Bottled Water near the San Diego Cruiseport??

willcruiseanythyme

Hi,

Can someone tell me where the cheapest place to buy some bottled water to bring onboard our cruise near the San Diego cruise port would be?  We are staying at the downtown Best Western too so if there is something close to that, that would be fine too.  Please don't tell me to buy the package offered onboard.  6 bottles for $24 would cost way more than I am willing to pay. I only drink water and sometimes iced tea - so this is a necessity. Thank you.

You could look on Google Maps and see what is close. Or you could read down the board, and there is reference to a Ralphs that is relatively close. Also a CVS, IIRC.

Or, you could just drink the water on board, only taking on a refillable bottle or two per person. The water on board is very pure. The ice on board is made with the water, and any food prep requiring water uses this same water. The water on board tastes great, is FREE, and doesn't come with a plastic waste problem.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the Rite Aid is the closest and has the liter bottles.  Be sure to take your suitcase there or get dropped off by taxi or hop off the bus because then you have wheels to carry the load of your water.  Lots to do here, the 2 submarine tours, sailboat tours, the USS Midway tour.

Never drink the water on the ship, it is reverse osmosis and desalinated and the harmful effects add up and take their toll.  RO leaves several nasty chemicals in the water.  Just ask any crew member and they will tell you how much they hate the water.  Always bring an extra case for crew members, they will love you for your thoughtfulness, it is something they can't afford to buy.  

10 minutes ago, *Flipper123 said:

Never drink the water on the ship, it is reverse osmosis and desalinated and the harmful effects add up and take their toll.  RO leaves several nasty chemicals in the water.  Just ask any crew member and they will tell you how much they hate the water.  Always bring an extra case for crew members, they will love you for your thoughtfulness, it is something they can't afford to buy.  

Hmmm...any science to this? I can't find any. Desalination has been pretty much the only way to produce water on ships for probably over 100 years now.  Some countries produce near 100% of their drinking water through desalination. Been on many a cruise. Never heard any crew member complain about the water.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, *Flipper123 said:

We have been on dozens of cruises and have never suffered any ill effects, nor heard any crew member complain about the water. If YOU don't want to drink the water, that's fine with me, but please don't make a sweeping generalization and tell others what to do or not do on a cruise which is probably no more than a few weeks a year, if that.

Edited by Langley Cruisers
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2019 at 8:13 AM, *Flipper123 said:

I really wonder about why this user posted this claim.

Edited by scottbee