Port Botany cruise terminal

Chiliburn

3 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

isn't this topic about proposed cruise ship terminal at botany bay..  .. 

Rod, you will soon learn that here on this board, threads take all sorts of turns off topic. Some very interesting conversations come from going off topic. 😋

Leigh

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

The ABC did a fact check on Fire fighting funding, see: Doesn't Stack Up.

That seems more equivocal when you read it.

"Experts consulted by Fact Check said budget outcomes inevitably varied from the initial estimates, meaning it was too early to say if funding had been cut. Fact Check estimates that firefighting expenditure would need to grow by at least $39 million just to keep pace with inflation and population growth."

I don't know what to tell you.  The budget paper in the last link shows a negative variation from the previous year's budget.

The first link dates back to 2012 and fact check doesn't examine that budget cut.

Edited by plettza

11 hours ago, plettza said:

I'm not sure exactly where.  I know he doesn't use the Princes Highway but before he left to go down, he said he goes via Canberra, Cooma and through Bombala.  He mentioned his dams on the property are registered with the CFA for water use.

But my goodness, looking at that map, I'd say I won't see him on Monday.  He left to go down just after Christmas Day/Boxing Day something like that.

you can check google traffic and see just how many road closures there are all over the 2 states

32 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Thank you for posting this link that proves the claim of cuts to Fire fighting funding are incorrect.

The RFS Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons also stated in November that their funding had not been cut.

There are numerous videos of his press conference that day.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Fact Check estimates that firefighting expenditure would need to grow by at least $39 million just to keep pace with inflation and population growth."

That still sounds like a problem even if it isn't a budget cut 🤔

17 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Just another example of the misinformation being spread, when have the Greens been in power anywhere in Australia.

When they went into coalition with Labor a few years ago, it was then that the prevention laws regarding preventative burning were enacted giving us 7 years of fuel for the fires, not just the last year as claimed above. Any move to change the restrictions has always been voted down in the Senate, where the gov does not have an outright majority, by the greens and the left wing idiots that support them.

I think sometimes people and especially the politicians /media can get hung up on phraseology or terminology. I don't really care if the funding was cut, not cut, not increased, didn't grow in line with inflation or what. What I do care about is not having the services available prior to an even to help mitigate prevention strategies and also having them when actually needed in the emergency.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Rod, you will soon learn that here on this board, threads take all sorts of turns off topic. Some very interesting conversations come from going off topic. 😋

Leigh

im sorry but this thread should be about the topic at hand , it has been so far until all this crap about who to blame , please keep it on the topic of port botany proposed terminal..  isn't there any mods on here who can delete this or move it .. there is a topic on fires in Sydney use that if you must but please leave this topic  about the terminal... please mods remove the off topic discussion to fires in Sydney ...

1 minute ago, in rod we trust said:

im sorry but this thread should be about the topic at hand , it has been so far until all this crap about who to blame , please keep it on the topic of port botany proposed terminal..  isn't there any mods on here who can delete this or move it .. there is a topic on fires in Sydney use that if you must but please leave this topic  about the terminal... please mods remove the off topic discussion to fires in Sydney ...

the moderators or host does not read every post or even every thread. the best thing to do is report the particular post and state why it should be deleted and then they are alerted to it and can take action as they deem fit.

It is page 20 of this topic so everything everyone wanted to say about this topic has probably been said, so it is quite natural for it to wonder off topic. If you are unhappy with the turn I guess you could report the thread and request it to be shut down. 

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

When they went into coalition with Labor a few years ago

Labor have never been in coalition with the Greens. This is just more misinformation.

it was then that the prevention laws regarding preventative burning were enacted giving us 7 years of fuel for the fires

What laws regarding preventative burning?

Any move to change the restrictions has always been voted down in the Senate, where the gov does not have an outright majority, by the greens and the left wing idiots that support them.

Another lie. The balance of power in the Senate is held by One Nation and Jaquie Lambie. Who may be idiots but are not left wing.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

It is page 20 of this topic so everything everyone wanted to say about this topic has probably been said, so it is quite natural for it to wonder off topic. If you are unhappy with the turn I guess you could report the thread and request it to be shut down. 

sorry but there is a lot more to be said about this topic and its on going as the port botany terminal is a proposal there are impact statements  .. have a bit of respect to the topic's on forums   I may be new to cruise critic but have been on the side line of this forum for many yrs ..  if I can respect topics on here so should others ..

4 hours ago, By The Bay said:

I don't think anyone will ever be able to prove anything based on estimates Vs actuals.  These events alone will definately blow the budget significantly and the extent could not possibly have been forecast.

2 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

again yarra bay in all its beauty and the thousands of people who use it and love it ..

no cruise terminal in yarra bay or mollineaux point ..  

image.png.73e6651ae499f43299b054776395a5ca.png

This view is good in showing the direct route the swells from the seas could be an issue. Would a break-wall be needed?

42 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

This view is good in showing the direct route the swells from the seas could be an issue. Would a break-wall be needed?

This was a problem that Capt Arthur Phillip identified when the First Fleet arrived in 1788. He was supposed to establish the settlement on the shores of Botany Bay, but he decided it wasn't suitable - lack of fresh water, poor soils and a shallow bay that was exposed to bad weather.

• Like 1

Very easy for ships to navigate.

come in the heads and hang a right.

Its good of rod to show that.

25 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

This was a problem that Capt Arthur Phillip identified when the First Fleet arrived in 1788. He was supposed to establish the settlement on the shores of Botany Bay, but he decided it wasn't suitable - lack of fresh water, poor soils and a shallow bay that was exposed to bad weather.

Not to mention toxic sludge.😋