Hong Kong Concerns?

USN59-79

We booked a 14-day cruise on the Westerdam to and from Hong Kong a couple of weeks ago for December.  I just noticed that the fares have been reduced about 30%.  I wonder if people are cancelling because of the recent turmoil in Hong Kong, particularly around the airport.  Also wonder if there is a chance they might substitute another port.

We are staying away from China for now.  I'm not comfortable supporting a government that suppresses personal freedom.  I stand with the people of Hong Kong and wish them well as they stand strong and firm against a tyrannical giant.

Maybe that's what other folks are doing and is negatively impacting the bookings (and their economy). 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

We booked a 14-day cruise on the Westerdam to and from Hong Kong a couple of weeks ago for December.  I just noticed that the fares have been reduced about 30%.  I wonder if people are cancelling because of the recent turmoil in Hong Kong, particularly around the airport.  Also wonder if there is a chance they might substitute another port.

We've been wondering how this will evolve... it's been quite some time, and there doesn't seem to be an easy/final resolution.

We're scheduled to connect through Hong Kong en route home after our NZ/Australia cruise in mid-December.  We spent some time in Hong Kong 2 years ago, and as much as we'd love to have another quick visit, we are considering spending the night within one of the little hotel-type places that is air-side.  We'll keep a lookout, but this is probably why we were able to get terrific awards air tickets on relatively short notice.

It could all change rather suddenly.

GC

We’re staying away from China too.  Along with the turmoil, we have concerns being Canadian about the current relations between our governments and Canadians being detained unjustly.

We deliberately chose an Asia cruise which excluded China.

• Like 3

My co-worker is from Hong Kong but has her Canadian citizenship.  I was concerned for her when she went to visit family and join the protests last month.  She must have had guardian angels because she got the last flight out before all flights were grounded.  She said the protests she participated in were peaceful.  I will not travel there as a Canadian, as someone with asthma, and on principle. 

We've got a Spring 2021 B2B that hits Hong Kong twice, so watching what is going on, but since its almost 18 months away at this point, leaving it on the books for now. If this turmoil is still going on a year from now, will have to reconsider this one. 

2 hours ago, sfaaa said:

China has just detained an American FedEx pilot (a retired USAF veteran) on some questionable charge. Travelers beware.

Is this a second episode?  Something like this happened a while ago.

Also, was this in mainland China, or in Hong Kong?

GC

2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Is this a second episode?  Something like this happened a while ago.

Also, was this in mainland China, or in Hong Kong?

GC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/china-confirms-detention-of-american-fedex-pilot-suspected-of-smuggling-ammunition/2019/09/20/27ed16fe-db82-11e9-a1a5-162b8a9c9ca2_story.html

I wasn't able to read the Washington Post article without subscribing to their feed so I Googled it and found out:  He is a FedEX pilot travelling from Guanzou (formerly Canton) to Hong Kong where he lives.  Authorities at the airport found some non-metal pellets used in pellet guns in his luggage.  He is an American citizen residing in Hong Kong and a retired Air Force colonel.  Part of the dispute involves his employer and the Chinese Gov't involving FedEX's refusal to ship or deliver Huawei electronic parts as requested by the U.S. Gov't and a recent case of FedEX delivering a pistol from the U.S. to a Chinese business in China.  Looks like he is a scapegoat for his employer's dispute with the Chinese Gov't.

23 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

I wasn't able to read the Washington Post article without subscribing to their feed so I Googled it and found out:  He is a FedEX pilot travelling from Guanzou (formerly Canton) to Hong Kong where he lives.  Authorities at the airport found some non-metal pellets used in pellet guns in his luggage.  He is an American citizen residing in Hong Kong and a retired Air Force colonel.  Part of the dispute involves his employer and the Chinese Gov't involving FedEX's refusal to ship or deliver Huawei electronic parts as requested by the U.S. Gov't and a recent case of FedEX delivering a pistol from the U.S. to a Chinese business in China.  Looks like he is a scapegoat for his employer's dispute with the Chinese Gov't.

I used to collect airsoft guns. The non-metal pellets referred to are tiny plastic BBs and harmless unless you hit someone in the eye at point blank range. Like you said, this American pilot is a scapegoat (hostage may be a better term) held by China and used as a bargaining chip to settle ongoing disputes with US. China does not respect international laws like we do in the West.