Can I get rid of my luggage (crystal)

Richard M Nixon

I know that the staterooms on river ships are quite small and I've heard frequent complaints about the crystal cruises in particular not having a lot of space for luggage. That concerns me as I'm traveling with at least two 27" suitcases.

Can I rid myself of them once I'm checked in? I assumed that my stateroom attendant would be able to store them somewhere but I realized that there may not be a luggage storage area on such a small ship. 

16 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

I haven't read reviews of crystal, but do they not fit under the bed(s)? I was just on an Avalon ship on the mekong - only 18 cabins - but the suitcases fit under the beds 😉

I'm not sure. I have seen at least one review complaining that their suitcase was too tall (assuming they oriented it correctly) to fit under the bed. I'm preparing for that case. 

4 hours ago, Richard M Nixon said:

I'm not sure. I have seen at least one review complaining that their suitcase was too tall (assuming they oriented it correctly) to fit under the bed. I'm preparing for that case. 

You can always open the suitcase and lay it open under the bed.

Sometimes it's the frame that hangs down a bit lower (than the rest of the bed), raising the foot of the bed so that the bag can slide under usually works, also.

On the Crystal Mozart - my Butler offered to take my suitcase (I am not sure if he meant to put it under my bed or take it elsewhere but I assume he was going to take it elsewhere.). I declined as I had room in my stateroom and it was not in the way.

I don't agree with your comment that staterooms on Crystal river boats are small.  We found the standard cabin on Crystal Mahler to be of nice size, including a walk-in closet and a spacious bathroom with a huge shower. 

There are a small handful of "petite" staterooms that are small, but those are basically intended for solo travelers.

Our suitcases easily fit under the king bed in the standard stateroom. 

On the other hand, Crystal's ocean ships have small standard staterooms.

On 9/26/2019 at 8:03 PM, Richard M Nixon said:

Thanks for the replies. I'm still looking for an answer to the question of whether there is a luggage storage system on the ships.

Why don't you post the dimensions of your luggage, and maybe someone who has sailed on Crystal with the same sized cases can tell you whether they fit under the bed?

We just got off the Bach last week.  Wonderful first River and Crystal cruise!!!  I will not be able to cruise any other line again as I have been officially "Crystalized"!  We were in a deluxe room and had plenty of room for the two of us.  Nice size walk-in closet, large bathroom with two sinks and very nice comfortable king bed.  We didn't even miss the balcony--the pano window was nice enough.

Regarding the luggage, our large 30" hardcase Away luggage fit under the bed with just a little wiggling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cma2008 said:

We just got off the Bach last week.  Wonderful first River and Crystal cruise!!!  I will not be able to cruise any other line again as I have been officially "Crystalized"!  We were in a deluxe room and had plenty of room for the two of us.  Nice size walk-in closet, large bathroom with two sinks and very nice comfortable king bed.  We didn't even miss the balcony--the pano window was nice enough.

Regarding the luggage, our large 30" hardcase Away luggage fit under the bed with just a little wiggling.

Thanks for the level of detail. This makes me feel better.