize fish adhere to bag limits , and we pick up floating plastic bags from the ocean , take them back and dispose of them in the garbage tins...   you talk about crap anglers throw in .. well what about all the crap cruise ships dump as soon as they get in international waters , and how about there fuel bunker oil with all that sulfer spewing out,  I wouldn't go there if I was you ..  but im sure you know all about how much pollution cruise ships spew out and have been busted doing it,,   did you know many times ships at botany bay had to be put out to see from the violent winds and breaking there mooring ropes ,  and they are protected by a breakwall ,  not close to the heads ,  yarra  bay and mollineaux point is right at the mouth of the bay ..  

No more of a joke than your baseless accusations against the terminal.

I'm sure some fishermen do the right thing. But whether it's catching undersize or unapproved catch, exceeding quota, or just plain environmental damage and discarding of waste in the ocean, there's a lot that don't. On that basis, some would make sweeping generalisations that all such fishing is harmful and should not be permitted.

9 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

what info do you have …... I go to all the meeting's port authority hold and also different action groups , to build a terminal that big to cope with the amount of passengers getting of will be huge , there isn't enough space for them to build it there .. there is a cemetery  right up against the beach and also protected grasslands , so there is no room , they know that and that's why it was stated in there report to ferry the passngers from the dock to a building nearby for customs check.. its in the port authority info session 

Show us this report your quoting then. Of course your "action groups" will paint the blackest , and it would seem ill informed, picture  of the situation to suit their cause but they have not even selected a site yet so how can you even make an assumption like this. I have been involved in this industry for the past nine years so I do know a little bit about what is required. The ongoing cost to the cruise lines (note I said cruise lines not just one ) to move pax and luggage to an offsite facility for processing would be ridiculous. The terminal, when it is built, would HAVE  to be big enough to  receive  and process all the passengers, luggage and provisions to and from the ship, the area needed for border force and Ag dept is only small.  They would not just build a wharf.

Edited by gbenjo

10 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

Rod I did see that report and heard a session on the ABC and that was correct that they maybe going to process people off site.

But from what I understand it was only temporary,  for a interim thing if they use the container terminal.

Talking to the officers on voyager , They though Garden Island wouldn’t be suitable for the big ships such as oasis and the next generation icon class. 

I think port botany is going to happen.

On 12/23/2019 at 1:48 AM, in rod we trust said:

im trying to work out how to paste the pdf its 68 pages 

it was a report that was requested by action groups and had to be paid for ..

by the way did anybody catch this news , there is serious risk of this and worse happening at botany as that is shocking for bad winds , bad under currents , and swell that can get as much as 2 mtr on a mess up day on average swell is about 1 mtr on a normal day.. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/world/massive-cruise-liners-collide-in-mexico/2019/12/20/976acc15-527a-4297-bae2-5d84748f8204_video.html

It would appear from the footage  that one ship was possibly at  anchor, not tied up at a wharf , this would not be the case in Botany Bay so your claim is unfounded. Relevant arguements only please

On 12/21/2019 at 6:07 PM, in rod we trust said:

Have you thought about the environmental impacts of flying and the effect of the airport on Botany Bay?  

Just saying......

• Like 1

Hence the nimbyism. 

Cruises have a supposedly bad effect here, yet elsewhere it's not something he's worried about.

Same with all the industrial activity at Botany including the airport. Not an issue.. but the cruise terminal is. No logic or principle, just nimbyism.

35 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Just flew into Sydney and had a great aerial view of the area, didn't see anyone using the beach or the point for that matter. Perhaps they are all cruising at the moment.

Yeh , I think Rod and the family went on the voyager yesterday .