Getting cold in Germany

badtwin

We are currently on a Viking Cruise in Germany and it was cold today.  Just a reminder to check your forecasts. We are very happy we brought gloves. A warm hat would have been nice. We are doing okay with layers, but lots of older cruisers are complaining about the cold.  Be sure you bring enough warm items as well as rain protection.

It is relative, certainly. It was 11 Celsius with us this afternoon, with the dampness making it unpleasant. Going shopping I am okay, but if I wanted to wander around with a guided tour I would feel the cold.

By the way, badtwin, it will get warmer again as the week progresses, but you might be returning home by then. In any case, have a great time.

notamermaid

6 hours ago, Coral said:

What temps are you having? Cold is sort of relative depending on where people are from.

Just did a search and it looks to be 48-50 F. 

It was 37 when we left the ship yesterday but a few degrees warmer today.  The wind and frequent stops on tours make it feel colder. And we have had lots of rain. Not comp!ain'ing as we narrowly avoided a ship swap.

Yes, cold is relative. We live in one of the Rocky Mountain states where fall/winter temperatures are significantly cooler than many states. We usually travel to Europe in October & November as the crowds are much thinner and weather conditions are more to our liking (no super hot, humid days). We enjoy this time of the year and pack accordingly. We pack lightweight down jackets and vests, waterproof walking shoes & raincoat, umbrella, scarf, hat & gloves. For us, it is he wind that makes a day very chilly - fortunately, we have been lucky and have experienced very few windy days. We are leaving for Germany next week - hoping for another wonderful experience.

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Yes, cold is relative. We live in one of the Rocky Mountain states where fall/winter temperatures are significantly cooler than many states. We usually travel to Europe in October & November as the crowds are much thinner and weather conditions are more to our liking (no super hot, humid days). We enjoy this time of the year and pack accordingly. We pack lightweight down jackets and vests, waterproof walking shoes & raincoat, umbrella, scarf, hat & gloves. For us, it is he wind that makes a day very chilly - fortunately, we have been lucky and have experienced very few windy days. We are leaving for Germany next week - hoping for another wonderful experience.

I live in the Midwest and also prefer cooler days. We will have a freeze this week with low temps around 30. I will take this over July in Europe. For me, it is the dampness that makes it cooler. So 93 last week and freeze this week - typical Midwest weather.

1 hour ago, dolllover said:

I bet France is getting cold too. Thanks for the reminder as I prepare my packing for my upcoming Rhone cruise.

As regards weather France is a vast area from North to South. You will find the South is a little milder around this time of year than Germany, especially the East of Germany. I cannot believe they have already had snow in Moscow, I am feeling miserable already in our rainy ten degrees Celsius, snow in October is not for me!

Do check weather sites, Lyon appears on my screen as having 16 to 23 Celsius this week, around four degrees more than the Rhine valley.

notamermaid

• Like 1

We almost always travel in January, partially because I can avoid the hot Australian summer and partially because it is easier for my husband to take holidays then.

A bonus is a lack of crowds everywhere, but of course it is cold.  We don't mind that.

The forecast temperatures for our Rhine cruise next week seem really warm compared to what we are usually expecting in January.

Notamermaid, we were in France a couple of January's ago and travelled south from Paris to Lyon to Avignon and then into Spain.  I had assumed that it would get warmer as we went further south, but it definitely did not.  We had heavy snow in Lyon and Avignon was totally freezing.  We only warmed up in Spain.