OTC meds available onboard

kcl57

Does the medical department have OTC medications available?  On RCL LOS there were vending machines with little packets ibuprofen, allergy medication, acetominophen and the like at a reasonable price, with a bin of anti nausea medication, complimentary.

Does Norwegian have anything like that? 

Thank you! 

I've never seen that type of  vending machine on any of the NCL ships I've been on but they do sell some OTC medications in the shops.  Prices are high though, similar to what you'd find in a hotel gift shop, so we always take anything we think we might need with us when traveling.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kcl57 said:

Does the medical department have OTC medications available?  On RCL LOS there were vending machines with little packets ibuprofen, allergy medication, acetominophen and the like at a reasonable price, with a bin of anti nausea medication, complimentary.

Thank you! 

Yes, they have vending machines. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

The machines are normally down near the health center. At least that is where I have seen them, plus they sell small containers of some meds in the gift shops. 

On the DAWN deck 4 port side across from the Medical Center are such machines.

But in all truthfulness - bring your own OTC meds for what might possible ail you - the prices for these

in the gift shops is well I can't say anything nice about that. Also if your cruise is making a port stop where

there is a Wal*Mart Target similar stores you can get your meds there much cheaper but will have to wait

out getting relief till then. For passing customs inspections in picky foreign countries leave the OTC drugs

in their original wrapped labeled container/package.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

On the DAWN deck 4 port side across from the Medical Center are such machines.

But in all truthfulness - bring your own OTC meds for what might possible ail you - the prices for these

in the gift shops is well I can't say anything nice about that. Also if your cruise is making a port stop where

there is a Wal*Mart Target similar stores you can get your meds there much cheaper but will have to wait

out getting relief till then. For passing customs inspections in picky foreign countries leave the OTC drugs

in their original wrapped labeled container/package.   

I agree 100% with everything you are saying. Yes, on the Dawn is where we saw the machine In fact I had to get a couple of band aides  from the machine. One time though the nurse gave them to me free but not on the Dawn. I have seen the machines a couple of times near the medical center on other NCL ships.

The cost of OTC meds are out of line in the gift shop just like they are in a hotel gift shop. I always try to remember to take plenty with me, but sometimes there is no choice but to pay the price. 

• Like 2

So much better and so much cheaper to purchase over the counter medicines from home. Bring a small bag with aspirin, cold tablets, suntan lotion, etc. Most items sold in the gift shop are over double the price and there is normally limited selection of items available.

• Like 1

I think it may depend on the ship? Saw a vending type machine on the Spirit when I went by the medical center (in 2016) - but I did not see one on the Getaway (anywhere on the ship including by the medical center). The shops had meds to buy, but as a comparison - it was $18.99 for a bottle of Nyquil during my cruise this past July.   

• Like 1

And just to answer your question about anti nausea meds,  years ago on NCL you could get a bandaid or a pack of 2 pills at customer service desk...NO MORE.  And to add to what others say...bring anything and everything you think you would need...MUCH easier and cheaper !!!

Self-service OTC meds machines are located just outside/next to or near the ship's Medical Center (seen them on the Gem, Dawn & Escape ... don't recall if I saw them on the Breakaway) ... I also lookout for the presence of AED, usually just outside the entrance to the buffet (Garden Cafe) - highly visible, usually in a red case (and, I trust them to inspect the built-in battery on a regular basis)

Here's the one on the Escape ... gift shops carry a very limited (and, over-priced) selection of basic items.  We pack & restock ours - more variety to deal with most common "needs" & with our health plan's 24/7/365 Telemed consult - we can get an eScript written & send as needed for minor acute issues. 

IMG_20190109_150245138.jpg

IMG_20190108_120405181.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, realnurse2 said:

Much better to bring your own even if you don't have to use it-also bandaids,alcohol swabs and disinfectant cream.

Or find one of those small first aid kits at target for about $5, buy it or use it for reference to supplement what you might already have.  Band-aids, tylenol, tummy ache medicine, aloe, cold meds, bonine.  Really you get get most for about $10 total.  And you can use it another time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jaja said:

And just to answer your question about anti nausea meds,  years ago on NCL you could get a bandaid or a pack of 2 pills at customer service desk...NO MORE.  And to add to what others say...bring anything and everything you think you would need...MUCH easier and cheaper !!!

Yikes. when did they stop giving them out?  I've only been directed to the self service machine years ago on the Dawn.  The Last ten February's meclizine was available on the Gem at the front desk.

5 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Self-service OTC meds machines are located just outside/next to or near the ship's Medical Center (seen them on the Gem, Dawn & Escape ... don't recall if I saw them on the Breakaway) ... I also lookout for the presence of AED, usually just outside the entrance to the buffet (Garden Cafe) - highly visible, usually in a red case (and, I trust them to inspect the built-in battery on a regular basis)

Here's the one on the Escape ... gift shops carry a very limited (and, over-priced) selection of basic items.  We pack & restock ours - more variety to deal with most common "needs" & with our health plan's 24/7/365 Telemed consult - we can get an eScript written & send as needed for minor acute issues. 

IMG_20190109_150245138.jpg

IMG_20190108_120405181.jpg

Well...I never knew !!!!  Thanks..

15 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

if this info isnt in the cabin it definitely should be. they would make more sales if everyone knew about the self serve

I do not think it is necessary for them to post this info in the cabins. if someone needs an OTC med they will ask at the reception desk I think. 

23 hours ago, kcl57 said:

Thank you! 

This is a timely question since I got off Star from Venice on Sept 29 and my husband and I are still sick from the coughing bug we picked up that week. Many on ship were sick by the end. 

I brought everything I needed except for cough drops.   Found some logenzes in Argistoli Greece but they aren’t like Hall’s. Just honey drops.  Don’t forget the cough drops! 

Much better to bring your own than hoping it was available. The cruise crud (URI) was going around on a TP and many wanted Nyquil. Seems that some countries don't sell it (told to me by an Australian doctor) so some passengers depleted the supply and the space was empty. I always bring our own bag based on our medical histories.

Just a word of warning.  Do not buy a bottle of liquid NyQuil at port and try to bring it on the ship.  Or try with the knowledge it may not make it onboard.  I watched a guy argue with security last may trying to bring some on in Bermuda.  His wife was sick.  He was livid when security told him he couldn't bring it on, and it had to go in the naughty liquid bin.  I felt for the guy. 

We've packed it in our checked baggage at port with no problems. Buy it before you leave...

11 minutes ago, WickedRed said:

Just a word of warning.  Do not buy a bottle of liquid NyQuil at port and try to bring it on the ship.  Or try with the knowledge it may not make it onboard.  I watched a guy argue with security last may trying to bring some on in Bermuda.  His wife was sick.  He was livid when security told him he couldn't bring it on, and it had to go in the naughty liquid bin.  I felt for the guy. 

5 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

I do not think it is necessary for them to post this info in the cabins. if someone needs an OTC med they will ask at the reception desk I think. 

can you get the people with the art sale literature to keep their stuff at the front desk too? that stuff is so over the top and id think if someone was interested in art they know where to get it. id rather daily reminders where to buy drugs on the ship than all the art things

or in the manual in the cabin. those are always fun to look thru

6 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

I had no idea these vending machines existed.  The medical center is usually located in an area where passengers wouldn't be unless their cabins are on the same deck.  My first thought, if I needed something,  would be to go to the gift shop where everything is overpriced.  Maybe that's why they don't advertise that there's another option.

• Like 3