Passport Problem

Jann5723

OP,  I can't see what country you are from but I know that here in Australia it is easier to renew your passport if it is still current than one that has expired.

If this is your first cruise I would say that you will probably love it and will be travelling overseas again so it may be an idea to just renew it anyway ready for the next cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, geoherb said:

And as for the photos, you don't have to go to a special passport photo place. You can take your own photo and have them printed at Walmart or Costco or similar place.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/photos.html

Although you can take your own photos,  the requirements for the photo are very strict. Better to pay Walgreens or CVS to take and print the photo for you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Only some itineraries require a passport good for 6 months after. The typical cruise out of a US port only requires a valid passport. Some don’t require a passport. 

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It depends on your itinerary. Some countries require 6 months or 3 months left. Those are generally in Europe or Asia. If your cruise is a typical Caribbean cruise leaving from a US port and returning to a US port a valid passport is fine. Some US cruises only require a birth certificate.

These generalities do not apply to all closed loop Caribbean cruises.

We are on a Princess closed loop Caribbean cruise later this year and received the following notice because some of the countries on the itinerary do require a passport:

Please be advised that documentation requirements for your voyages have been updated.

A valid passport is now required for all guests on this voyage. Guests without a valid passport will be denied boarding.

Your passport should be valid for six months after the completion of travel.

7 hours ago, Dreamin of Sailaway said:

We just got the kids new passports.  From completing application at the post office on 9/6 to new passport in the mailbox on 9/25,  19 days with normal service.  Dept. of State website says 6 to 8 weeks turnaround.

That was our experience in May 2018 with our daughter’s renewal. Appointment to in hand was 18 days, not expedited. We even asked at the appointment if we should or not because there was a cruise we wanted to go on that same month. (The passport had expired a month prior — we are trying to get the over 16 renewal timed right.) She (off the record) said we should be fine without expediting. We got the passport in Monday, booked a cruise Tuesday, and sailed Saturday. Least stressful vacation ever. 😂😂

3 hours ago, caribill said:

These generalities do not apply to all closed loop Caribbean cruises.

We are on a Princess closed loop Caribbean cruise later this year and received the following notice because some of the countries on the itinerary do require a passport:

Please be advised that documentation requirements for your voyages have been updated.

A valid passport is now required for all guests on this voyage. Guests without a valid passport will be denied boarding.

Your passport should be valid for six months after the completion of travel.

That is why I said it depends on the itinerary. The itinerary has not been posted. So none can answer if they need 6 months after or not.  In any case OP has plenty of time to renew their passports normally if they need the 6 months after. They don’t have to expedite. My sister just renewed and had her passport back inside of  3 weeks.  If they don’t need the 6 months after they can wait to renew or they can go ahead and renew now because there is time to renew. If it were me I would book the January cruise and renew my passport now if I didn’t need my passport book for travel in the next 6 weeks. 

• Like 1

The timeline for return of new passports in most cases is less than one month.  We renewed ours this past spring and had the new passports in less than three weeks.  Photo at Walgreens, filled the forms out on line, mailed in the forms and old passports to the address recommended.  New passports came within three weeks.

10 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Supposed to have at least 6 months left on them when you cruise.

It is a cruise line thing.

Better get them renewed.

Not just a cruise line thing.  If you get stranded for any reason while away, you need that 6 month buffer of a valid passport.  I just renewed my passport and it took 5 weeks.  Do it NOW and you'll be fine.

7 hours ago, Crystal04 said:

I went on a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale last year to the Caribbean with my passport expiring just a few days after my return. The lady at check in just did a double check on it to confirm I was back before it expires and it was fine.

Of course,  it was a closed loop cruise. 

13 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Of course,  it was a closed loop cruise. 

It does not matter if it is a closed loop cruise or not a closed loop cruise. What matters is the countries that are visited on the itinerary. If I took a one way cruise from New York to Quebec I would not need six months after. 

Edited by Charles4515

20 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It does not matter if it is a closed loop cruise or not a closed loop cruise. What matters is the countries that are visited on the itinerary. If I took a one way cruise from New York to Quebec I would not need six months after. 

Yeah yeah yeah get the darn passport!

• Like 1

You have plenty of time to get your passport renewed. Set aside time in the next week to get the photos and paperwork done and send it off. You have more than three months if you do it now. Rather than depending on the differing opinions here or worrying about the possibility of rules changing after the first of the year, just do it and stop worrying about it.

Whether you do it now or after your cruise the procedure and cost are the same.  Why take a chance when you have plenty of time now to get it renewed.  Do it now and there will be  one less thing to worry about.  My DW got hers back in less than a month.  She got it last Monday.

We were flying into Jamaica a few yrs ago and were stressing over the same issue as they had the rule. We decided to renew and had them back in 15 and didn’t pay extra. While at our hotel we were talking to another guest also from Ohio. They had flown through Miami. The  American Airlines Rep wouldn’t let them in the airplane and they had to return home. I know this isn’t a cruise but this issue is taken seriously. You never know who is gonna say yes or know. Renew and quit worrying and get excited. 

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Although you can take your own photos,  the requirements for the photo are very strict. Better to pay Walgreens or CVS to take and print the photo for you.

I was able to read and follow the directions in the link I provided. I'd rather pay 17 cents at Costco than $12.99 at Walgreens.

9 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They don’t need expedited service if they renew now. 

They do if they’re concerned that 6-8 weeks makes them uncomfortable of “cutting it too close” if there happens to be any kind of unexpected delay.

Why pay the extra for expedited service when it is totally and completely unnecessary with the time that is available.  Waste of money.  DW renewal took about 4 weeks.  OP has 3 months.

Edited by Potstech