Postmodern Jukebox / Step One Dance Company Ship Schedules?

DFWGUYZ

46 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

The clip includes content from both shows. We saw, and enjoyed them, on the K’dam last December. We are hoping for new shows when we sail on the Nieuw Statendam this coming December.

It's interesting how diverse our tastes and interests are.  Of course, that's what makes the world of travel so interesting.

Last year, we saw the first show on Nieuw Statendam but missed the second show.  We totally enjoyed the first one and anticipated the second, so there has to be a good reason we skipped it.  (Memory isn't what it used to be.  LOL.)  Like FOPMan, we're hoping to enjoy the second show this time on NS.  Since we're aboard for two weeks, maybe we'll get the chance. 

I agree the main staple shows need to change yearly because so many people repeat HAL cruises.  The entertainment needs to be innovative and different, IMO, to hold the interest of loyal passengers, although quality of shows rank low on our priority list of things we demand of a cruise line.  HAL entertainment has struggled in the past several years to meet the criteria that some passengers expect.  Is it enough by itself to drive passengers to a more varied entertainment line?  Time will tell.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I just returned from the First Alaska cruise for the year on the Zuiderdam.  I found the Step One Dance company shows to be excellent entertainment. 

They execute a broad variety of styles from a number of well known choreographers and each show is different.  Each and every one of them is a very talented dancer.  Being a dancer myself I can discern when someone is "on point" with their execution and they "rock!"  The shows also make great use of the high-tech stage.  The dancers interact with the projections to make it seem that there are more than 6 on stage.  I would rather have 6 high-caliber dancers than a stage full of mediocre ones.  

The only show that they did that lacked anything is when they were performing with the singers from Billboard Onboard.  I don't need to hear the mediocre cover of yet the same old music as background for an excellent cast of dancers.  

Given the feedback here I felt that I really needed to add some balance of opinion regarding the dance shows.  Dance is a universal "language" that speaks to everyone.  It can be enjoyed by people from all over the world.  There are plenty of singers in the other venues onboard.

Thanks for reading this!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, EDHDale said:

Given the feedback here I felt that I really needed to add some balance of opinion regarding the dance shows.  Dance is a universal "language" that speaks to everyone. 

I very much appreciate reading your post.  Obviously to me, you know more about Dance as an art form than I do.  

Is "Dance" like some forms of "Art"?  Some "art" leaves me "cold".  What's the message of that piece of art is a question I ask myself when I view it.  

Your comment that "Dance is a universal language" is probably true for those who understand that language.  If this Dance Company's performances appear during my next cruise, I will attend.  I will try to learn to understand this language.  

• Like 2

On 9/28/2019 at 6:19 PM, cruisinteach2 said:

Check out HAL forum "Postmodern Jukebox on Deck on Rotterdam"  started on July 15 for more info on these performances.

Have seen PMJ  and the dance company - not a fan of either. Miss the singers and dancers!!

I have seen PMJ on PBS television and loved them. If they were on a cruise, I would attend as many shows as possible. Not a big fan of dance only shows regardless of the backdrops.

Jim 

Edited by jeh10641
missing word
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

I have seen PMJ on PBS television and loved them. If they were on a cruise, I would attend as many shows as possible. Not a big fan of dance only shows regardless of the backdrops.

Jim 

PMJ has an extensive library on You Tube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCORIeT1hk6tYBuntEXsguLg

• Thanks 1

We just got off the Koningsdam Hawaii trip on April 28 and saw 3 of the dance shows and loved them all.  They were a very talented group - much more entertaining than the comedians.  

• Like 1

Maybe they’ve improved a lot since we saw them in 2019-a lot of the crowd actually walked out it was so bad.  We stayed out of respect.  I would certainly attend once on our next cruise to give them another chance to impress  and just hope I like it.  I love music & dance so fingers crossed.  

• Like 1

Here is an excellent YouTube clip of almost an entire Step One performance.    You can judge for yourself.   The quality of the dancing in the video is the same you will likely see today.   

Here is a video of one of the older production shows if you want to compare

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Thanks 1

It was the Postmodern  jukebox performance that people walked out on when we were on the cruise.  It was in March 2019 on the Koningsdam and apparently their debut performance-didn’t go over well at all.  

Edited by canadianbear
Add

We've watched the Step One Dance Company from the beginning of their appearances on HAL ships.  I'm not a fan of their style and the routines are now totally repetitive from ship to ship so we generally don't attend them.  My wife is a bit more sympathetic towards them.  HAL REALLY needs more diversity in their entertainment program from ship to ship and not do entertainment "cookie cutter style."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Here is an excellent YouTube clip of almost an entire Step One performance.    You can judge for yourself.

I appreciate you posting these videos.  Thank you.  

When the World Stage theater's design and abilities was announced prior to the introduction of the Pinnacle Class ships, this was not the type of entertainment which would be offered that I envisioned.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cowmilker said:

Okay, I watched that Step One video.  And maybe I'm weird, but I love it. We haven't seen it on stage yet, but this will be great.

One more vote for a form of entertainment that some of us don't understand/appreciate.  

I have to wonder why this is.  Is it a generational "thing"?  

Personally, I enjoy "dance presentations" that are part of many plays and performances that I have attended.  They enhance the music, the story being told.  Step One's performances leave me "cold".  

I don't think it's generational.  I'm 73.  🙂

I think it's because I see them as story-telling in their dance.  You don't seem to, and that may just mean that I'm the one who is nuts. 🙂  My impression of the former dance/singer things done on cruise ships were simply guys looking all strong and women looking sexy.  I KNOW that is overly simplistic, and I don't mean to do that, but that's my overall impression and the reason that I sort of found it all slightly enjoyable but ultimately forgettable.

I like abstract art, too.  And PMJ.  And Hamilton with all its rap.

:-)

On 5/9/2022 at 8:30 PM, cowmilker said:

I don't think it's generational.  I'm 73.  🙂

I think it's because I see them as story-telling in their dance.  You don't seem to, and that may just mean that I'm the one who is nuts. 🙂  My impression of the former dance/singer things done on cruise ships were simply guys looking all strong and women looking sexy.  I KNOW that is overly simplistic, and I don't mean to do that, but that's my overall impression and the reason that I sort of found it all slightly enjoyable but ultimately forgettable.

I like abstract art, too.  And PMJ.  And Hamilton with all its rap.

🙂

I appreciate reading your post.  Just a few years older than you, so, my comment about "generational" is probably not valid.

What has been the cruise guest's experience and education relating to the Arts?  Maybe that is an important influence in how one perceives the Step One Company's performances.  Before seeing this group for the first time, I knew that I ought to expect a "story" that was being illustrated.  I saw none.  My lack of education in the art of Dance? 

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

My lack of education in the art of Dance? 

I don't know.  We shouldn't have to be highly educated in art to appreciate art, any more than you need to be a world class musician to appreciate a song.

Maybe I'm just happy to be entertained and it doesn't take a whole lot to please me.  🙂