New ship

The Bullingdon Club

This is Konigsdam promenade- awful narrow.

whatever happened to having a lovely glasses in all-weather promenade like on liners of old like United States lines SS America and others. 

Edited by watsonbeau

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

I must concur. I think in days gone by we referred to them as 'carvers'.

On the odd occasion of first arriving in the Grills and an 'armless' was at the table I've always ensured our table had 'carvers' for subsequent meals..

1187387469_Cheerstoanenjoyabledinner.thumb.jpg.d74e5c7747e6845afc4d87116d97711b.jpg

Yes, carvers is what they are.

• Like 1

Guest SilverHengroen
7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

A couple observations from the Queen Anne deck plans.

Further to the discussion of the dance floor in the Queens Room, is anyone seeing another venue with a dance floor similar to the Yacht Club/G32 night clubs/discos on the other ships? There's the suggestion of an area near the piano in the center of the Commodore Club that might serve as a tiny dance floor. Otherwise I'm not seeing much.

Also, I'm not seeing an indication of any single occupancy cabins in the Stateroom Category legend.

I also thought that but wasn't sure if it was an omission, it seems a bit strange to not have them when they went to lengths to retrofit them to the existing ships (and did make quite a ballyhoo about it). It appears there are a number of one-person tables in the QG restaurant inboard, if I am reading the deck plan correctly, and it is an accurate representation of table layout. I also spy 8 of them on deck 2 of the Britannia, though the Britannia club suggests these may be meant to have a banquette on the other side. 

Also, when did Cunard get precious about Deck 13? 

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I was prepared to give QA the benefit of the doubt and if an itinerary suited, possibly give her a whirl.

If the deck plans depicted are the reality, the Grills lounge and restaurant area and in particular QG are an absolute turn off.

No thanks.

QV for us with the occasional side trip on her sister. 

I suppose the benefit is most tables get a good sea view, I can't imagine it's going to feel much like a 'room' though, and that might make the atmosphere feel a little off. The Grills lounge seems like it will be disappointing compared to its counterpart on QV and QE at least, no view at all, unless you can see through the restaurants. The outside space looks nice (very large, and with the infinity hot tubs) as something of a saving grace, but the lack of the courtyard is a further disappointment to me. 

7 hours ago, eroller said:

I agree about the library.  Looks small and certainly no better than some other cruise lines.  I doubt there will be a librarian onboard.  Like the traditional promenade deck,, out with the old and in with the new at Cunard.  

I also agree about the QG.  It's exceptionally long and narrow.  Very odd.  I'm sure it will be nice but probably not too grand considering the shape.  

Here are a couple renderings.  

Layout:

Queens Grill:

Princess Grill:

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 9.20.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 9.19.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 9.19.39 PM.png

I also can't see a bookshop, either adjacent as on QM2 or specifically noted among the 'boutique' shops as on QE/QV. I suppose they might just not have labelled it on these plans, but perusing in there is always a nice little activity when I have a little spare time. 

The only thing I can think for QG is they prioritised window-side seating, which is fine, but as above I do question what the atmosphere will be like when everyone is stretched along such a long narrow space. 

I had hoped there would be lots of chairs/sunbeds on the promenade deck like there are on QM2 - nicely shaded by the lifeboats and underside of the deck above.  For us if the ballroom is such that the floor is less than two thirds of the length of the other three Cunard ships, then that spells the end of ballroom dancing on QA - and if we can't dance properly every evening, then we won't be booking on QA. The classic elegance of the other three ships also seems to have been replaced by modern clean but clinical styling with no character. So the immediate warmth and embracing ambience of the other three ships looks to have been erased, at least in our view, in the pictures that have been released so far. I suppose everyone has their own view!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, eroller said:

The lifeboat height won’t matter as you won’t be walking under them. They sit almost directly on the deck, and the narrow walkway is behind the boats.  So no view to the ocean except in a few open spots.  

I took this on NIEUW STATENDAM , which is a sister ship to QA. 

DFA26A12-9CA9-4560-9EA7-BD01886BDDFB.jpeg

anyone got any  info or idea about the obstruction for deck 4 balconies DB and DC this photo if replicated on QA suggest the obstruction will be davits etc similar to QV and QE CB grades which are minimal,  rather than the fully obstructed balconies on QM2. The images of her exterior seem to suggest this. Also deck plans show BC unobstucted  balconies on deck 4  as midships whereas the plan suggests they are mid aft a description  omitted from the key which lists midships, aft and

aft/forward

16 hours ago, eroller said:

The lifeboat height won’t matter as you won’t be walking under them. They sit almost directly on the deck, and the narrow walkway is behind the boats.  So no view to the ocean except in a few open spots.  

I took this on NIEUW STATENDAM , which is a sister ship to QA. 

DFA26A12-9CA9-4560-9EA7-BD01886BDDFB.jpeg

Just like prom decks of the old ocean liners and the originals Queens! Very traditional I say just with the boats painted orange! 

2 hours ago, mcloaked said:

I had hoped there would be lots of chairs/sunbeds on the promenade deck like there are on QM2 - nicely shaded by the lifeboats and underside of the deck above.  For us if the ballroom is such that the floor is less than two thirds of the length of the other three Cunard ships, then that spells the end of ballroom dancing on QA - and if we can't dance properly every evening, then we won't be booking on QA. The classic elegance of the other three ships also seems to have been replaced by modern clean but clinical styling with no character. So the immediate warmth and embracing ambience of the other three ships looks to have been erased, at least in our view, in the pictures that have been released so far. I suppose everyone has their own view!

Many do agree with one’s sentiments.  
However, this mongrel is designed for the new demographic of casual holiday makers, not for those taking a genteel Cunard voyage.  
Carnival hopes this ship will compete with RCL, Celebrity and their like, possibly seeking to attract their devotees to Cunard, attracted by a higher price point for the new and ‘improved’ Cunard experience, then becoming repeat and regular bookers.
One thinks this thought process will prove, in time, to be a flawed.

Luckily, we still have the three true Queens and wish well to all who sail on it.

If you look back to page 862 and successive pages, you can see reactions to QV's first appearance. The pages are archived, so I can't revive them here. However, there are few positive comments about her. 'Bog-standard Carnival money machine' seems fairly typical. Yet now she is looked on as a 'true Queen.' I dare say we'll get used to QA in the end. 😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

My thoughts,

Unless I’ve miss it I can not see a veranda restaurant.

as some one else noted more passengers less laundry rooms 

Queens room looks small in proportion to the size of the ship and passenger count, afternoon tea will be interesting.

the same deck plan is begging to appear on more TA sites so is likely to be reasonable accurate.

final thoughts,  Cunard appear to be going the easy jet route, pay you basic fare and everything else has an additional charge, may be small things like access to a self service laundry or a steam room ( QV/ QE) but the small changes we have all seen over they years appear to be gathering speed, how long before the cocktail parties are quietly phased out.

I wish I had the money to sail on the Queen Anne. We are ballroom dancers and wish the floor were larger. If we ever do get to travel aboard her we will manage to get around the floor somehow. We still haven’t been on Victoria or Elizabeth either. Sadly, we are not made of money but one can dream…

10 minutes ago, Poole Boy said:

Cunard appear to be going the easy jet route, pay you basic fare and everything else has an additional charge, may be small things like access to a self service laundry 

Do you have any evidence for your example of the launderette? In any case, if that is their intention, isn't it rather contradictory to omit the Veranda?

8 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Good question! - What’s a Launderette?  🫡🫡 😉

When I was last aboard, it was, on all occasions I looked, a space completely empty of humans with some resting white goods in it. There may be more to it of course.

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

When I was last aboard, it was, on all occasions I looked, a space completely empty of humans with some resting white goods in it. There may be more to it of course.

Great report.

Contrary to rumour, there was also no evidence of a cauldron, pointed hats or broomstick’s?

As you say, there’s obviously more to this than meets the eye.  

What's a launderette?

It's a very small room on a ship which It contains large mechanical devices which washes 

''stuff''  and other box like devices which dry the  aforesaid washed ''stuff''. The little room saves me a bundle of $$ by not having to send ''stuff'' to the official ship's laundry.

This small room  apparently has some sort of board and a hot thing which is supposed to smooth out the washed ''stuff'', but I wouldn't know about that as I don't use a smoothing device on holiday!

This small room is best visited when fellow passengers are either ashore [we can't be bothered joining the herd if on repeat itineraries] or getting ready for first sitting dinner. 

6 minutes ago, 57eric said:

In my experience, it's a tiny, hot, noisy room packed with passengers.

I think the likelihood of encountering human inmates must depend very much on the length of the cruise. Most people have enough underwear for a twelve night cruise, which is what I was on.

Guest SilverHengroen
58 minutes ago, Poole Boy said:

My thoughts,

Queens room looks small in proportion to the size of the ship and passenger count, afternoon tea will be interesting.

the same deck plan is begging to appear on more TA sites so is likely to be reasonable accurate.

final thoughts,  Cunard appear to be going the easy jet route, pay you basic fare and everything else has an additional charge, may be small things like access to a self service laundry or a steam room ( QV/ QE) but the small changes we have all seen over they years appear to be gathering speed, how long before the cocktail parties are quietly phased out.

It’s presumably the steakhouse, aft end of deck 10 alongside the pan-Asian restaurant. 

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I think the likelihood of encountering human inmates must depend very much on the length of the cruise. Most people have enough underwear for a twelve night cruise, which is what I was on.

I agree.

For those who turn their noses up at the small room in question, try a couple of world cruise segments or indeed,  the whole monty with enough underwear to last.

It's either ughhh what a stink;  a large addition to your onboard account; a couple of suitcases just for underwear or, heaven forbid, the use of a passenger launderette!

Personally, for thirty five days plus I am MORE than happy to venture into that little room for a quick 'smalls'' clean.

If ''one '' wants to add to ''ones'' onboard account by utilising their laundry facility for ''ones'' smalls, I'm sure Cunard will be delighted to assist.

On 4/28/2022 at 4:56 PM, Poole Boy said:

My thoughts,

I think Steak House & Grill aft on deck 11 or other high deck is the new Veranda

On 4/28/2022 at 6:24 PM, techteach said:

I’m new to Cunard, but when I look at QG5 and GQ6, I only see about a dozen rooms. Is that typical? There could be a reason they made the QG Restaurant small.

While QM2 has lots, the Vistas only have a few.

On 4/28/2022 at 4:46 PM, exlondoner said:

If you look back to page 862 and successive pages, you can see reactions to QV's first appearance. The pages are archived, so I can't revive them here. However, there are few positive comments about her. 'Bog-standard Carnival money machine' seems fairly typical. Yet now she is looked on as a 'true Queen.' I dare say we'll get used to QA in the end. 😀

I am sure that there will be a following for QA - but not necessarily all who have loved the elegance of the three current queens. For me the real deal breaker is the ballroom floor - which to me seems like there is either a real ignorance about what constitutes real ballroom dancing and the floor that is needed to do it, or there is an intention to dilute the ballroom dancing on QA compared to the other three ships. It is also possible that the plan is to use the QA Queen's Room for a bit of poor ballroom dancing as well as disco evenings - which would destroy the ballroom dancing even more.

Of course a significant number of passengers never get on the floor to dance real ballroom - but, for those who do, being unable to dance properly is a killer factor, and they may well decide to book on QE/QV/QM2 so that they can dance where they will be unable to on QA.

It is analogous to the situation where people who love being spectators to the top tennis matches, such as at Wimbledon, find suddenly that the Wimbledon modernisers decided that tennis courts take up too much space, and it would be financially better if the tennis courts were half the size to accommodate more spectators - and then wonder why the top players decide to play matches in the other cities, and not Wimbledon, where they do retain the traditional tennis court sizes - and then managers who don't play tennis can't understand what the fuss is about merely because the size of the courts is a 'little smaller' than used to be the case!

Edited by mcloaked
Add a sentence
  • Like 3