Suggestion on what to do in La Coruna, Spain for the day??

We were in both A Coruna and Santiago de C this summer.  Links to some photos are below.

https://portugalandnspain.shutterfly.com/pictures/238

https://portugalandnspain.shutterfly.com/pictures/215

Certainly, if Santiago has religious significance for you it is a "no brainer".  A Coruna does have a beach option if that is your passion.  Even without the religious significance I would probably lean towards Santiago because of the history and architecture.

Sites such as whatsinport, cruisemapper and others have info on where you dock, what to do etc. Also go to RESEARCH at the top of the CC pages, choose DESTINATIONS from the dropdown and look for the same info on each port, although on CC not all ports are listed.

Your shorex give you some info even if you don't want to book any, also Tripadvisor, and local Tourist Info sites.

And best of all, when you are logged in,  use the SEARCH facility (and tick the THIS FORUM box) on each "country" board which brings up all other threads with that name in them. You can read through them for info without having to scroll through pages and pages looking for them.

Hope some of the above are useful.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2019 at 9:15 PM, mskaufman said:

Certainly, if Santiago has religious significance for you it is a "no brainer".  . .  Even without the religious significance I would probably lean towards Santiago because of the history and architecture.

Santiago does not have religious significance for me, but I very much enjoyed our visit there from A Coruña precisely for the reasons you said, and would definitely recommend going.  

• 2 years later...
On 11/12/2019 at 11:53 AM, Cobbie48 said:

Easy walk from port to town.  Good shopping. Lovely restaurants on main square. For 15 euros we took a taxi to the lighthouse, driver waited and returned us to taxi stand. Beautiful location on a bay.  Anxious to return. 

Can anyone tell me more about the lighthouse?  I'm very interested in Roman history and it was originally Roman-built (with many centuries of patching and addition of course). There are only a few Roman lighthouses still extant. 

Can you go inside the lighthouse or just see it from the outside?  How long did you stay while your taxi waited?

I realize this is an old post but am hoping someone else might chime in if not the OP.

(Just FYI, I am planning to do Santiago de Compostela from Vigo, so I will definitely have a chance to see it as well.)

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Can anyone tell me more about the lighthouse?  I'm very interested in Roman history and it was originally Roman-built (with many centuries of patching and addition of course). There are only a few Roman lighthouses still extant. 

Can you go inside the lighthouse or just see it from the outside?  How long did you stay while your taxi waited?

I realize this is an old post but am hoping someone else might chime in if not the OP.

(Just FYI, I am planning to do Santiago de Compostela from Vigo, so I will definitely have a chance to see it as well.)

The lighthouse is called the Tower of Hercules and it was built in the late 1st C AD in the Roman settlement of Brigantium.  The current exterior is from the 18th C.  It's the oldest working lighthouse in the world.  You used to be able to climb to the top and it was open daily.  Don't know what's happening now.  I think there was a small entry fee.  It's been a long while, but I think half an hour is plenty of time.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I visited A Coruna in July 2021, and went to the Tower of Hercules on a whim. I found out that tours inside the Tower (lighthouse) were already booked up. I'm not sure how to make an advance reservation but should be able to find out on the internet. I ended up doing a Segway tour https://www.eco-logicaespana.com/en/

which was great fun (small group). Highly recommend.