Mariner in Alaska

RJ007

Hi All,

I’m considering a Mariner cruise in Alaska with the cruisetour in September of 2020.  Very concerned about some of the negative comments and comparing the different cruise lines offerings.  We like the smaller ships and all-inclusive regent plan.  Our friends are first time cruisers ever and this would be our first time on Regent so there is some sticker-shock at the pricing.   Should we wait until the following year for Explorer?  The free first class included is very attractive.  Do you have input on the land portion as well?  Thank you in advance for your input!

I feel that the time that you go to Alaska is more important than the ship.  Having said that, if you sail in June/July and early August, when there are lots of families and children, I would sail on Mariner as they have a large lounge that is used for the children.    However, in May, late August and early September, I would prefer to sail on Explorer (which is our favorite ship).  

We are on the Mariner and it is a great ship.  Spacious and enjoyable.  Crew is outstanding but we find that to be true on all Regent ships.  We like the all inclusive as the decision to spend has already been made and I don’t get frugal about choices.

if your budget can swing it the Penthouse category is well worth it.  It is very bright and roomy.

We have cruised  to Alaska four times. Both our Regent Alaska cruises have been onboard Mariner.  It would definitely be my choice for Alaska over the Explorer.

Mariner has the advantage of the forward viewing deck and personally I find the ship has more of a social atmosphere in the Mariner lounge and Horizon lounge, but this is my own preference.

As Anne says in the above post book a Penthouse Suite as it’s a very comfortable roomy  cabin.

Re timing for cruise there we have been twice mid/late August and also once September. Never had any issues of lots of children that keeps being mentioned , however weather wise one of the August dates was really rainy most of the cruise. Otherwise the other two lovely weather.

This May we our first earlier time there and it was perfect. A dryer cold feeling which we loved and would prefer that time if we choose to go back in future.

Whichever cruise you chose for Alaska on Regent I am sure you will have a wonderful time.     Jean.

6 hours ago, RJ007 said:

Hi All,

I’m considering a Mariner cruise in Alaska with the cruisetour in September of 2020.  Very concerned about some of the negative comments and comparing the different cruise lines offerings.  We like the smaller ships and all-inclusive regent plan.  Our friends are first time cruisers ever and this would be our first time on Regent so there is some sticker-shock at the pricing.   Should we wait until the following year for Explorer?  The free first class included is very attractive.  Do you have input on the land portion as well?  Thank you in advance for your input!

We have done 4 Mariner cruises including Tokyo to Vancouver this May. Presently aboard the Explorer in Bilboa, Spain on our 6th Explorer cruise. We love Alaska (2 cruises and 5 or so land trips). My OPINION: do the Mariner; it is marvelous for Alaska. Alaska is why you should do the cruise; Mariner is the wonderful respite after a day ashore. Explorer is our favorite ship but Mariner is better for public areas and for Alaska you really don't need the expensive (but luxurious)) cabins above Deluxe.

Further go to Alaska either early or late in the season as the crowds will be less. Weather is too unpredictable to enter into the consideration. Checkout what other ships (# of passengers) would be in port with you -  important.

best wishes

Both the Mariner and Explorer are fabulous ships and I am sure you will enjoy your cruise on either. 

On balance of what would be important for us we would probably choose Mariner for Alaska. This comparison thread might help with your decision making: Explorer v Mariner

When comparing the comparative prices, consider what size of suite would be good for you on each ship. The basic suites on Mariner (D to H) are very comfortable but comparatively small; those on Explorer (G&H) are even more snug.

D, E & F suites on Explorer are excellent; on Mariner the Penthouses (A to C) are large and well configured.

Also think about whether you need the extra benefits that Concierge grade or above will bring.

As to whether to sail in 2020 or 2021, as Benjamin Franklin once said “Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today.”

..................... or of course you could always book both Mariner in 2020 and Explorer in 2021 😁

Finally, remember that Regent have a price review on Tuesday (1st October) so either or both cruises may increase in price.

As first time Regent cruisers you can take advantage of the Regent Ambassador Programme and if you are booking through a good TA you should receive other generous perks.

• Like 1

I doubt if prices will increase on Alaska itineraries since they have been difficult to sell.  Regent was running some of the most enticing offers for Alaska this summer which says to me that they were not selling well.  I would have no problem whatsoever sailing Alaska on Explorer as she is, in my opinion, a much better ship that Mariner.  

We were in Alaska earlier this month and the weather was wonderful.  Although climate change makes it difficult to predict the future, I would sail Alaska in May or September and not worry about weather (it can be cold, hot or rainy in June/July/August as well ....... not worth worrying about!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1