Reduced Captain Circle benefit on Golden Princess

isisdave

14 minutes ago, Pstcrik said:

Everywhere you go these days you have to be aware of stupid government interactions where people just want to enjoy themselves.  In lots of the U.S. Ports local governments like to get in on the action by charging their special tax on liquor sold while you are in port or where they decide is close to their shore.  Everyone wants to be rewarded with your money.

For information the taxes you refer to are local and State sales taxes. These are not only for ships in port, but also for sales of the same beverages and other taxable items within the local city and State. They are not special taxes on liquor. You will also notice similar charges on beverages and other items purchased at Princess Cays where Bahama's VAT is added to the sales price. There are other examples.

15 hours ago, mildly_satanic said:

I was hoping for that, but no voucher this time, in person or in cabin.  This was 3-days on the Royal Princess.

I don’t know how much has changed, but I got vouchers the last 2 cruises 4-5 years ago.  One was 10 days and one was 5 days.

I just did 3 days on Royal Princess and got a free drink voucher. I gave it away, along with the free mini bar, to the wonderful Matt O and his staff. I had the drink package so no need for it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I just did 3 days on Royal Princess and got a free drink voucher. I gave it away, along with the free mini bar, to the wonderful Matt O and his staff. I had the drink package so no need for it.

Hmm, I wonder if they changed the qualification criteria.  We are Ruby status only.  

I didn’t think to check with anyone because I just assumed they got rid of the perk.  Good to know for next time!

On 9/29/2019 at 6:12 AM, steelers36 said:

I am embarrassed for my country with this ridiculous action.  Although it is a provincial jurisdiction that being British Colombia in this case.  Our liquor laws can be quite antiquated at times.  I wonder how they knew to even come on board to do this unless they always come to check what is going on.

Don't be embarrassed!  Try sailing out of Galveston.  Only Texas-taxed bottles can be used until 3 miles out.  And if you are Elite and happen to have mini bottles left over they will try to tax you $3.25 for each bottle even if you are heading directly to the airport.  Texas tax is $3.00 per bottle plus an amount per ounce of alcohol.  That's embarrassing!

For the OP, think we have seen a coupon on one short repositioning cruise out of nearly 30 cruises and 15 years.  Only free drinks are at Captain's Circle parties and the paint remover on the first formal night.  Even the waiters agreed that the stuff poured on the fountain is better than the stuff they serve.

On 9/29/2019 at 6:12 AM, steelers36 said:

I am embarrassed for my country with this ridiculous action.  Although it is a provincial jurisdiction that being British Colombia in this case.  Our liquor laws can be quite antiquated at times.  I wonder how they knew to even come on board to do this unless they always come to check what is going on.

Don't be embarrassed!  Try sailing out of Galveston.  Only Texas-taxed bottles can be used until 3 miles out.  And if you are Elite and happen to have mini bottles left over they will try to tax you $3.25 for each bottle even if you are heading directly to the airport.  Texas tax is $3.00 per bottle plus an amount per ounce of alcohol.  That's embarrassing!

For the OP, think we have seen a coupon on one short repositioning cruise out of nearly 30 cruises and 15 years.  Only free drinks are at Captain's Circle parties and the paint remover on the first formal night.  Even the waiters agreed that the stuff poured on the fountain is better than the stuff they serve.

On 9/28/2019 at 5:12 PM, isisdave said:

Last trip on Princess for us. Unless of course Celebrity, RCI, and HAL do the same. Another silly thing to have to check before booking.

More cabin availability for me! As Capitan Tuvo would say "Bye - bye".

2 hours ago, LeeW said:

Okay, but taxes are one thing and only allowing one bar per deck to be open seems rather petulant or treating adults like children.  But you can win on the tax pettiness.  I wouldn't bring the bottles to give them the satisfaction.  LOL.

I assume that many realize that VAT tax is charged on quite a few European cruises ( primarily those that only visit EU ports).  FL sales tax is also charged on cruises that are still within FL waters.  

Hank

DD and I received the drink tickets on a 3 day on the Star in May (I was platinum and she was gold). DH and I got them on the Royal 3 day in Sept (both platinum). In-laws on the Royal with us did not get them (she is ruby and he is gold). Did not get them last Sept on the Star (gold and ruby).  Seems to be a pattern.

On the Royal, the day we didn't leave Canada Place on time, the bar in Club 6 was closed, and the poor servers had to go to another bar to get the drinks for the P/E/S reception. The food was good though!