Voyage of the Vikings a Specialty Cruise? I think not!

Riversedge

12 hours ago, Umbarger said:

Your post makes me want to run screaming to Celebrity.  We have really liked HAL in the past.  I think things have gone downhill since they joined with Oprah.  We are taking the Tales of the south pacific in October.  I hope it won't turn out like your cruise did.  Please tell us when you get a reply and what HAL says.   

Don't get your hopes up, the s. pacific cruise is no grand voyage, which means the crows nest will be dead etc.

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I’ve never actually seen anyone wearing the pins or medallions but I think it’s nice that they would want to wear them.  I don’t take offense to it.  In fact, I think it would be a nice conversation starter, really.

Saw people wearing the pins on Mariner Brunch day last week and thought it was nice and a conversation starter.  Met one couple with a Presidental Pin - very nice, helpful people - with 3900 actual days!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I’ve never actually seen anyone wearing the pins or medallions but I think it’s nice that they would want to wear them.  I don’t take offense to it.  In fact, I think it would be a nice conversation starter, really.

Yes, it is.  Some pax are very interested in where you've been (where not, too) and have all sorts of questions.  Met some of the nicest pax that way!

• Like 1

Jeff F is a presidents club cruiser. He has been cruising on HAL since 2007. This year rather than do the World Cruise as usual, he chose the Zuiderdam to sail on for 258 Days. I have been following his adventures. 

Jeff was very complimentary of the staff and crew:

This is my last posting of this incredible and memorable journey and I would like to thank everyone who made it possible.  I really love the Zuiderdam, its Officers and Crew!”

We returned to the ship early as we had a dinner engagement in the Pinnacle Restaurant with the Captain and Senior Officers...our farewell family dinner and evening with this great group of friends was very special and memorable.  I will really miss this wonderful group of Officers and Crew…..  just the Best!!!!”

”Today I was totally stunned when the Captain, Bart Vaartjes and Hotel Director, Darren Lewis, at the end of the Mariner Ceremony, asked me as the top Mariner to join them along with Ann & Cathy Scott on stage for a photo….  I thought this was a bit strange since they normally call up Ann & Cathy as the top Platinum Mariners to come up for a photo first before calling me up last.  We got up on stage with Bart & Darren and someone said to me turn around and I was just gobsmacked!  It seemed as if the majority of the officers and crew magically appeared onstage behind us…  Just stunned!!!!  They all stood there clapping as “We are family” played in the background….  I will never forget this moment when the Officers and Crew of the Zuiderdam came out to recognize us in this beautiful manner….  It was just like the crew fills the stage at the end of a Grand Voyage to say goodbye….  These folks mean the world to me and truly are part of our family….  I’m still overcome with such an incredible sense of joy and gratitude that words cannot describe.  As I’ve said many times “Loving every day on the ms Zuiderdam”.  I want to thank all the Officers and Crew for making this 8 ½ month a truly memorable journey….  But wait, we aren’t quite done yet…  bring on Greenland, home of my birth!”

i have also sailed with HD Darren Lewis and I found him to be very personable and funny. One should never take it personally if senior staff don’t have time to stop and say hello. I always have a wonderful cruise. That isn’t to say that I don’t notice that there are no production shows. I am sure that happened due to all the complaints over the years that shows I enjoyed were not as good as High School shows. I am unhappy that there isn’t a designed Port/Travel Guide. But none of that is going to keep me from enjoying my next cruise. Yes, I like HAL. And I especially like being on a ship where the Captain knows what he is doing and does not run into docks or run down riverboats injuring passengers.

Not sure why I am bothering posting as everyone has their own opinion including me. But too often, I see someone running down a ship and then we board worried that it will be a horrible cruise because of what someone posted and then discover the opposite. Not that anyone will take my advise, but I would recommend those with such high expectations that they chose a luxury cruise on a fairly new ship. Older ship will have problems. After all you are cruising on ship which flex’s and creaks in rough seas. If you don’t want pipes that sometimes break and a ship that doesn’t creak maybe a land vacation would be better. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Storylady said:

Jeff F is a presidents club cruiser. He has been cruising on HAL since 2007. This year rather than do the World Cruise as usual, he chose the Zuiderdam to sail on for 258 Days. I have been following his adventures. 

Jeff was very complimentary of the staff and crew:

This is my last posting of this incredible and memorable journey and I would like to thank everyone who made it possible.  I really love the Zuiderdam, its Officers and Crew!”

We returned to the ship early as we had a dinner engagement in the Pinnacle Restaurant with the Captain and Senior Officers...our farewell family dinner and evening with this great group of friends was very special and memorable.  I will really miss this wonderful group of Officers and Crew…..  just the Best!!!!”

”Today I was totally stunned when the Captain, Bart Vaartjes and Hotel Director, Darren Lewis, at the end of the Mariner Ceremony, asked me as the top Mariner to join them along with Ann & Cathy Scott on stage for a photo….  I thought this was a bit strange since they normally call up Ann & Cathy as the top Platinum Mariners to come up for a photo first before calling me up last.  We got up on stage with Bart & Darren and someone said to me turn around and I was just gobsmacked!  It seemed as if the majority of the officers and crew magically appeared onstage behind us…  Just stunned!!!!  They all stood there clapping as “We are family” played in the background….  I will never forget this moment when the Officers and Crew of the Zuiderdam came out to recognize us in this beautiful manner….  It was just like the crew fills the stage at the end of a Grand Voyage to say goodbye….  These folks mean the world to me and truly are part of our family….  I’m still overcome with such an incredible sense of joy and gratitude that words cannot describe.  As I’ve said many times “Loving every day on the ms Zuiderdam”.  I want to thank all the Officers and Crew for making this 8 ½ month a truly memorable journey….  But wait, we aren’t quite done yet…  bring on Greenland, home of my birth!”

i have also sailed with HD Darren Lewis and I found him to be very personable and funny. One should never take it personally if senior staff don’t have time to stop and say hello. I always have a wonderful cruise. That isn’t to say that I don’t notice that there are no production shows. I am sure that happened due to all the complaints over the years that shows I enjoyed were not as good as High School shows. I am unhappy that there isn’t a designed Port/Travel Guide. But none of that is going to keep me from enjoying my next cruise. Yes, I like HAL. And I especially like being on a ship where the Captain knows what he is doing and does not run into docks or run down riverboats injuring passengers.

Not sure why I am bothering posting as everyone has their own opinion including me. But too often, I see someone running down a ship and then we board worried that it will be a horrible cruise because of what someone posted and then discover the opposite. Not that anyone will take my advise, but I would recommend those with such high expectations that they chose a luxury cruise on a fairly new ship. Older ship will have problems. After all you are cruising on ship which flex’s and creaks in rough seas. If you don’t want pipes that sometimes break and a ship that doesn’t creak maybe a land vacation would be better. 

He was on our cruise!  While my husband received his 100 day they did this great thing for Jeff!  It was quite moving!   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sueleekey said:

He was on our cruise!  While my husband received his 100 day they did this great thing for Jeff!  It was quite moving!   

Having met Jeff on the Voyage if the Vikings years ago and also on the World Cruise. He is definitely a gentleman and doesn't brag about being Presidents Club. He has a wonderful circle of friends that he enjoys cruising with. And he is well known to the senior officers. He quite often takes extremely long cruises. And for someone who spent that much on HAL, it was nice of the Zuiderdam staff to recognize him. I would have loved to have been there. So glad you had that opportunity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just a word about "Grand Voyages"  We have done only two and they were both excellent cruises (on the Prinsendam every cruise was excellent).  But we thought the "Grand" thing was overblown and overhyped by HAL.  For example, HAL said (or used to say) that they have special staff/crew on the Grand Cruises.  But the reality is that nearly the entire crew is just working their normal contract periods.  About the only personel change we noticed on our Grand cruises involved the Cruise Director, the port expert (not sure they even have them any more), and the addition of some first rate lecturers.  On the other hand, the best lecturer we ever had on any HAL cruise (or any cruise) was Dr. Alan Wright (Astronomer) who happened to be on a normal trans-pacific cruise.   But just about everything else on our Grand Voyages was pretty normal for HAL including the cuisine, service, and entertainment.  The "gifts" were fine, but most of these were not really that special.  Speaking of the VOV cruise, when we took that on the Rotterrdam we found it interesting that Arnold Donald's wife was traveling "incognito" on that cruise.  She thought it was a special enough voyage that she took time from her schedule to do the entire voyage.

Hank

Not sure about the non reality of special crew for the Grand voyages.

Our favorite Canaletto server was all excited because she'd been selected to join an upcoming Grand voyage.  She was the best of the best, so there must be something to the hand-picking of crew for these voyages.

• Like 1

We sailed on Zuiderdam for the Viking Passage a year ago for the 20 Nite from CPH to NYC.  I don't agree with the OP's review since our experience was completely different!  Captain Bart and Darren Lewis are two of our favorites and have sailed twice with them.  They were very accessible throughout the Cruise!  In addition, Captain Bart kept us well informed with all that happened throughout the Cruise due to Weather as well as the aiding in a Search and Rescue of a Jumper off an Aida Ship.  His "Ask the Captain" was the best  we've attended!   Captain Bart and Darren were at the Gangway when we would go off in the Ports.  In Greenland and Isafjurdur  which are Tender Ports Darren would be on  land while Crew were handing out Chicken Soup and Hot Chocolate and overseeing the lines getting on the Tenders.  As we Debarked the Ship in Brooklyn Terminal both were down at the end of the Gangway saying Good-bye to Passengers.

We had Late Fixed Seating and the food was good to very, very good and the Waitstaff and Wine Attendant excellent!  Pinnacle was excellent!  The Crew was extremely friendly throughout the Ship!  This was our fourth Cruise on Zuiderdam and our second after the Remodel.  The Ship is in great condition!

This was one of our favorite Cruises with a great Captain and  HD and a wonderful Crew!  I find it hard to believe so much could possibly change in a year with this Ship and this Captain!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

My husband and I were also on the 2019 Voyage of the Viking cruise.  We thought this was one of the best cruises we have been on.  This made our 14th HAL cruise.  We loved the ports.  I am sure the crew were tired at times, but they did not show it to us.  We ate early in the dining room, we were always in and out within 45 minutes.  The dining room waiters always took time to talk to us and ask about our day.  Maybe it was because we ate early.  It was not unusual to go into the Lido for breakfast every morning and find the employees singing and laughing.  There were several opportunities to meet the captain and my husband commented after the cruise that we had never seen a captain so visible on a ship.  He even spoke to the captain and told him how friendly the staff were and how well the ship was ran.  This was not our first cruise on the Zuiderdam and we would not hesitate to book another cruise on that ship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As the OP I will gladly report if I receive a reply from Orlando.  I’m not holding my breath. 

As was was previously reported, this cruise was originally planned for the Rotterdam.  Maybe that would have helped.  I’m sure they thought a larger ship would bring in more money and maybe that’s so but I think it downgraded our experience.  If I remember correctly we were about 150 persons less than full.  However, we have a friend currently on the Rotterdam and all is not well on there either. 

I am reading that that some of you on the cruise did not agree with my assessments. Here is an email I just received from our dinner mates from the 35 days.  (We were on fixed seating)   They were continuing on the Zuiderdam for another 47 days after we got off.  I am posting this so you can see it was not my imagination.  It also may explain why the passengers after us didn’t notice as many problems.  

From my email:

Once the Vikings  cruise was over, a major change in attitude and friendliness is very apparent.   We had a long discussion with the Hotel Director-- cocktails and a very formal  dinner with a very Frank discussion.   Since the ship was designed for 14 day cruises maximum they had huge problems with inventories, deliveries and storage and to complicate matters Seattle was asking for MUCH statistics etc.  A great relief was obvious. He vented much frustrations .  We can now understand some (not all) of the attitudes  of senior management  aboard including Koman the Maittre,d.” (End of email)

I’m glad for their sake that things got better.  And I’m glad that they had a chance to voice their dissatisfaction while still onboard.  I don’t see how all the broken tiles and broken pipes could’ve been fixed so fast when we had to live with the buckets in several hallways for the whole 35 days.  But, if they are fixed, that’s a good thing.  I know I’ll never get my husband on this ship again.  

For the the person who asked if there was a band in the Ocean bar, the answer is no.  

Happy cruising everyone.  No matter what ship you chose to go on, the ocean is still blue and the horizons are broad.  May we all continue to enjoy for many years. 

10 hours ago, Pchamb3 said:

For those of you that have done the VOV, do we need any special visas? We are Americans.

Also, did you use credit cards for purchases off ship or did you convert to local currency before the cruise or would this be possible at guest services onboard?

Just a side note: we really liked the more sophisticated ambience that was present on the ship and with Hal’s passengers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We we did not need any visas and can’t imagine why you would next year either but it’s always good to check to see if there’s changes.    We used credit cards for most purchases but also sometimes took money out of an atm so that we had local currency for small purchases or tips.  There a lot of different currencies needed for this cruise. I think the front desk had some monies available but can’t tell you which as we didn’t go that route. 

• Like 1

Enough with the 14 days already!  :).  We are talking about a Vista Class ship (we have been on all the Vista ships) and it is complete baloney that they were "designed" for 14 day cruises.  In fact we have taken Vista Class ships across the pacific on 28 day cruises (one way).  The ship has adequate storage space for longer cruises and the VOV cruise gives them more then adequate opportunity to replenish stocks at various ports along the route (Reykjavik being an option).  HAL is used to operating longer voyages and the norm is to "spot" containers with necessary supplies along the route.  Yes, sometimes on long cruises some items will eventually be out of stock, but this is not a norm.   If the senior staff used this 14 day thing as an excuse then shame on them.  Perhaps they were simply making excuses for their own incompetence or bad planning or covering up for a mistake at Seattle.  

For the crew, a ship is simply one continuum of voyages.  The least popular day for the crew are the turn-around days when their work load is huge.  Long voyages are actually easier on the crew.   While passengers think in terms of their own cruise, the crew thinks in terms of their own contracts (how many days until I go home).  Contracts run a lot longer then the VOV cruise...which is just another day at work.  Of course if the passengers on a particular cruise become very demanding and/or rude then the crew will have a "long voyage."

When we took the VOV on the Rotterdam our cruise lacked many of the wines that were on the usual wine packages (often purchased by 3-5* Mariners for their discounts).  The beverage manager told us (early in the cruise) that a container with part of their wine supply had missed the ship in Boston!  There is little excuse for that kind of thing (just poor logistical planning) but it happened.  We recently came off a Caribbean Princess cruise where they had a similar problem....a container with much of their liquor supply somehow missed the ship's embarkation in NYC (Red Hook).  This issue had not been corrected by the end of our cruise (also in NYC) so the following cruise was going to have lots of booze shortages for the first 3 days (until they could have a container catch-up tot he ship).

The issue with buckets on HAL vessels has happened to us (too often) and it is very sad.  We cruise many different lines and it is only on Celebrity (and one time on Princess) when we have seen buckets.  In the case of the Princess cruise the offending leak was repaired within 24 hours and the bucket disappeared.  When we had buckets on the Rotterdam (including a large leak in the Lido coming from the deck above) nothing was repaired on our 30 some day cruise.  One officer told us it was a "deferred maintenance" thing and would be addressed at the next dry dock (months away).   After reading this thread I had to smile.  On that Rotterdam cruise we documented the numerous bucket issue with photos.  And yet there were some "cheerleaders" who were on the same cruise that said they never saw a bucket.  It was hard to miss in the Lido since there were major leaks right near one of the main buffet lines (we actually saw the Captain walk around the buckets).    We concluded that some folks are either completely oblivious or just cannot accept that anything could possibly go wrong on their beloved line.

Now, when we cruise on the older HAL vessels we count ourselves fortunate if our cabin thermostat works and we are able to adjust our cabin temperature.  As long as that thermostat works and the toilet flushes we count ourselves lucky :).  After more then 40 years of extensive cruising it is only on HAL ships where we have had several instances of cabin temperature issues (plumbing problems happen on any cruise line).

Hank

My wife and I also sailed on the above mentioned Voyage of the Vikings. Overall, we were very pleased with our experience and would highly recommend the cruise to others. We found the crew to be especially friendly and helpful. Those working on the Lido Deck seemed to make a strong effort to be both helpful and cheerful.  They also seemed to enjoy each others company. Our cabin attendants were outstanding.  We found the Captain to be exceptional.  He was an excellent communicator and was highly visible and friendly around the ship.  He also seemed to make all the right decisions regarding the safety of the ship and the passengers, when we encountered questionable weather conditions. It must have been especially challenging and exhausting to sail through Iceberg Alley with dense fog. I can echo the comments of others when it came to Jessica our Travel Director.  She was outstanding!  The best!

We found the Zuiderdam to be in good to excellent condition considering her age and the daily wear and tear. We especially liked her new decor. The evening shows were a hit or miss. This and the food are always a subjective discussion.  Generally, we liked the food but, at times, the service was a bit slow in the main dining room. I was particularly pleased to have the Screening Room up and running. I always enjoy a good movie on the big screen and especially in the evenings. 

Holland America consistently has the best itineraries. The Voyage of the Vikings didn't disappoint.  I can see why so many passengers have repeated this particular cruise. I just wish we had seen a polar bear or two floating by on an ice flow. Prince Christian Sund made the trip all worth it. We experienced two spectacular days of scenic cruising through the Sund, which showed off the incredible beauty of the passage. We enjoyed all of the ports of call, even if the weather wasn't always the best.

In sum, we had a terrific cruise!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We are talking about a Vista Class ship (we have been on all the Vista ships) and it is complete baloney that they were "designed" for 14 day cruises.  In fact we have taken Vista Class ships across the pacific on 28 day cruises (one way).

On this point we can agree completely 🙂 

My last cruise on a Vista was Hawaii, Tahiti and Marquesas - much longer than a 14 day 😉 

And previous to that a 33 day Panama +.  

so yes, Vistas can do a LOT more than 14 day cruises.  Any of the HAL ships can.  Even the smallest that just left the fleet did some of the longest 😉 and of course, the Amsterdam does the World with no problem 😉 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

On this point we can agree completely 🙂 

My last cruise on a Vista was Hawaii, Tahiti and Marquesas - much longer than a 14 day 😉 

And previous to that a 33 day Panama +.  

so yes, Vistas can do a LOT more than 14 day cruises.  Any of the HAL ships can.  Even the smallest that just left the fleet did some of the longest 😉 and of course, the Amsterdam does the World with no problem 😉 

Geez, now you have ruined my cognac.  You had to bring up our beloved Prinsendam which for some inexplicable reason is our favorite cruise ship of them all....and we have been on more then 70 different vessels.  There was something about that P'Dam that I have never fully understood, but we have met many other HAL cruisers who felt the same.  Only a higher authority can forgive Mr. Ashford (and Mr. Donald) for selling the P'Dam. for they did not know "what they do."

Hank 

DH and I were on the Voyage of the Vikings in 2018 (Rotterdam) and in 2019 (Zuiderdam).   While we enjoyed both cruises, they were totally different.  My survey was not very kind after our 2019 Voyage.

I agree with the OP except in two areas:

1.  We liked the captain, and saw him often.  But I do recall three times he mention that we should buy a drink!  Not sure if that was coming from the Hotel Director (that we never saw) or what.

2.  We had a great service in the dining room.

Our major disappointment was the difference in the food.  Maybe we were spoiled in 2018 when lobster (as much as you wanted) was served every Gala night.  Shrimp cocktail was on the menu nearly every other night in the MDR.  This year, lobster was on the Gala Dinner menu just twice.  However,  you could purchase lobster any night for an uncharge of $25pp.  Our waiter would get a special dinner or some time off for every lobster he "sold"!

Another disappointment was the Cruise Director and Assistant Cruise Director (both apparently weak or novices).  If one of them had a day off, didn't feel well, had dinner in the MDR, etc. there was no one else to take over for them.  Many times the main stage entertainment started and/or ended by itself - no introduction and/or no wrap up.  The Assistant Cruise Director did both afternoon and evening trivia.  But a few times she wasn't available so trivia was cancelled..  In past years the librarian or a singer could read trivia questions.  But there is no one else anymore!  How about someone from guest relations or the purser perhaps? 

And as we disembarked, expecting to finally see the Hotel Director, and the Cruise Director, only a waiter and two women from the front desk were there to say good-bye.

The entertainment was a joke.  Several nights we had to decide whether to see a movie on the big screen or back in our cabin.  Either some talent didn't show up or HAL in Seattle dropped the ball.  (Someone mentioned the need to get used to less cocktail parties;  there were none......none in 35 days.)  

I could mention more, but overall we had a great time on the Zuiderdam.  One thing that was better in 2019 than 2018 were the larger tenders.  Thus the process went faster and it also changed for 4 and 5 stars.  In 2018 every one had to get a tender ticket and wait until your number was called.  In 2019, 4 and 5 stars could go to the Ocean Bar, get a ticket, and then go directly to the tender!

The difference from one year to another year was huge.  We had talked to Hotel Director Darren 5 months before the cruise (cocktail party on Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam) about how much we enjoyed the food on the Rotterdam in 2018.  We all  hoped it would be just as good this time.  But this time we had the Lobster at a $25 uncharge.  I have to wonder who made that decision?   and why?

Edited by sansterre
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Pchamb3 said:

My husband and I booked the July 2020 VOV cruise last week on the zaandam. It will be our third Hal cruise. We are currently elite on celebrity and diamond plus on royal, so not new to cruising.

We enjoyed Hal so much that we thought we would do our first real adventure with the Hal line. All our other cruises have been no longer than 11 days and the usual Bahamas, Carribean, Alaska and Mexico itineraries.

For those of you that have done the VOV, do we need any special visas? We are Americans.

Also, did you use credit cards for purchases off ship or did you convert to local currency before the cruise or would this be possible at guest services onboard?

Just a side note: we really liked the more sophisticated ambience that was present on the ship and with Hal’s passengers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to all that have responded to my questions. I am still figuring out how to use the boards. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Enough with the 14 days already!  :).  We are talking about a Vista Class ship (we have been on all the Vista ships) and it is complete baloney that they were "designed" for 14 day cruises.  In fact we have taken Vista Class ships across the pacific on 28 day cruises (one way).  The ship has adequate storage space for longer cruises and the VOV cruise gives them more then adequate opportunity to replenish stocks at various ports along the route (Reykjavik being an option).  HAL is used to operating longer voyages and the norm is to "spot" containers with necessary supplies along the route.  Yes, sometimes on long cruises some items will eventually be out of stock, but this is not a norm.   If the senior staff used this 14 day thing as an excuse then shame on them.  Perhaps they were simply making excuses for their own incompetence or bad planning or covering up for a mistake at Seattle. 

Hank

I have to agree with you, Hank.  This cruise was changed from the Rotterdam to the Zuiderdam MONTHS ago.  There should have been ample time to do the preparations and planning.  An excuse is usually another name for passing the buck.   I suspect the horrible toilet paper (a small issue, I know) was because they didn't order enough.  It was fine when we started and changed mid cruise.  I also suspect that the stuff we were given, which was truly awful, is what they usually use for the crew.  Sad.  

The captain did give good updates a couple of times a day.  I did see him on the dock after the first couple of weeks.  I never saw him smile or talk to anyone but we usually get off and go and don't linger around the dock area.   When we approached the travel host to ask where the taxi stand was his comment was "you should pay for the Holland America shuttle".  (which was more than the taxis we took)  Our friends told him that the last time they did that they waited 2 hours at the other end to get back.  His answer was a hmmph and turned his back on us.  He mentioned more than once that we should be spending money on drinks, tours, in the shops, etc.  I guess that turned me off completely to anything that may have been good.  I hope that Seattle isn't forcing the captains to be sales agents.  

Our dinners always took 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours.  I don't know how you could finish in 45 minutes unless you went to open seating when the doors open.   There were a couple guys that served in the Lido that were singing every day.  Good for them.  That's how I remember all of them being in the past before all the work was piled on.  

50 minutes ago, Riversedge said:

I have to agree with you, Hank.  This cruise was changed from the Rotterdam to the Zuiderdam MONTHS ago.  There should have been ample time to do the preparations and planning.  An excuse is usually another name for passing the buck.   I suspect the horrible toilet paper (a small issue, I know) was because they didn't order enough.  It was fine when we started and changed mid cruise.  I also suspect that the stuff we were given, which was truly awful, is what they usually use for the crew.  Sad.  

The captain did give good updates a couple of times a day.  I did see him on the dock after the first couple of weeks.  I never saw him smile or talk to anyone but we usually get off and go and don't linger around the dock area.   When we approached the travel host to ask where the taxi stand was his comment was "you should pay for the Holland America shuttle".  (which was more than the taxis we took)  Our friends told him that the last time they did that they waited 2 hours at the other end to get back.  His answer was a hmmph and turned his back on us.  He mentioned more than once that we should be spending money on drinks, tours, in the shops, etc.  I guess that turned me off completely to anything that may have been good.  I hope that Seattle isn't forcing the captains to be sales agents.  

Our dinners always took 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours.  I don't know how you could finish in 45 minutes unless you went to open seating when the doors open.   There were a couple guys that served in the Lido that were singing every day.  Good for them.  That's how I remember all of them being in the past before all the work was piled on.  

It is really interesting how folks can really differ on what is important.  For example, we love 2 hour dinners.  We like to dine late (after 7:45) and share large tables.  Dinner, for us, is usually a lot of fun (social highlight of the day) and we often are among the last to leave the MDR.  In fact, if a waiter were to bring things too fast (like for a 45 min dinner) my DW would politely ask the waiter to please slow down :).  Some would say this is the difference between dining and fast food.

I agree with you about all the marketing/sales on HAL (and some other mass market lines).  We recently took our first Seabourn cruise and loved that there was only a single PA announcement every day (at noon) and nobody ever mentioned "sales," inches of gold, buying drinks (Seabourn is all-inclusive) etc.  We also have an issue when they constantly push ship excursions, especially when there is a subtle comment about missing the ship.  We have been cruising for over 40 years and might take a cruise line excursion once in 200 ports!  I strongly dislike large group tours and cruise line excursions are normally the worst of large group tours..not to mention being overpriced.  We know that some love excursions and we love those who always take excursions since that makes it easier to rent cars, use trains, buses, etc. without crowding :).  If we feel the need for a tour then we generally join with a few others to book a private tour (the CC Roll Call is a great place to put this together).

A few days ago DW and talked about booking the 2020 VOV cruise (we do love the itinerary).  After reading this blog (and talking to a few others) and looking at the price we decided there is no way we will book that cruise.  We already have one longer HAL cruise booked for next year and not so sure we could tolerate two long HAL cruises within a few months of each other.  Lately we have been using Princess for our longer cruises.  Although Princess also has its issues we have lately found their product more to our liking then HAL.  Our biggest "turn off" with HAL is what has happened to their entertainment!  If I want to watch a movie (or a BBC documentary) I can do it in my own home (which has a better sound system then HAL).   And if I want to listen to pre-recorded music I can also do that at home :(.

Hank

On 9/27/2019 at 11:39 AM, *Miss G* said:

Imagine the stories they can tell!