Valuables at the Beach

littlemoos

On 9/27/2019 at 8:26 PM, Doggielover68 said:

My theory is that if you're just going to be leaving valuables on the beach, you don't need to have them with you. We carry everything of importance (cash, passport card/ID, sail and sign card) in a waterproof waist pouch. Our camera is waterproof and has a wrist strap. We leave our phones on the ship. We are always near some tourist attraction where everyone has a phone. We carry the ship's agent number with us from the Fun Times and in the event of an emergency, we can use a phone to call the local number of the agent at a hotel or something. My sunscreen and towel stay on the beach. 

Agree to an extent; however, I am a photographer and my camera goes everywhere.  I take pictures periodically off and on throughout the day.  When I'm in the water, I want it securely locked up.  While it's not a mega-bucks camera like some, it would put a dent in my cruise fund if I had to replace it.

Beach valuables go into water resistent plastic bags and then into one of two watertight cases made by Pelican.  The cases are then securely strapped to my waist.  Which case I use depends on whether I want to have my passport with me. 

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/go-case/personal-utility/g10

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/go-case/personal-utility/g40

I do not trust locking my valuables on shore.  Thieves are quite creative in their ability to thwart locks.  Nor would I impose on complete strangers to "watch" my valuables.  Similarly, I will refuse any request to watch someone else's possessions. 

• Like 1

Cash, credit card, and sail card can all get wet without issue.

I do use one of the around the neck boxes previously mentioned.

I don't take a wallet.

My camera is waterproof, and I take it in the water.

My only issue is my cell phone, and either I do not take it, or I have a waterproof waist bag to put it in.

We have been avid beach goers for over 50 years and heard to the usual anecdotal comments about valuables.  About 5 years ago we were on a Celebrity cruise that stopped in Tel Aviv and we went on a small group private tour with a few other folks.  When we got to the beach, one of the couples decided to take a dip in the sea and went off to have their swim.  They left their small back pack on the beach and asked a nearby couple if they would please keep an eye on their stuff.  About fifteen minutes later when they returned, the nearby couple was gone and so was their backpack.  It has their wallets and Passports (which cost them 36 hours of hell and some money).  The man told me that "he had been doing that at beaches is whole life and never had anything stolen."   (I wanted to tell him there was always a first time but just listened).    The punch line was that this man and his wife were both NYC senior Detectives!

So what to do?  Lots of good advice in this thread.  We never take any valuables off the ship that we must not have.  I carry adequate cash, 1 or 2 credit cards (the rest remain securely locked in our safe) and only carry our Passports if absolutely necessary.  I have a decent nylon waterproof fanny pack which holds a triple sealed waterproof bag (tested to about 100 meters deep).  In that bag goes my cash and credit cards.  Our backpack does remain on the beach but there is nothing very valuable in that bag.  I also have a waterproof bag for my cell phone (when I have my phone).  We do lots of snorkeling and have also done our share of SCUBA and our bags function perfectly.

Most folks who have valuables stolen will later say that they have done the same thing "for years" without any problem.  If you take your chances you are liable to get bitten....bad.  I do not have a solution for those who carry around large expensive cameras...other then to have one of your party stay with the camera at all times.   Even though we take lots of precautions (and been doing it for over fifty years of extensive travel) we try to operate with the idea that if everything on our person is stolen, we still have adequate back-up in our cruise or hotel safe.  I should add that there is no way I would EVER carry my regular wallet on a port day.  I bring along an extra empty wallet and only fill it with the 2 or 3 items I must have for that particular day.  And we do always carry a major credit card that we can use in case we were to somehow miss the ship....not to mention we always have the phone number of the local Port Agent (and the cruise ship...if they will give out a number).

Hank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We have been avid beach goers for over 50 years and heard to the usual anecdotal comments about valuables.

There's an insane amount of great advice here!  Thank for taking the time and making the effort.

Every time I read someone saying 'oh, I just ask someone to keep an eye on my bag' I roll my eyes.  People, in most cases, are their own most enemy.  I won't waste people's time by saying what we do with credit cards and the like but, like you, we have multiple things we do and don't do.

Thanks again.

Cath

On 9/27/2019 at 11:13 AM, tkportersat said:

I was a single mom for a few years and traveled with my kids alone, so I bought one of these to hold my money/credit cards/cruise card.  I still use to this day, causes me less stress worrying about my stuff sitting unoccupied.

Image result for waterproof holder for credit cards

We take same thing , I had won several playing trivia on rccl, they only last a few years then leak a little . We put cruise card , cash and credit cards in there

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, George C said:

We take same thing , I had won several playing trivia on rccl, they only last a few years then leak a little . We put cruise card , cash and credit cards in there

I can't tell from looking at this.  So do you tie it around you somehow?

10 hours ago, clo said:

I can't tell from looking at this.  So do you tie it around you somehow?

Hang around your neck.

On mine, the bead moves, so you can make the loop smaller once it is on, so it won't come off if you get tumbled by a wave.

I have had several for many years, and they don't leak.  But I really don't care, as I don't carry anything that gets ruined by being wet.

I have also used them at water parks.