MDR dining with a very fussy husband!

Tikka234

Hi we have been on 4 cruises, usually eat in the buffet evenings as hubby is a fussy eater. Last 2 cruises P O and RC went to MDR  couple of nights, what a difference not just the food but so relaxed. Whereas in the buffet your rushing around never all sat down together as someone is always off getting something.

On our last cruise we did go twice to mdr  hubby soon got fed up as just had steak both nights and a chocolate cake no starter, no way was he going a 3RD night. He did see our grandchildren have sausage and chips and said I would preferred that. Can he have a child's meal but larger? Can be have chips instead of potatoes? Can be ask for baked beans instead of green beans?

We are going on a 14 night next year and would like to do mdr  a lot more, 

Any advice how flexible are they in the restaurant 

Thanks

The MDR menu is usually pretty varied, with quite a few choices, and the waiters will happily provide your husband with anything that's available.

Why anyone would choose to eat in the hell that is the buffet (good food, excellent staff but horrendous behaviour by passengers) I have no idea, but the MDR by comparison is pretty civilised.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The MDR menu is usually pretty varied, with quite a few choices, and the waiters will happily provide your husband with anything that's available.

Why anyone would choose to eat in the hell that is the buffet (good food, excellent staff but horrendous behaviour by passengers) I have no idea, but the MDR by comparison is pretty civilised.

The only thing he would have both days was steak, left the veg and jacket potato, and only choc cake from dessert he would eat. His idea of dinner is Sausage egg and chips, etc !!

26 minutes ago, Tikka234 said:

Hi we have been on 4 cruises, usually eat in the buffet evenings as hubby is a fussy eater. Last 2 cruises P O and RC went to MDR  couple of nights, what a difference not just the food but so relaxed. Whereas in the buffet your rushing around never all sat down together as someone is always off getting something.

On our last cruise we did go twice to mdr  hubby soon got fed up as just had steak both nights and a chocolate cake no starter, no way was he going a 3RD night. He did see our grandchildren have sausage and chips and said I would preferred that. Can he have a child's meal but larger? Can be have chips instead of potatoes? Can be ask for baked beans instead of green beans?

We are going on a 14 night next year and would like to do mdr  a lot more, 

Any advice how flexible are they in the restaurant 

Thanks

Personally, apart from the speciality restaurants that I guess would be a non starter for you, the MDR is the obvious choice over the buffet (unless the buffet has a popular theme night such as Indian). I agree with what has been said that the restaurant staff make every effort to provide what guests require. Chips are always available and if club dining as opposed to freedom, it won’t take long for the waiter to realise these would be your husband’s preference. Not sure about baked beans though. I suspect that on an adult only ship, it may be difficult whereas on a family ship, presumably there is a big pot of baked beans in the galley, bubbling away for the children’s menu.

I am quite a fussy eater but rarely does the menu create major problems for me. Remember, it some cultures, it is considered polite to leave some food on your plate!

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

Personally, apart from the speciality restaurants that I guess would be a non starter for you, the MDR is the obvious choice over the buffet (unless the buffet has a popular theme night such as Indian). I agree with what has been said that the restaurant staff make every effort to provide what guests require. Chips are always available and if club dining as opposed to freedom, it won’t take long for the waiter to realise these would be your husband’s preference. Not sure about baked beans though. I suspect that on an adult only ship, it may be difficult whereas on a family ship, presumably there is a big pot of baked beans in the galley, bubbling away for the children’s menu.

I am quite a fussy eater but rarely does the menu create major problems for me. Remember, it some cultures, it is considered polite to leave some food on your plate!

Where going on brittannia, I may tell him to have a burger before we go into the restaurant . One night before he went to the buffet with my son whilst I went mdr  with the rest of our group

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

We do eat in the buffet for dinner occasionally, on P&O we tend to go when they have Indian or Asian themed buffets which we enjoy, and in our experience it is nothing like you describe.  The buffet is set up with place mats, cutlery and napkins on all the tables, and we experience very little queuing and no loutish behaviour, our most recent cruise was on RCI's Independence and that was equally as enjoyable.  We do however collect our normal 3 courses separately, which allows us to take our time and enjoy a leisurely meal, but we do seem to be in the minority in this aspect.  It may be that our ex Southampton cruises normally of at least 14 nights and generally in term time, do have an older and maybe more genteel passenger profile, but in truth we rarely see any horrendous behaviour from our fellow passengers.

• Like 1

Yes. I have an incredibly fussy 19 year old daughter (don't ask me how that happened. her sister eats anything). We explained this to our waiter and she usually looks at the menus the day before and picks what she fancies. They are always happy to substitute chips (chunky ones or fries, whichever she wants). They will change any vegetables which she turns her nose up at. She also has the option of choosing items that she likes the sound of from the lunch menu and have them served in the evening. I am sure that they would "scale up" items from the children's menu for you. We have always found the restaurant staff incredibly accommodating. Thankfully she does not expect similar service at home because it simply won't happen!

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We do eat in the buffet for dinner occasionally, on P&O we tend to go when they have Indian or Asian themed buffets which we enjoy, and in our experience it is nothing like you describe.  The buffet is set up with place mats, cutlery and napkins on all the tables, and we experience very little queuing and no loutish behaviour, our most recent cruise was on RCI's Independence and that was equally as enjoyable.  We do however collect our normal 3 courses separately, which allows us to take our time and enjoy a leisurely meal, but we do seem to be in the minority in this aspect.  It may be that our ex Southampton cruises normally of at least 14 nights and generally in term time, do have an older and maybe more genteel passenger profile, but in truth we rarely see any horrendous behaviour from our fellow passengers.

Perhaps we've been unlucky, but I've seen appalling behaviour by people who are anything but 'genteel' and had to apologise for the bad behaviour of fellow Brits. Iceland was not too bad (a few years ago, before P&O went really downmarket), but trips to the Canaries (12 days or so, term time) have not been good. Genteel is not a description I'd link with P&O these days!

We have always found that the MDR staff will do all they can to give you a meal you enjoy. You can ask to see the menu the night before and choose something or ask for any combination.

You can mix and match items in the menu. On this year's cruise our eldest child had a bacon cheeseburger and chips almost every night, it wasn't on the menu every night but the waiters were happy to get it. I often have an item that is a starter doubled up for a main course.

32 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Our last cruise was a mini on Independence of the seas end Aug, buffet was so busy they kept announcing "when you have finished eating can you leave so someone else can use your table please" never had that on PO.

Breakfast on P.O. In June on Azure was manic in the buffet. I don't mind dining in the buffet but just fine mdr. All much more relaxing experience we do freedom, always got a table ok for our size party. Staff everywhere were fantastic.

33 minutes ago, Tikka234 said:

Our last cruise was a mini on Independence of the seas end Aug, buffet was so busy they kept announcing "when you have finished eating can you leave so someone else can use your table please" never had that on PO.

Breakfast on P.O. In June on Azure was manic in the buffet. I don't mind dining in the buffet but just fine mdr. All much more relaxing experience we do freedom, always got a table ok for our size party. Staff everywhere were fantastic.

I was specifically talking about evening dinner in the buffet, I agree that breakfast and lunch can be very busy and yes RCI do play that recording all the time at very busy periods, I assume its really meant for those passengers who come in just for a coffee and then linger for ages.

Would it be worth speaking to the restaurant manager after the first night ,explain about your husbands tastes and see what he suggests.If the option is steak, chocolate cake, steak chocolate cake for 14 nights ,they may be happy to do that for him. whether his heart will be happy with the choices is highly debatable. Does he have a similar diet at home. is there nothing on the menu that is similar in some way to what he eats at home.

I'm not trying to be awkward but if a cruise line catered for one individual's tastes in the MDR (going off menu) surely it would set them a precedence. I.e. catering for anyone / everyone who had a special taste / likes / dislikes. I can't see that it would work and to be honest,  is it fair?

Disabilities is one thing, just being a fussy eater to  me should not mean that they cater for that individual's taste.

To the OP I am sorry to sound negative but there are some nights when I have thought that I was not blown away with the choice but have made the most of it and picked 'something'. We've also done the buffet if not too impressed.

On another note - there is also the Beach House where there are great choices to fit what your hubby likes. Give it a go

• Like 1

According to the P and O website the following food is always available for children ... I don’t see why an adult wouldn’t be able to request it too ... hopefully there is some food here that will work for your OH:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/example_menu

Beef Burger in Buns Pizza Margherita (V) Mini Minced Beef And Onion Pasty
Spaghetti Bolognaise French Fries  
Chicken Nuggets Fresh Vegetables of the Day Selection of Ice Creams with Sweet Sauces
Grilled Chicken Breast Grilled Stir Fried Vegetables Sorbet of the Day
Poached Salmon Mashed Potato Fruit Jellies
Pork Sausages Potato Smiley Faces Cupcake
Fish Fingers French Fries Creamed Corn
Pasta with Tomato Sauce Spaghetti Hoops Chocolate Cookies
Beef Burger Garden Peas Chocolate Brownies
Hot Dog Carrots  
Fried Egg, Cheese and Tomato Omelette/Plain Omelette  

On 9/28/2019 at 9:08 AM, Tikka234 said:

Where going on brittannia, I may tell him to have a burger before we go into the restaurant . One night before he went to the buffet with my son whilst I went mdr  with the rest of our group

I think you would be better off trying the MDR then falling back on the buffet at the end of the meal if necessary.  This has worked well with my daughter for years.  Check out the main menu, ask for the kids menu if nothing is suitable on the main menu.  Ask for whatever is on kids menu and say he's a big lad so needs a good size one.  Then add "They don't have a couple of fried eggs do they?" If you see steak or something on main menu say can I have a steak with the nuggets and chips etc. whatever, just combine in what you want .See what happens.

Regards John 

Edited by john watson

Thanks for all your replies sound like he will be able to have kids menu . At home I often have to do 2 different meals, he'll have roast,( no veg except peas) stew , cottage pie, nothing with any sauces, spice, 

I feel more confident he will eat a few things there, or he can go to the buffet after we will use the buffet as well .

Thanks again

20 minutes ago, Tikka234 said:

Thanks for all your replies sound like he will be able to have kids menu . At home I often have to do 2 different meals, he'll have roast,( no veg except peas) stew , cottage pie, nothing with any sauces, spice, 

I feel more confident he will eat a few things there, or he can go to the buffet after we will use the buffet as well .

Thanks again

There is often a roast on the mdr menu, they like their pork and its usually very nice. 

The nice thing is that the menus are posted outside the restaurants all day, so he has all day to decide. 

Have a fantastic time, 

Andy

There is Roast of the Day  and “From the Grill” - every day

https://carnivaluk.metafaq.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/PO_MDR_DinnerMenus.pdf

There is no problem requesting a bowl of chips with your meal.

It seems a shame, to me, to go cruising but eat in ‘the caff’.  You must be very patient.  Moreso than me.

Bear in mind you only get 5 or 6 thick cut chips with the steak. The always available chicken is nice and just tell them to leave the garlic butter off. I once asked for the chicken with only peas for the veg but they didn't bring any chips or potatoes so also watch that.  

I think that fries are available on the late night buffet, I'm sure there is someone who can confirm that. We usually go up for a cuppa but not food.

Years ago,I used to organise very formal black tie functions at my club.One member said his son only eats Alphabetti spaghetti.I said no problem,shall I put him down as Master ------ on the table plan.He said,oh no you can put him down as Mr,he is 28.

• Like 2