New Ship - New Feature Exclusive

6 minutes ago, pinkpanther52 said:

Not entirely new I think Virgin may be using this idea but how about “Food of the World”.

By that I mean rather than one main restaurant they have several smaller ones offering food from different parts of the world, Indian, Chinese, Brazilian etc included in the price not as extra pay venue.

And the could tie one in with the area they are sailing in.

The buffet can feature a different world dish service area and change everynight. But this is already done on various of other cruise lines.

A world buffet restaurant, now that is a good idea and can be a paid surcharge as well. But as Jimmy Buffet failed at this on the high street, the public doesn't want it, and they were cheap.

6 hours ago, sandramay said:

Please can we have laundries, Marella seem to be devoid of these on any ships.

Not a new idea and they would rather have you use laundry service. Alot safer and most cruisers don't use them as on holiday and don't want to do laundry. 

Some cruisers love it and pack light to use this. But making it safe and earning money, isn't going to add this to new ships. Sorry.

3 hours ago, GOQ said:

I quite like the Cinema on Explorer, it would be nice if they had a minibar in there where you might get a little drink before the film started, just like their theatre. Are any of the possible new ships likely to have a Explorer type cinema. 

If the cinema room is already on the ship, then it tends to stay.

Not a new feature, not even 4D new to ships.

2 minutes ago, SausPud said:

Not a new idea and they would rather have you use laundry service. Alot safer and most cruisers don't use them as on holiday and don't want to do laundry. 

Some cruisers love it and pack light to use this. But making it safe and earning money, isn't going to add this to new ships. Sorry.

P&O have free public launderettes but there is talk about introducing charges. It is all about revenue earning spaces.

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I think that is unlikely. Why would they have one of their ships with a lower profit margin? Then there would be the confusion that would arise when people cruise on her and only then discover there is no free booze, the result, bad press.

What the OP wants is completely new venues etc. the problem is probably everything has been tried. Here is another non goer that used to be on Destiny. Solo cruisers could choose any inside or outside cabin!. For the basic question any decision would be based on cost benefit analysis so crazy ideas are no good, profit is king.

Free booze ! There is no free booze Dave.  I've heard so many people on board refer to to AI as free booze.  You pay upfront for the drinks package whether you use it or not.  Some people can't drink alcohol due to health issues and medication, others don't drink tea or coffee. No one is going to drink £200 worth of soft drinks in a week.  Marella have taken away our choices. 

There would be no confusion. The cruise would be offered as it was before they made all the ships AI. The choice of whether to purchase the drinks package or not. 

8 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Think you are asking the wrong people here. If they are looking at what might attract “future cruise passengers” they should probably be asking families and those in the 20-45 age groups for ideas.

This isn't the only forum, group discussion taken place. But thought you all deserve a voice, opinion on the matter.

Hate when I see a 'voted best' on stuff and think, how did they ask?

Also, based on your other valued comments, a traditional cruise experience could be the unique thing for Marella.

How about a venue that is indoors with huge glass viewing windows, comfortable seating and bar, but when looking through the glass at the sights, an augmented display pops up on the glass and explains what you are looking at with more facts. Now voice announcements, so it's a quiet room, and when no sights to see, can be used for guests to have a drink and chat and socialize in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nancyneptune said:

Free booze ! There is no free booze Dave.  I've heard so many people on board refer to to AI as free booze.  You pay upfront for the drinks package whether you use it or not.  Some people can't drink alcohol due to health issues and medication, others don't drink tea or coffee. No one is going to drink £200 worth of soft drinks in a week.  Marella have taken away our choices. 

There would be no confusion. The cruise would be offered as it was before they made all the ships AI. The choice of whether to purchase the drinks package or not. 

Thanks Nancy, but maybe start a new thread for this discussion as it has nothing to do with this thread.

I fully understand the issue, and as there is so many other cruise ships that aren't AI and you can choose your own drink package, then the issue of Marella AI is a selling point for them and won't change.

I had a junior suite on Royal and an owners Suite on Marella. Marella was still cheaper, with the AI and flights and tips included, than just Cabin only on Royal. So drinks or not, it is a good price, just higher than the past, but if cheaper than the rest, still worth booking.

24 minutes ago, SausPud said:

The buffet can feature a different world dish service area and change everynight. But this is already done on various of other cruise lines.

A world buffet restaurant, now that is a good idea and can be a paid surcharge as well. But as Jimmy Buffet failed at this on the high street, the public doesn't want it, and they were cheap.

Ah but I detest having my meals at the buffet. Part of my holiday is sitting down and being served a nice meal.

And Cosmo do a great world buffet and the are doing pretty well.

16 minutes ago, SausPud said:

This isn't the only forum, group discussion taken place. But thought you all deserve a voice, opinion on the matter.

Hate when I see a 'voted best' on stuff and think, how did they ask?

Also, based on your other valued comments, a traditional cruise experience could be the unique thing for Marella.

How about a venue that is indoors with huge glass viewing windows, comfortable seating and bar, but when looking through the glass at the sights, an augmented display pops up on the glass and explains what you are looking at with more facts. Now voice announcements, so it's a quiet room, and when no sights to see, can be used for guests to have a drink and chat and socialize in.

Now I DO like the that idea especially if it was a quiet zone.

25 minutes ago, SausPud said:

If the cinema room is already on the ship, then it tends to stay.

Not a new feature, not even 4D new to ships.

I was referring to a minibar in the cinema, or help yourself to a bottle of beer/cocktail. And I wondered if any of the suggested ships had a cinema (perhaps OT). 

SP - I think that describes what most people on here are asking for - somewhere for a quiet drink and a chat. The rest - itinerary, food, drinks etc, generally suit most people fine.

Whilst on the subject of new features, we have sailed on D1 twice and so far, have never seen the climbing wall in use - has anyone else?

Marella should be considering what current customers want, otherwise they will be attracting new ones in, whilst 'bread and butter' passengers of the past leave.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

They are looking for a "First at Sea" exclusive wow factor to draw new and existing people to Marella.

A venue or an experience that no one else has, that would work on a ship.

Think you are asking the wrong people here. If they are looking at what might attract “future cruise passengers” they should probably be asking families and those in the 20-45 age groups for ideas.

Certainly for us personally, and we know we have been lucky, but we are happy that we have completed so many cruises with different lines and seen so many wonderful parts of the world over the last 20 years. We have not only enjoyed the ports of call, but have also enjoyed the sea days where we simply enjoy watching the sea and whatever shipping, fishing boats, marine life and scenery come our way. And relaxing by reading (and dozing!) to the sound of the sea. Anyone who visited Alaska, Norway and many other beautiful areas will know what the scenery and sealife are like. To us, it is what “cruising” should be.  It has been a more “traditional cruising” experience than what “new to cruising” passengers will experience now and in the near future.

With so many ships to fill, lines are looking for ways to attract passengers. We have despaired at

most of the recent additions to cruise ships but apparently it is what “new to cruising” passengers expect.

These include electric car racing tracks, bike racing tracks, robot bartenders, rope courses, ziplines, go-karts, fake lawns and parks, a rising bar, bungee jumping, and coming next year, the first roller coaster at sea.

To be honest, we think that “cruising” is now not so much about actual cruising, more about “experiences” and for those, you might as well stuff ships with “experiences” and stay tied up at the dock, because there will be so many “experiences” to try there simply won’t be time to go ashore.

Maybe the way to attract more passengers is to have an "experience free" adult only ship with at least one quiet bar area for chatting, a sports bar, and foods of the world restaurants!

Completely agree.  Forget the new ideas and experiences. Get back to traditional cruising.

There are plenty of loud, brash cruise lines out there to suit young people and families.

When we and a few others mentioned to the CD and the ACD  about the excessively loud music in the theatre they made a derogatory comment about our age. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GOQ said:

I was referring to a minibar in the cinema, or help yourself to a bottle of beer/cocktail. And I wondered if any of the suggested ships had a cinema (perhaps OT). 

Movie under the stars, has the bar. Just outside. 

16 minutes ago, pinkpanther52 said:

OK totally radical idea, how about scenic cruising during the day and stay overnight in port.

Excursions offered could be evening walks, night at the theatre etc.

Nice idea, might not be practical every week, but each ship could do a few of these a year and with good planning, it will work.

Baltics and Norway spring to mind for great destinations to do this on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SausPud said:

Nice idea, might not be practical every week, but each ship could do a few of these a year and with good planning, it will work.

Baltics and Norway spring to mind for great destinations to do this on.

I would book on one 😀

4 minutes ago, nancyneptune said:

Completely agree.  Forget the new ideas and experiences. Get back to traditional cruising.

There are plenty of loud, brash cruise lines out there to suit young people and families.

When we and a few others mentioned to the CD and the ACD  about the excessively loud music in the theatre they made a derogatory comment about our age. 

I'm not saying the whole ship will be all new ideas. Just one thing added. 

The rest will still be the same, MDR, Theatre, Bar, lounge, etc. If not improved.

31 minutes ago, SausPud said:

Thanks Nancy, but maybe start a new thread for this discussion as it has nothing to do with this thread.

I fully understand the issue, and as there is so many other cruise ships that aren't AI and you can choose your own drink package, then the issue of Marella AI is a selling point for them and won't change.

I had a junior suite on Royal and an owners Suite on Marella. Marella was still cheaper, with the AI and flights and tips included, than just Cabin only on Royal. So drinks or not, it is a good price, just higher than the past, but if cheaper than the rest, still worth booking.

As Dave mentioned free booze in his post I was just pointing out that it is not free but paid for upfront.

Owner's suite on Marella.  Never heard of that term used on a Thomson / Marella ship.

Marella can now be more expensive than some other lines that have fabulous destinations around the world with tips and drinks included at the same price as a Canary Isles cruise on Marella. Just reading the pull out supplement in my newspaper now.

They may have changed the name but it's still just a Thomson cruise on a dated ship.

After three cruises a year over the past 15 + years I feel very disappointed with Marella as it is now.

Not a great deal of difference, but post #38 refers to post #25 which was edited and now reads:

Maybe the way to attract more passengers is to have an "experience free" adult only ship with at least one quiet bar area for chatting, a sports bar, and foods of the world restaurants and new, smaller ports of call. By the time they do this, it would be something no other line will be offering.

Instead of:

Maybe the way to attract more passengers is to have an "experience free" adult only ship with at least one quiet bar area for chatting, a sports bar, and foods of the world restaurants!

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nancyneptune said:

As Dave mentioned free booze in his post I was just pointing out that it is not free but paid for upfront.

Owner's suite on Marella.  Never heard of that term used on a Thomson / Marella ship.

Marella can now be more expensive than some other lines that have fabulous destinations around the world with tips and drinks included at the same price as a Canary Isles cruise on Marella. Just reading the pull out supplement in my newspaper now.

They may have changed the name but it's still just a Thomson cruise on a dated ship.

After three cruises a year over the past 15 + years I feel very disappointed with Marella as it is now.

there was no owners suite on Thomson or Marella, however there was a presidential suite on Spirit. I know the 'free' booze is not free, lets say free at point of sale instead.

I would not call the Discoveries and Explorers dated. The hull and the machinery can last several decades and the ships have had extensive decorative upgrades.

all this is off topic

2 hours ago, SausPud said:

Are there any owners suites on Marella.?

Just a couple of questions.   In what capacity are you invited to these meetings with the bosses of Marella? And don’t they have a marketing dept of some sort that should be asking this type of thing?

I am sure that if they organised some sort of competition on their web site asking the same thing then they would get a much better response as in people taking part than they would by putting it out here.

just asking.

19 minutes ago, Brummijam said:

Just a couple of questions.   In what capacity are you invited to these meetings with the bosses of Marella? And don’t they have a marketing dept of some sort that should be asking this type of thing?

I am sure that if they organised some sort of competition on their web site asking the same thing then they would get a much better response as in people taking part than they would by putting it out here.

just asking.

I have been wondering exactly the same thing. 

Are we still giving ideas???? if so here is mine. When you pay to pick your cabin you can also pick a dedicated space with sun beds for all in the cabin. The would solve the age old subbed run and making the cruise more relaxing it would be on first come basis. Once the pool attendant has put out the sun beds in the morning then a sticker is placed on the bed with cabin number.