How does cancelling a refundable/non-refundable fare work

PaperSniper4

How does cancelling a refundable/non-refundable fare work prior to the "final payment" date?

I've never cancelled a cruise. Curious about how Princess handles these. Make my question simple: assume we've bought no trip insurance from anyone, and we've paid the deposit only.

For the refundable deposit, I'm assuming nothing happens other than I get a full refund of my deposit. Or do I?

For a non-refundable deposit I THINK I've seen somewhere that I forfeit a hundred or so, but for the remainder of my deposit we have a credit to use within a year or so? So assuming we re-book within a year, we're only out that couple of hundred.

The only cruise we booked but didn't take was due to Irene, that bit*h! <g> Cost me a nice cruise to Bermuda, dang it. We did have insurance and made out well, thank goodness. Actually, we also get insurance, and hopefully will never need to use it for any reason. 😎

Doug

Refundable deposit is just that. You cancel before final payment your deposit is totally refundable. Nonrefundable deposit is just what the word says. It’s nonrefundable. You cancel your cruise you will not get your deposit back. Never heard of the scenario you mentioned about losing only 100.00 and the rest of your deposit going into a credit.  

1 hour ago, dstables said:

Refundable deposit is just that. You cancel before final payment your deposit is totally refundable. Nonrefundable deposit is just what the word says. It’s nonrefundable. You cancel your cruise you will not get your deposit back. Never heard of the scenario you mentioned about losing only 100.00 and the rest of your deposit going into a credit.  

I guess that if you used a future cruise credit you would only lose the $100 for a non refundable deposit.

Oops!  Was going to say it is that way on Celebrity, then realized this is a Princess forum.  Sorry about that.   

I thínk Royal does that with non refundable deposits.

2 hours ago, denmarks said:

I guess that if you used a future cruise credit you would only lose the $100 for a non refundable deposit.

I was told by a Princess Supervisor a week ago that FCD will go back into your account if you use them to book a non refundable fare and then cancel before final payment. I asked for it in writing and was told they do this as a courtisy but do not have it in writing.

8 minutes ago, dog said:

I was told by a Princess Supervisor a week ago that FCD will go back into your account if you use them to book a non refundable fare and then cancel before final payment. I asked for it in writing and was told they do this as a courtisy but do not have it in writing.

That would be a good reason to use a Future Cruise Credit.

4 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

How does cancelling a refundable/non-refundable fare work prior to the "final payment" date?

I've never cancelled a cruise. Curious about how Princess handles these. Make my question simple: assume we've bought no trip insurance from anyone, and we've paid the deposit only.

For the refundable deposit, I'm assuming nothing happens other than I get a full refund of my deposit. Or do I?

For a non-refundable deposit I THINK I've seen somewhere that I forfeit a hundred or so, but for the remainder of my deposit we have a credit to use within a year or so? So assuming we re-book within a year, we're only out that couple of hundred.

The only cruise we booked but didn't take was due to Irene, that bit*h! <g> Cost me a nice cruise to Bermuda, dang it. We did have insurance and made out well, thank goodness. Actually, we also get insurance, and hopefully will never need to use it for any reason. 😎

Doug

Thanks, good to know if it ever comes up.

Doug

Edited by PaperSniper4

1 hour ago, dog said:

Well you should've pushed for it in writing at least an email. I know from experience that if you book a non-refundable fare using a FCD you lose that FCD if you cancel. I talked to multiple departments and it was still no. I even used my nice voice practically begging.

As Shane/Cindy found, and as Princess clarified in some of their more recent fine print, once an FCD is deposited on a cruise, it becomes the same as cash. If it is used as a non-refundable deposit, then it becomes a non-refundable bit of cash. However, non-refundable is not the same as non-transferable. Meaning, if you have to cancel the cruise on which you have a nonrefundable deposit, you are better off to transfer it to another cruise when you call to cancel the first one. If you just outright cancel, without transferring, you will lose that deposit.

2 hours ago, shanecindy21403 said:

Well you should've pushed for it in writing at least an email. I know from experience that if you book a non-refundable fare using a FCD you lose that FCD if you cancel. I talked to multiple departments and it was still no. I even used my nice voice practically begging.

I refused the offer, so supervisor gave me a refundable deposit fare. I did have 2 other Princess agents tell me the same. If it is not in writing I don't book it.

3 hours ago, denmarks said:

That would be a good reason to use a Future Cruise Credit.

Only if you trust what the Princess supervisor or agents tell you. It can change from one call to the next.

"It is not in writing,"  she said "we only do it as a courtesy".

I just insisted on a refundable deposit.