When to buy onboard amenities

faerievert

I'm putting off buying anything that isn't at a discount for pre-purchase until onboard. That way we can pay for it at late as possible. We're on the Koningsdam Dec 4-22. It's a b2b "collector's" itinerary. If it makes a difference, this will be our first sailing as 3* Mariners. 

C9Y18A.jpg.d7bbdf88b812bbca1dd21ffca6a787a4.jpg

These are things I'm looking at but it's very unclear if they have a pre-purchase discount or not, or if any mariner discounts are included / would apply if purchased online:

1. Thermal Suite Couples 11-Day Pass $339
    • Sub-question: Would we be allowed to buy a full 18-day spa pass if we buy onboard? or will they act like we're crazy for asking?)
  2. All-inclusive photo package $249.99
  3. Unlimited Laundry 18 days $126.00
  4. Premium Internet 18 days $223.99
  5. Wine package (6-bottle list #1 $194.35 or 8-bottle list #1 $251.85)
  6. Pinnacle Package 2 dinners $70

Does anyone know which, if any, of these would be advantageous to buy ahead to lock in a discount? How close to the sailing date can you still buy them online for the discount?

I assume it has to cutoff at least a day before sailing and more likely a week or maybe even more. I don't want to wait too long and miss out on any discounts. But for budgeting purposes I'd like to at least wait until after my credit card statement cycle date on Nov 17 if I can. We're temporarily having to watch our budget and spread costs a lot more than usual. 

C9Y18A.jpg

3 hours ago, faerievert said:

These are things I'm looking at but it's very unclear if they have a pre-purchase discount or not, or if any mariner discounts are included / would apply if purchased online:

1. Thermal Suite Couples 11-Day Pass $339
    • Sub-question: Would we be allowed to buy a full 18-day spa pass if we buy onboard? or will they act like we're crazy for asking?)

No discount for 3* Mariners.  It used to be that people got the best rate on embarkation day but now, people are reporting that the on line rate is better.

If you are doing a B2B (two booking #’s) then the 11 day pass will be for sale.  You can ask about the 18, but if there’s no collectors’ cruise (1 booking) I doubt it will be offered.

1. All-inclusive photo package $249.99
  2. Unlimited Laundry 18 days $126.00

No 3* Mariner discount on these so it makes no difference when you buy them.

1. Premium Internet 18 days $223.99

The premium internet is offered at a discount if you pre-book it so I would buy that on line before you sail.

1. Wine package (6-bottle list #1 $194.35 or 8-bottle list #1 $251.85)

25% discount no matter how you buy it.  If you buy it online, you’ll be charged full price and then receive the OBC on board.  On board you’ll be charged 75% of the price (+ full cost of beverage service charge of course).  I prefer to buy these on board to see the offereings and give credit to the staff there.

1. Pinnacle Package 2 dinners $70

Does anyone know which, if any, of these would be advantageous to buy ahead to lock in a discount? How close to the sailing date can you still buy them online for the discount?

I outlined that above.  Technically you can order up to 3 (I think) days before you cruise however, I wouldn’t leave it that long.  I’d do it sooner rather than later.  

The internet may have a finite number of offerings (no one knows - the discount is new) and the longer you wait to book your PG dinners, the fewer choices there will be.  

Jacuqi - Do you have personal experience with receiving the Mariner discount on the Pinnacle Dinner package?  I would love this to be true but I read the Mariner discount is not applicable to packages so I assumed this would be the case for the Pinnacle dinner package.  Instead I pre- purchased one evening, and would gladly purchase the package if I could receive my 3 star discount.  The package plus discount is a better deal because the price has risen to $39pp.  Thank you!!

8 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Jacuqi - Do you have personal experience with receiving the Mariner discount on the Pinnacle Dinner package?  I would love this to be true but I read the Mariner discount is not applicable to packages so I assumed this would be the case for the Pinnacle dinner package.  Instead I pre- purchased one evening, and would gladly purchase the package if I could receive my 3 star discount.  The package plus discount is a better deal because the price has risen to $39pp.  Thank you!!

Oops - I missed the word package in the OP’s question.  I thought they were talking about regular PG dinners. The price they were quoting was for a PG dinner for 2.   I’ll have to go and correct.

No, you don’t get the discount on the package, just on the PG dinner.  I hadn’t seen it called a PG package before.  My apologies.

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Oops - I missed the word package in the OP’s question.  I thought they were talking about regular PG dinners.  I’ll have to go and correct.

No, you don’t get the discount on the package, just on the PG dinner.  I hadn’t seen it called a PG package before.  My apologies.

I just double checked and on my planner it does refer to the 2 dinners as Pinnacle Package(unfortunately!).

Thank you!

1 minute ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Even though we know we won't get our discount for the regular Pinnacle dinners until we get on the ship, we prefer to book as soon as possible on line so that we get the day and time we want.

Are you saying you have purchased the 2 dinner Pinnacle Package at $70pp and received the discount?  I am happy to wait until onboard to receive the obc.  As 3 star it is 25% for me.  I only booked the one night and not the 2 dinner PP because I was not sure I would receive the discount while on board.  It does specifically say discount not applicable to packages.

1 minute ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Are you saying you have purchased the 2 dinner Pinnacle Package at $70pp and received the discount?  I am happy to wait until onboard to receive the obc.  As 3 star it is 25% for me.  I only booked the one night and not the 2 dinner PP because I was not sure I would receive the discount while on board.  It does specifically say discount not applicable to packages.

KK is definitely referring to just regular dinners, not packages.  The PG package wasn’t available when she last sailed, I don’t think.

The discount is NOT available for any of the packages IME.  

I don’t get what the ‘deal’ is on the package if it is the same price as the PG?  Or did the PG go up again and I missed it?  OP quoted $70 which is $35 pp per meal.  If that’s the case I’d just book the separate dinners. Unless the package offered a better discount than the Mariner status and choice of evening or time was not a big concern.

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

KK is definitely referring to just regular dinners, not packages.  The PG package wasn’t available when she last sailed, I don’t think.

The discount is NOT available for any of the packages IME.  

I don’t get what the ‘deal’ is on the package if it is the same price as the PG?  Or did the PG go up again and I missed it?  OP quoted $70 which is $35 pp per meal.  If that’s the case I’d just book the separate dinners. Unless the package offered a better discount than the Mariner status and choice of evening or time was not a big concern.

Within the past 2 months or so they raised the price to $39pp.  I had the dinner in my basket at $35pp but didn't act fast enough, lol.

4 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Within the past 2 months or so they raised the price to $39pp.  I had the dinner in my basket at $35pp but didn't act fast enough, lol.

Oh that’s right. Not enough coffee, yet I gues 😉   Thanks  🙂 

18 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

We don't buy the dinner packages.  We get 50% off as 5 star Mariners which is a better deal for us.  Plus we don't care for the Canaletto.  Notice that I said "REGULAR" dinners at the Pinnacle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

We don't buy the dinner packages.  We get 50% off as 5 star Mariners which is a better deal for us.  Plus we don't care for the Canaletto.  Notice that I said "REGULAR" dinners at the Pinnacle.

My mistake.  In addition to the PG and Caneletto package for $50pp  they are now offering a package for 2 Pinnacle Grill dinners for $70pp.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kazu said:

If you are doing a B2B (two booking #’s) then the 11 day pass will be for sale.  You can ask about the 18, but if there’s no collectors’ cruise (1 booking) I doubt it will be offered.

We only have 1 booking number. I wasn't sure the correct jargon... looks like collector's is the right word. All the other per-day items are letting me purchase for the full 18 days, but for some reason the spa only shows 11. Very annoying. 

Is is normal to have to buy the thermal spa in two separate chunks even though we're on a single "collector's" itinerary? I don't want to waste my time trying to get a combined pass if that's simply not done. 

Do not forget the issue of "onboard credit".  If you have HAL issued OBC you need to spend it onboard.  Some people end up with alot of OBC due to booking promotions, stockholder credit, future cruise deposits, etc, so this can be an issue.

On 9/30/2019 at 10:32 AM, canadarocks said:

Two Pinnacle Grill dinners with the 3* Mariner 25% discount will cost you $58.50. The package is $70.00 and there's no Mariner discount. So don't get the dining packages. 🙂 

You are so right!  We learned the hard way on our 24 day collector cruise back in 2013! 

We were 3 star than. We are 4 star now and we just make reservations on the ship. Ow!

Denise😊😊