One way cruise from Miami to the Caribbean?

3 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

No, its not. You'd be fined.

Thanks. The reason I'm asking is -- during Dorian, passengers disembarked in Mexico and flew home. I'm assuming it was an exception because of Dorian?

And if I can elaborate further -- no matter where I'd like to stop in the Caribbean, or Mexico, or Columbia, or.... I absolutely have to complete the "loop"??

29 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Let say, for example, that I'd like to remain in Nassau and skip the return cruise to Miami. Is it legal/allowed? 

Yes, as long as you don't disembark at another US port, you are fine, though you need to get that approved ahead of time and pay a $65 fee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dani you can do that, you will need to prearrange this and you need to find your own transportation back.   However there are a few where you can sail to the Bahamas, stay a few days and then head back.  Two are basically ferries, and the other is an older cruise ship.  One is out of Miami ( goes only to Bimini), one out of Ft. Lauderdale and the other Palm Beach.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Normally this won't be allowed. During Dorian, exceptions were made for obvious reasons.

If you only want a one way to the Bahamas, look at Grand Bahamas Cruises. 

Perfectly legal, no fines, as long as it's not a US port.  As mentioned, the cruise line must know in advance and there may be an additional fee to be processed to enter the country, as opposed to being "in-transit".

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Thank you, appreciate the reply. I'm kind of "expert" in the Israeli forum cruises, and this question pops quite frequently. I wanted to have a "definite" answer.

15 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Perfectly legal, no fines, as long as it's not a US port.  As mentioned, the cruise line must know in advance and there may be an additional fee to be processed to enter the country, as opposed to being "in-transit".

Thanks, Bob. Apart from PR and St. Thomas (?), what are other "US ports" in the Caribbean? 

And, when you say "in advance", that means before the cruise?

2 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you, appreciate the reply. I'm kind of "expert" in the Israeli forum cruises, and this question pops quite frequently. I wanted to have a "definite" answer.

Thanks, Bob. Apart from PR and St. Thomas (?), what are other "US ports" in the Caribbean? 

Actually, PR and USVI are exempt from the PVSA. 

Partial cruise info:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/partial-cruise-request

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

Normally this won't be allowed. During Dorian, exceptions were made for obvious reasons.

Grand Bahamas normally only goes to  Freeport, not Nassau. Of course, that could change if or when things get back to normal over there.

Edited by mo&fran

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks. The reason I'm asking is -- during Dorian, passengers disembarked in Mexico and flew home. I'm assuming it was an exception because of Dorian?

And if I can elaborate further -- no matter where I'd like to stop in the Caribbean, or Mexico, or Columbia, or.... I absolutely have to complete the "loop"??

We were on Harmony during Dorian, and between our second and third stops in Cozumel, we had ~2,800 passengers depart the ship. There were probably a lot more that wanted to do the same thing, but didn't have passports. Mexican customs officers actually set up shop onboard to process everyone that intended to leave the ship. Have no idea how Cozumel's airport handled all that inflow...

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

You'll also need to know any requirements the island your disembarking on have if they are traveling on something other than a US passport. The islands don't require a visa for in-transit visiting on a cruise ship, but if you disembark there the requirements of entry would be the same as if you flew there. 

4 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

No, its not. You'd be fined.

Why? It is foreign port.

If it was Miami - Fort Lauderdale - Nassau - Miami and OP wanted to disembark in Fort Lauderdale then there would be a fine.

45 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

You'll also need to know any requirements the island your disembarking on have if they are traveling on something other than a US passport. The islands don't require a visa for in-transit visiting on a cruise ship, but if you disembark there the requirements of entry would be the same as if you flew there. 

Thank you.

Your detailed reply is much appreciated. All of us hold only Israeli passport, need visa for entering US.