Explorer Tokyo - Vancouver 2021 Missing

mrlevin

Agreed.  Look at the per diem rate and rebate the cruise by that amount.  Since we all booked over a year in advance, I would think that these are the most loyal Regent passengers.   OBC or future cruise credit would be the way to go, IMO.  

I figured out our per diem rate and the $500 shipboard credit doesn't cover it. This shipboard credit certainly wouldn't cover those who are booked in categories above me. Shipboard credit doesn't cost Regent anything. I feel using it towards overpriced Spa services or overpriced items to buy onboard is a total waste. I would like to have the $$$ credited back to my credit card.

I don't like to have credits to use in the future...same as a store credit. You forget about it and then it goes unused or it

expires. 

I don't understand how Regent has the nerve to offer a $500 shipboard credit to someone who is booked in a Master Suite and is paying $28,299 per person. What a joke!!!!!  I hope I'm not the only one concerned. Wait until people find out about this.

I only know about this since I read it on CC. I've not received any notification regarding the change.

I was on a Crystal river cruise last year and due to the water levels in the Rhine River our 14 night itinerary changed

three times. Crystal REFUNDED everyone 20% of what they paid for the cruise back to your CREDIT CARD. We then were offered a 20% discount on a future ocean or river cruise due to being hit by a barge and thus another change in the itinerary.

So...Regent needs to do the right thing.

The easiest “right thing” would be to take everyone’s per diem cost and refund them them the one-night rate.  Or give them the choice of the refund or a slightly higher FCC.  Seems to me like a $250 shipboard credit is a bit stingy for losing a night, especially in the higher level cabins...

Just my opinion, of course.

46 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

The easiest “right thing” would be to take everyone’s per diem cost and refund them them the one-night rate.  Or give them the choice of the refund or a slightly higher FCC.  Seems to me like a $250 shipboard credit is a bit stingy for losing a night, especially in the higher level cabins...

Just my opinion, of course.

You are correct, but unfortunately someone in the Regent management hierarchy has made a decision purely based on financial rather than ethical or equitable principles (maybe the same person who has been authorising dubious up-sells)

The cruise is extremely popular (already waitlisted in all categories apart from the Regent suite). Therefore the thinking is probably that very few guests will cancel and for those that do there are plenty on the waitlist willing to take their place.

For the sake of good customer relations it is to be hoped that Regent will reconsider their offer to early bookers.

Edited by flossie009

14 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you Jason!  And, for CC posters, this is a really good reason why you should book your air through Regent.  If you had booked this on your own and had to change the date, there would likely be quite a penalty!

Is it possible to even have booked air reservations this far out from the cruise date? 

I think anyone who is booked on this cruise or who may be waitlisted will eventually find out that they are

paying for a night that was canceled due to an itinerary change. I think once people have made final payment they should be given the difference based on what their cruise cost was. Regent has an accounting office!!!

Well, we are on the Grand Voyage and have not been notified yet, but our cruise is back in our booked cruises list.

I must say I find the compensation to be totally inadequate, $250 shipboard credit for a day we paid approximately $1,000 for. They should provide a full refund, in cash. The argument about “protecting the price” because it now is more than the original price is totally spurious, because it is Regent who made the change, not us, so we would never be subject to this 

price increase.

Nothing yet from Regent.   Who qualifies for the one night in Vancouver?  Is that only for those on the Grand Voyage?   Seems like that would be a good solution for everyone already booked on whatever leg - $250 pp plus one night in Vancouver.  Although, I still think $250 pp is inadequate. 

Someone at Regent tried a one-size-fits-all solution that doesn’t work here because one cruise added a day and one cruise subtracted a day. It’s a good deal for those on the Alaska cruise since they get an extra day at no charge plus the shipboard credit.  It’s a bad deal for those on the Tokyo to Vancouver cruise because they are getting one less day for the same price they paid originally. For example someone who booked at the first opportunity in a category E suite would have paid $11,499 after subtracting the air credit.  That’s a per diem of approximately $600 for the 19 night cruise.  So, in effect, that passenger would be buying $250 shipboard credit for about $600. Hardly a good deal. As Bill said the fairest solution is to refund $600 to this passenger in addition to the $250 shipboard credit. 

I believe the refund would be covered by section 4F of the ticket contract. 

Dave

Edited by DaveFr
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BBWC said:

Yes, you are the lucky ones getting the additional night for free, so no OBC would be due. This situation is also covered by Section 4F.

There are still many openings on the Alaska cruise so they may adjust price upward for new bookings to reflect longer cruise. 

1 minute ago, rcandkc said:

There are still many openings on the Alaska cruise so they may adjust price upward for new bookings to reflect longer cruise. 

That’s odd..a few days ago there were many openings...just checked and now says waitlist. 

Passengers booked on the Tokyo to Vancouver cruise have a choice of either a FREE 2- OR 3-night Land Program. 

Pre-cruise: Sunrise Over Tokyo Program

or Post-Cruise: Very Vancouver

Passengers booked on the following Alaska cruise in Concierge or higher would have a FREE- one night hotel stay

in Vancouver.

I'm on the Tokyo to Vancouver cruise and don't plan to use either Land Program. I would rather take the credit from

Regent and make my own arrangements. I've done this before. 

43 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

That’s odd..a few days ago there were many openings...just checked and now says waitlist. 

I think they sold a block of cabins to the “Parents With Colicky Babies” support group and “Luxury Cruises For Troubled Teen Offenders” rehab group.  And a couple of heavy metal drummers.  And a troupe of morbidly obese Irish step dancers. 

I wouldn’t be too concerned.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

Passengers booked on the Tokyo to Vancouver cruise have a choice of either a FREE 2- OR 3-night Land Program. 

Pre-cruise: Sunrise Over Tokyo Program

or Post-Cruise: Very Vancouver

Passengers booked on the following Alaska cruise in Concierge or higher would have a FREE- one night hotel stay

in Vancouver.

I'm on the Tokyo to Vancouver cruise and don't plan to use either Land Program. I would rather take the credit from

Regent and make my own arrangements. I've done this before. 

What credit do you get if you opt out of the pre cruise?

Let's see...The Tokyo to Vancouver trip is shortened by a day and Regent low-balls the compensation.  The following cruise gets an extra night without an additional cost.  Seems that Regent wants the Tokyo to Vancouver pax to subsidize the pax on the following cruise.

I don't think Regent should up the price for the second cruise...the bonus is not their fault. But Regent should fairly compensate the first cruise and not expect those pax to pay for the other cruise's extra day. 

Regent is avoiding financial responsibility for their own screw-up.

Edited by 1985rz1

Good job, Regent.  Way to alienate your loyal clients.   There are other luxury cruise lines and tour providers, you know. I was just on a luxury land-based tour and singing Regent’s praises to my fellow travelers.  What are the chances I’ll do that again?   For many of us, customer service is important when making our purchasing decisions and travel recommendations.   

forgap:   I didn't use the Post 3-night Tokyo Land Program last spring and received

a $750 per person credit. Im not a fan the hotels uses and  I used the money towards 2 nights at

a really great hotel in Tokyo. I booked the hotel through AmericanExpress Platinum and got an

incredible upgrade, etc. Hired a private guide for two days while in Tokyo. Perfect!!

32 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

forgap:   I didn't use the Post 3-night Tokyo Land Program last spring and received

a $750 per person credit. Im not a fan the hotels uses and  I used the money towards 2 nights at

a really great hotel in Tokyo. I booked the hotel through AmericanExpress Platinum and got an

incredible upgrade, etc. Hired a private guide for two days while in Tokyo. Perfect!!

Thank you, Mrstanley.  I’ll contact my TA.  I lived in Japan for 4 years as a teen (‘65-69) so I’m motivated to show my husband around.  We intend to do a land program to Kyoto, Nara, and Hakone.  I laughed at the upcharge for the precruise tour of Hakone.  Much more cost effective and interesting to go on your own.  For the first time feeling like Regent is trying to take advantage of us.  Perhaps it’s time to jump ship!