NCL Breakaway or Celebrity Equinox?

ashleyriley

Looking for opinions from those who have sailed on the Equinox and Breakaway or similar classes of ships on Celebrity and NCL. We had pretty much decided on an Eastern itinerary on the Breakaway in the Haven due to a great experience on the Jade. Recently, I have been reading reports of the Breakaway that were not so favorable,  citing extreme overcrowding, and less than stellar service and food quality. Since the Equinox went through a dry dock and has a similar concept to the Haven with it's Retreat I am also considering that ship, same Eastern itinerary. Thanks in advance for any feedback! 

I have been on sister ships (and on BA, but that was long enough back that I cannot comment on your more recent unfavorable reports).  I cruised GA in Haven.  I have not experienced the Retreat, so I cannot compare those Haven to Retreat head to head.

outside the Haven/Retreat, the ships (and cruiselines) have totally different feel.  NCL is more causal, less structured, the activities and ship seem to be designed to appeal on average to a bit younger more active crowd, average dress on ship is downscale by comparison (of course you dress as you please).  Celebrity tends to appeal to a slightly older, more refined cruiser, menus in MDR are fancier, overall dress around ship is nicer, especially in evening, more low key activities in my experience. Also more refine service in my experience. The lines are apples and oranges...both are delicious fruits, but the tend to attract different people...or sometimes a person can fit in well either place.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’re on the Breakaway in the Haven in December. I haven’t cruised the Equinox, but am intrigued with the idea of the Retreat. We cruised Celebrity multiple times, years ago, and loved it. The only thing that holds us back from choosing it over NCL is that it doesn’t cruise out of Port Canaveral, which is only 2.5 hrs from us.

• Thanks 1

Have been on both ships in the suite class. I absolutely love the Breakaway Haven and the Equinox can’t really compare. Breakaway has a lovely climate controlled pool and lounging area in the courtyard as well as a private sun deck with plenty of shade options. Service in the Haven is impeccable but not better than Celebrity. In that dept. I’d say it’s a tie. Food being subjective makes it difficult to comment on with regard to taste but I will say that we enjoyed the breakfast options in the Haven as well as some of the dinner menu items. The Haven restaurant has a fixed menu that doesn’t change unlike Luminae, which changes. You can also get MDR items in Luminae. 

We think the Celebrity drink package is better as it includes water and smoothies (for now). 

The bar/lounge area in the Haven is very nice while the bar itself is on the small side. 

The thermal suite on Breakaway is absolutely amazing!  I really liked the Persian Garden on Celebrity until I was introduced to NCLs take on this area. 

Celebrity has the solarium which I like a lot and NCL doesn’t have this. But being in the Haven, I didn’t miss it. In my opinion, the ship within a ship concept that Celebrity is trying to incorporate in their S class ships will never really live up to the Haven product. 

That said, we are booked on Silhouette in a Royal Suite. We chose this ship because it has not yet been revolutionized. We like the suite life on Celebrity as is and pretty soon that will be gone. 

If you want a true ship within a ship exclusive suite experience then I would recommend Breakaway over any of the S class ships. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aren't the higher end suites (Royal Suite and above) on the S-class ships significantly more expensive than the Haven? I guess if you're comparing an RS and up to an H2/H3 they would be comparable in price. But a RS on S-class I feel like is almost twice the price of an H6...

Hello, I went on the Celebrity Equinox last Thanksgiving.  This was prior to the dry dock.  I am going on the NCL Getaway this Thanksgiving 2019. I am in the Haven.  I hated the Equinox.  I stayed in a Celebrity Suite.  We had a butler and the Suites Restaurant.  I found the staff less then adequate. This includes the Suites Restaurant.  The Bar staff at the pool were completely rude to my wife. It seemed the only way to get anything done was to tip upfront. 

If I sound bitter, I am.  The Equinox was to be the ultimate vacation.  I just came off sever medical procedures.  The bad experiences started on day one when they told me I did not have the drink package.  I did and 2 hours later it was fixed.  They told me I did not have the pre-cruise spa package.  I did. It took two phone calls on the ship to the Canyon Spa to fix this one.

Lots of folk will give you input, I just wanted you to know my experience. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, tomservo said:

Aren't the higher end suites (Royal Suite and above) on the S-class ships significantly more expensive than the Haven? I guess if you're comparing an RS and up to an H2/H3 they would be comparable in price. But a RS on S-class I feel like is almost twice the price of an H6...

A Royal suite is pricey for sure. But we are on a 9 night ABC itinerary that NCL doesn’t offer. Had they offered it, we would have likely booked a Haven aft penthouse which I feel is most closely matched to the S class Royal suite in terms of size and suite amenities for a little bit less money. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

5 hours ago, tomservo said:

I was looking at an H6 on Breakaway and the Celebrity Suite on Equinox. They are about the same price. Royal Suite wasn't available for me to price on the sailing I was looking at.

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Hello, I went on the Celebrity Equinox last Thanksgiving.  This was prior to the dry dock.  I am going on the NCL Getaway this Thanksgiving 2019. I am in the Haven.  I hated the Equinox.  I stayed in a Celebrity Suite.  We had a butler and the Suites Restaurant.  I found the staff less then adequate. This includes the Suites Restaurant.  The Bar staff at the pool were completely rude to my wife. It seemed the only way to get anything done was to tip upfront. 

If I sound bitter, I am.  The Equinox was to be the ultimate vacation.  I just came off sever medical procedures.  The bad experiences started on day one when they told me I did not have the drink package.  I did and 2 hours later it was fixed.  They told me I did not have the pre-cruise spa package.  I did. It took two phone calls on the ship to the Canyon Spa to fix this one.

Lots of folk will give you input, I just wanted you to know my experience. 

Thanks for your insight. I hope you have a great cruise on the Getaway!

7 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Have been on both ships in the suite class. I absolutely love the Breakaway Haven and the Equinox can’t really compare. Breakaway has a lovely climate controlled pool and lounging area in the courtyard as well as a private sun deck with plenty of shade options. Service in the Haven is impeccable but not better than Celebrity. In that dept. I’d say it’s a tie. Food being subjective makes it difficult to comment on with regard to taste but I will say that we enjoyed the breakfast options in the Haven as well as some of the dinner menu items. The Haven restaurant has a fixed menu that doesn’t change unlike Luminae, which changes. You can also get MDR items in Luminae. 

We think the Celebrity drink package is better as it includes water and smoothies (for now). 

The bar/lounge area in the Haven is very nice while the bar itself is on the small side. 

The thermal suite on Breakaway is absolutely amazing!  I really liked the Persian Garden on Celebrity until I was introduced to NCLs take on this area. 

Celebrity has the solarium which I like a lot and NCL doesn’t have this. But being in the Haven, I didn’t miss it. In my opinion, the ship within a ship concept that Celebrity is trying to incorporate in their S class ships will never really live up to the Haven product. 

That said, we are booked on Silhouette in a Royal Suite. We chose this ship because it has not yet been revolutionized. We like the suite life on Celebrity as is and pretty soon that will be gone. 

If you want a true ship within a ship exclusive suite experience then I would recommend Breakaway over any of the S class ships. 

Thanks! What are your thoughts on overcrowding? Any issue with that in the Haven area? I think the entertainment on Breakaway is something we would enjoy. How did you like the Equinox entertainment? The Equinox buffet layout and food looked nice from the ship tours I have watched on YouTube.  As with every cruise line, there's pros and cons with them all. 😀 

Hands down, Breakaway beats Equinox when it comes to entertainment.  Just so much to do in the evening from comedy shows, theater productions, dueling piano bar, etc.  Haven area was never crowded...has quite a nice vibe.  We didn't go to the buffet all that much on either ship.  Don't get me wront, breakaway has lots of people but you will never feel it in the Haven.

• Thanks 1

I’ll qualify this by saying I’ve only sailed Celebrity once.  And, it was on the Solstice.  That said, my understanding is the Equinox and Solstice are similar.

Entertainment is a big difference between NCL and Celebrity.  The “highlight” of Celebrity entertainment was a glass blowing area, where you could watch people make glass art.  There was also a “grassy” area near the glass blowing where you could lounge or play bocce ball, etc.

NCL has Broadway caliber entertainment....especially on the Breakaway, which I’ve sailed before (and will sail again next week).  

Not sure about anyone else, but if you consider glass blowing and a grassy area as a highlight of the entertainment, don’t sail NCL.  Me personally, I kept telling myself that the sort of entertainment Celebrity offers is what their customer wants.  I’m certainly not one of them.

Everything else?  Food, drinks, service, etc?  I can’t say that any of it stood out to me in any way.  I don’t remember it being particularly bad, but I don’t recall it to be particularly good, either.  It was sort of middle of the road.

The Solstice was beautiful, though.  I’m wagering the Equinox is, too.

Considering the price premium Celebrity charges, and the focus of being a premium cruise line, neither of those things are what I would judge as being successful.

I think that’s why it was “one and done” for me with Celebrity.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I’ll qualify this by saying I’ve only sailed Celebrity once.  And, it was on the Solstice.  That said, my understanding is the Equinox and Solstice are similar.

Entertainment is a big difference between NCL and Celebrity.  The “highlight” of Celebrity entertainment was a glass blowing area, where you could watch people make glass art.  There was also a “grassy” area near the glass blowing where you could lounge or play bocce ball, etc.

NCL has Broadway caliber entertainment....especially on the Breakaway, which I’ve sailed before (and will sail again next week).  

Not sure about anyone else, but if you consider glass blowing and a grassy area as a highlight of the entertainment, don’t sail NCL.  Me personally, I kept telling myself that the sort of entertainment Celebrity offers is what their customer wants.  I’m certainly not one of them.

Everything else?  Food, drinks, service, etc?  I can’t say that any of it stood out to me in any way.  I don’t remember it being particularly bad, but I don’t recall it to be particularly good, either.  It was sort of middle of the road.

The Solstice was beautiful, though.  I’m wagering the Equinox is, too.

Considering the price premium Celebrity charges, and the focus of being a premium cruise line, neither of those things are what I would judge as being successful.

I think that’s why it was “one and done” for me with Celebrity.

Hi, thanks. I think you just gave me some clarity. Glass blowing, while interesting, is not really something I value as entertainment. And if most are saying the food and service are equal on both lines then I think I would choose Breakaway. Also, the H6 seems like one of the best suites on any line with the 2 bathrooms and huge balcony. 

• Like 1

Something to note about the Breakaway I read on another thread: The show SIX is coming November 10, 2019. It was not stated in the article if it would replace Rock of Ages but I would think so? What does everyone think of this? I was looking forward to ROA as we are fans of that genre of music. 

25 minutes ago, ashleyriley said:

Something to note about the Breakaway I read on another thread: The show SIX is coming November 10, 2019. It was not stated in the article if it would replace Rock of Ages but I would think so? What does everyone think of this? I was looking forward to ROA as we are fans of that genre of music. 

Lots may be a bit disappointed but ships have to change production shows every so often. 

I can't confirm but I can tell you that while I really enjoy most production shows, I hated ROA to the point of leaving in the middle.  It was that bad (for me).  Others love it and that's fine. To each their own.  I typically really like that music genre but did not care for this show's interpretation of the music at all.  IMO a replacement of ROA would be a much needed improvement.  

And if you're considering the H6, I don't think you will be disappointed.  We've stayed in the H5 as well.  I liked the H5 for the location but gladly gave that up when we got the opportunity to get the H6.  We were on deck 9 which put us close to all the entertainment...not so close to the Haven.  Deepest balcony of them all, I believe.

• Like 1

Thanks Georgia_Peaches for all you input! I booked a few hours ago! Now on to researching Tortola. We have done St Thomas a few times, but not any of the BVI. And GSC is new to us as well. Thinking about renting a cabana. If you have any tips on the ports, or what your favorite specialty dining restaurants are, feel free to share! Thanks again!😀

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

ive read thru this thread and interested in more ncl vs celebrity experiences (summit if possible). i have been on bliss and BA in haven and balcony rooms and thinking about a balcony for 10 days to bermuda with summit this june. 3 sea days. i understand the entertainment difference as ive read some of the summits dailies. 

but im gonna be in shorts and jeans the trip on summit, no way dressing up. are most on celebrity dressed up or more relaxed like ncl. ive been on princess so i expect the older demo on X. which is better because less chance of craziness. im sure more families on in june so things would be more relaxed dress wise though. but i dont want a queen mary experience 🙂

On 9/22/2019 at 3:01 PM, ashleyriley said:

Looking for opinions from those who have sailed on the Equinox and Breakaway or similar classes of ships on Celebrity and NCL. We had pretty much decided on an Eastern itinerary on the Breakaway in the Haven due to a great experience on the Jade. Recently, I have been reading reports of the Breakaway that were not so favorable,  citing extreme overcrowding, and less than stellar service and food quality. Since the Equinox went through a dry dock and has a similar concept to the Haven with it's Retreat I am also considering that ship, same Eastern itinerary. Thanks in advance for any feedback! 

We used to love Celebrity but the last 2 cruises on eclipse and Equionox were beyond boring. Silent disco is the replacement for live music and dancing opportunities. Recently enjoyed the Gem with non stop activities and live music. The band Prism was fantastic. Every night a theme party with excellent activities staff. We lost weight on a 14 nights cruise. On Celebrity we ate well but we were bored to death. Maybe later on we’ll be back on celebrity but not while we’re Young. Age 65.