DISGUSTED with MSC Special Services !

Shippy

Will be on the Seaside in 2 weeks. We are staying in the Yacht Club Royal Suite.....not that it should matter.

i emailed their special services department...just as I do on other cruiselines....explaining that my husband has had significant sinus surgeries and must use a medicated rinse daily.

He has the medication but needs distilled water to mix it with. Normally by doing this kind of email, A gallon jug will be waiting in our cabin when we arrive.

I was shocked to read their reply that said they do not have enough of that for everyone who asks and that we should bring our own. They also said to be sure the cap has not been opened before so they will not take it away when boarding !

Do they also do that for CPAP users !

I am willing to PAY for it just to not have to lug it onboard !

I asked (via their form) for distilled water and an extension cord for my CPAP machine last December on the Seaside. I got the same response that you did; "bring your own". I was not going to mess with bringing my own distilled water, but did take an extension cord. 

As soon as we boarded, and met our room's butler, he already had the request in his files and brought me both in an hour or two. Odd that they allow passengers to bring their own extension cords; most lines will grab them when going through security. (Although I have carried my own through both Celebrity and Princess' security and they never said a word (I brought the extension cord from home incase I needed it for my pre-cruise hotel, never planned on using it on board). Packed in luggage may have been a problem???)

• Like 1

I was told the same thing (filled out medical form for my husbands CPAP).  Going on Meraviglia next month.  First cruise line to ever say they won’t provide distilled water and we need to carry a gallon jug with us.

i am willing to pay for it but they won’t provide.   It makes no sense, they stock endless supplies of still and sparkling water, sodas, juices, alcohol etc and can’t stock distilled water for medical purposes.

Edited by smile145

Is this another example of a disconnect between MSC's practices and the N American's expectations?  I'd like to hear from some Europeans to see if they are as surprised and appalled  by this as we N American's are.  It's pretty unbelievable to me.

• Like 1

I think if you are accustomed to getting distilled water on other lines, it would be a disappointment that MSC does not operate in the same way. Not sure it's a European vs North American thing though - surely just one line's policy is out of step with that of a lot of other lines, who happen to be American?

To have an 'expectation' of distilled water is just based on experience to date with other lines who do offer it.

Although arguably things like gluten-free food are a 'special service' for medical reasons that all cruise lines manage to comply with - should distilled water be any different? I don't know.

• Like 2

I have no knowledge of the use of a CPAP machine, or how much water would be required for a one-week cruise. However, since a jug of distilled water is not only cumbersome but not always readily available, it seems to me that asking guests  - particularly those arriving by air - to make a detour in order to secure needed supplies does not project a  positive customer service attitude.

Since items like cough and pain medication, feminine hygiene supplies, etc. are sold in the tuck shop (at least on some cruise lines),  would it not be possible to also stock a product for which there seems to be a need in order to make it easier for passengers to buy it once onboard?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Is this another example of a disconnect between MSC's practices and the N American's expectations?  I'd like to hear from some Europeans to see if they are as surprised and appalled  by this as we N American's are.  It's pretty unbelievable to me.

They gave the OP a solution for their problem. Which is the same for everyone else who needs something. If it is important bring it yourself.

When traveling you have always the choice to not bring stuff you need (extension cords, adapters, toiletries, ...) and most of the time you can get that for free from the hotel or cruise ship. But if they run out of it or don't have it at all it is your personal risk.

I guess if you ask for it after boarding you probably get it. But they won't take the liability and promise that in writing. Absolutely okay I think. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, daisy-mae said:

I have no knowledge of the use of a CPAP machine, or how much water would be required for a one-week cruise. However, since a jug of distilled water is not only cumbersome but not always readily available, it seems to me that asking guests  - particularly those arriving by air - to make a detour in order to secure needed supplies does not project a  positive customer service attitude.

Since items like cough and pain medication, feminine hygiene supplies, etc. are sold in the tuck shop (at least on some cruise lines),  would it not be possible to also stock a product for which there seems to be a need in order to make it easier for passengers to buy it once onboard?

Love your reply. We are older and it is awkward  for us to carry water along with our other things when we board. I would gladly buy it from them if available.

Only reason I originally brought this up was my surprise at their answer. NEVER had it questioned by any other cruiseline,  that is why I just assumed there would be no problem if you went through their special service department.

• Like 1

MSC isn't  "any other cruise line".  Why would anyone assume that, because things are done on a certain cruiseline, it should be consistent across all cruise lines?  I would never assume that, because one hotel chain offers a certain service, all hotel chains will do the same - the same applies for cruise lines.  If I have a specific need, I would check that it can be met before booking.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Shippy said:

Only reason I originally brought this up was my surprise at their answer. NEVER had it questioned by any other cruiseline,  that is why I just assumed there would be no problem if you went through their special service department.

Having just returned from our first MSC cruise, I can say that in some respects, MSC is not like many other cruise lines.

2 hours ago, sidari said:

Would land based hotels supply the water ? Not sure they would in Europe. I guess it would help if MSC did have it but to expect it as a right I think is going too far.

Land based hotels do not need to provide it as you can walk next door and buy it at a store.  You can’t buy it in any store on the ship, so cruise lines normally provide it for free.  However as I said I would be more than willing to pay them for it but they say no.  Gallon jugs of water cannot be brought on a plane.  This makes it very difficult for people to obtain it when flying in and heading to a cruise terminal.  Not to mention if you do bring it, carrying a gallon jug around the cruise terminal with your luggage is not going to be fun.  There is absolutely no comparison to a land based hotel.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smile145 said:

Land based hotels do not need to provide it as you can walk next door and buy it at a store.  You can’t buy it in any store on the ship, so cruise lines normally provide it for free.  However as I said I would be more than willing to pay them for it but they say no.  Gallon jugs of water cannot be brought on a plane.  This makes it very difficult for people to obtain it when flying in and heading to a cruise terminal.  Not to mention if you do bring it, carrying a gallon jug around the cruise terminal with your luggage is not going to be fun.  There is absolutely no comparison to a land based hotel.

I did not say there was a comparison, I was asking if land based hotels did so.

I find it interesting that people expect an Italian family owned company to be the same as US owned cruise lines!

• Like 3

The onus is on the person requiring special needs to ensure that they can be supplied.

I agree with@Beamafar and others on this. To expect a cruise line (indeed, EVERY cruise line) to be able to cater to every possible medical condition that any passenger might have & be incensed when they don’t, is a bit too much for me. If you have a condition, the onus is on you to bring your own supplies. And having sailed out of POM several times, I know it’s not difficult to stop at a pharmacy or supermarket and pick up distilled water. They sell
it at CVS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 7

SHOCKED to find they want us to bring a gal of distilled water and extension cord.

Every other cruise line insists on supplying the extension cord ---and there is never a charge for distilled water

It is a freaking $1 at most-- and NOT a cost issue for a cruise line---THIS is flat out bad customer service.

Ships routinely provide sharps containers for people who use syringes. Are they going to require that for those pax?

Edited by Fogfog
  • Like 2

Once again I'm going to disagree with some of the MSC loyalists. This is yet another example of really bad customer service. MSC has admitted that there is a high demand for this product, and instead of meeting the needs of their guests, they have stated that because there is such a high need, guests must fend for themselves? Ridiculous IMO.

I also believe that being in a Royal Suite should matter in this circumstance. Anytime we have traveled where a butler is involved, they contact us a few weeks ahead of time to ask what we may need to ensure that it's ready and waiting. These are ROYAL SUITE guests and they are being told to carry on water needed for medical reasons? Absurd. Of course, even bella guests should be supplied proper water for medical reasons. What are we talking about $1? $2? The onus might be on the consumer if the item was high ticket or a rare request. But in this case it's neither. 

I'd also like to comment that requesting guests bring their own extension cords while other lines strictly prohibit for fire reasons seems a bit odd to me. If I'm not mistaken, the reason lines don't want extension cords is that cabins are equipped with different wattage outlets and this is a key element in extension cord fires. https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/5032.pdf

When people ask how MSC is different than other lines, this is an example. It's not at all about the water (or lack of it), It's about MSC approach to customer service. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, sidari said:

Would land based hotels supply the water ? Not sure they would in Europe. I guess it would help if MSC did have it but to expect it as a right I think is going too far.

I believe that land based hotels would provide the water upon request, especially for guests booking a week in ROYAL SUITE. 

I wouldn't consider getting the water a "right" or even an expectation.  But I do consider lack of it once requested is extremely poor customer service.

Once again I'm going to disagree with some of the MSC loyalists. This is yet another example of really bad customer service. MSC has admitted that there is a high demand for this product, and instead of meeting the needs of their guests, they have stated that because there is such a high need, guests must fend for themselves? Ridiculous IMO.

I also believe that being in a Royal Suite should matter in this circumstance. Anytime we have traveled where a butler is involved, they contact us a few weeks ahead of time to ask what we may need to ensure that it's ready and waiting. These are ROYAL SUITE guests and they are being told to carry on water needed for medical reasons? Absurd. Of course, even bella guests should be supplied proper water for medical reasons. What are we talking about $1? $2? The onus might be on the consumer if the item was high ticket or a rare request. But in this case it's neither. 

I'd also like to comment that requesting guests bring their own extension cords while other lines strictly prohibit for fire reasons seems a bit odd to me. If I'm not mistaken, the reason lines don't want extension cords is that cabins are equipped with different wattage outlets and this is a key element in extension cord fires. https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/5032.pdf

When people ask how MSC is different than other lines, this is an example. It's not at all about the water (or lack of it), It's about MSC approach to customer service. 

I’m guessing that anyone with the funds to pay for a Royal Suite can afford the $1-2 for distilled water. Just my opinion. (and I’m not an “MSC loyalist,” as you call it)

• Like 1

I don't believe the cost is the issue, it is the availability on board.  I don't think anyone relishes the idea of schlepping a gallon of water along with everything else one is taking with them on their trip.  It is not only heavy, but unwieldy.  I don't think it is an unreasonable request to have it available for purchase on board.  I don't use a CPAP myself, but have friends that do.  It is usually an item requested in advance on ships sailing out of US ports.  Perhaps this is not the standard in other countries.  They are only asking it be available, not that it is without cost.  If MSC really wants to compete for the US passenger sailing out of US ports, these are the things they should adjust.  Little things and conveniences make a difference.  I don't think this is an entitlement issue, just one of customer service, or lack thereof.  

Edited by QueenofEverything
  • Like 7

I don't believe the cost is the issue, it is the availability on board.  I don't think anyone relishes the idea of schlepping a gallon of water along with everything else one is taking with them on their trip.  It is not only heavy, but unwieldy.  I don't think it is an unreasonable request to have it available for purchase on board.  I don't use a CPAP myself, but have friends that do.  It is usually an item requested in advance on ships sailing out of US ports.  Perhaps this is not the standard in other countries.  They are only asking it be available, not that it is without cost.  If MSC really wants to compete for the US passenger sailing out of US ports, these are the things they should adjust.  Little things and conveniences make a difference.  I don't think this is an entitlement issue, just one of customer service, or lack thereof.  

Well, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and I can see your point. I just disagree with it. Many passengers onboard cruise ships have any number of medical issues to deal with, and I think (just my opinion, of course) that it is unreasonable to expect them to foresee every eventuality and have supplies on the ship to deal with them. It’s not as if distilled water were the only thing. As a frequent reader of posts on cruise critic, I have heard of people
expecting them to supply (for free, in many cases)
1. Epipens
2. Curling irons
3. CPAP machines
4. Glucose meters
5. Diapers
6. All manner of painkillers and prescription medicines
7. Extension cords
And other things that escape me at 11:53 pm.
My point is that there has to be a reasonable limit on what cruise lines can be expected to have on hand and still keep pricing reasonable. Royal Suite or not, I feel it’s not MSC’s job to fully stock every possible piece of medical equipment or jug of water. If you need it, bring your own. A friendly word with the butler may well get the OP what he/she needs. Writing on Cruise Critic about being disgusted and trashing the company, likely won’t. Just my opinion.

21 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I’m guessing that anyone with the funds to pay for a Royal Suite can afford the $1-2 for distilled water. Just my opinion. (and I’m not an “MSC loyalist,” as you call it)

Providing a service has nothing to do with whether or not the guest can afford to Buy it on their own. The point here is that MSc is FORCING guests (in a royal suite no less) to carry on distilled water. This is inconvenient at best - for many it may prove significantly difficult.

In the very least, the required water should be available for purchase once onboard (after all, MSC has said this item is often requested). Making the water available (whether free or not) would be an example of providing a needed “service”. 

I don’t mean to offend by the term loyalist.

• Like 1