Almost Live - First Time Azamara to Southeast Asia

hubofhockey

8 hours ago, ellbon said:

still not read one thing on weather and still plan a beach day. Seems I keep missing rain. Besides anything beat cold NC in Nov.

The weather looks decent for today with partly sunny and 79.   If the rain holds off, that's perfect weather to me.

1 hour ago, hubofhockey said:

The weather looks decent for today with partly sunny and 79.   If the rain holds off, that's perfect weather to me.

Been nice out for days. What is a ten minute rain. Almost ready to go to beach.

6 hours ago, ellbon said:

Been nice out for days. What is a ten minute rain. Almost ready to go to beach.

Yup, the forecast for days had called for rain.  80% with scattered showers with a high of 79.  In reality, sunny with some clouds and high of 87.  Go figure.

We arrived an hour early in port.  We had no plans, so I visited TripAdvisor and found a reasonably close beach and spa club called Nikki Beach Club.  The day passes for The W, where Azamara goes were $69 a person if done privately or $159 with Azamara.  The $69 online were sold out.  It's a good thing because the cost at Nikki was ZERO.  We paid 800 BAHT ($26.50) round trip in a taxi, 400 ($13.25) for my Mai Tai on the rocks and $105 for two really great 60 minute massages.  For less than 1/2 the price of the Azamara excursion, we lived it up and got to swim in the beautiful Gulf of Thailand.  It looked like three other couples from the Quest all had this same idea.  For what I thought was a throwaway port, it turned out to be a nice bonus.  Used our remaining Thai money on some great street food.  Still have 40 left ($1.32).  

A funny story from last night which is worth mentioning from the two loud tables near us in Aqualina.,  Overheard, "Harry, I have some Imodium tablets if you need (spoken in a Long Island accent).  Anyone else, if you need, speak up."  Sorry, I practically LMAO. 

One sea day tomorrow (packing) before our final port day in Singapore.  We'll pack tomorrow and get ready for a long weekend in Siem Reap, Cambodia.  Have met some really nice people on this cruise and it's been one of my all time favorite vacations.

Oh, wanted to mention that every so often there are special buffets in the main dining room and there was a special brunch today that was outstanding.  With the brunch, we skipped lunch and I had a small plate of chicken and rice street food.  These special events in Discoveries (MDR) have all been really good and Azamara gets bonus points for this.

Edited by hubofhockey
  • Like 1

I think the buffets and special brunches are where Azamara really scores.  I hear people say, I never go to anything self serve and my response is on Azamara you are missing out on something really nice.

Unfortunately though the idiot you overheard in Aqualina is why people avoid the buffets.  Idiots like him spoilt our last visit in that area and the subsequent two cruises - we were b2b2b.  Someone developed GI earlier in the cruise, probably from an ashore eating experience but did not report.  When we disembarked a month later we were still under sanitation restrictions and the poor staff doing extra duties were run ragged so it inevitably impacted other service.  

• Like 2

I find that ships coffee..something I do not drink normally...plus chocolate does not help me. So by giving up both no problems. 

I missed many brunch due to the fact now late breakfast vs the real 11 tom1 brunch. Just can not eat all that food.

The quality of the food and presentation of brunch in Discoveries is just so much better than the alternatives.  

One last time, I have to say that the experience in Prime C is miles ahead of that in Aqualina.  Maybe some prefer Aqualina, but I would not be upset to see Aqualina go over a complete facelift from food to physical set up.  I have spoken to many who travel both Azamara and Oceania and they believe dining is a little better on Oceania and that Aqualina is nothing special.  

The Quest entertainment cast is leaving after this cruise.  They did a good set of Elton John songs.  We're seeing Elton John at the TD Garden in a couple of weeks, so hearing the songs gives you an appreciation of a legend.  They didn't my favorite song, Levon and I don't believe any in the cast could pull that one off.  The male lead singer is very good though. If that 42 Below thing still exists, we saw no evidence of it on this cruise.  From the sounds of it, maybe it was buried at sea.

Today will be a much needed sea day.  We need to get things in order for our trip to Siem Reap in a couple of days.  With tomorrow being a day in Singapore and self embarking at 5:20 am the following morning, we need to really start organizing today.  Home is still about six days away.  I don't know how so many do back to back (or even more consecutive) cruises.  Our previous longest cruise has been 12 days and we've done a couple of those and an 11 day one as well.  Next up will be Silversea seven days in the Galapagos next May and then 11 nights on the Reflection (Aqua Class) next November.  

Len

you are leaving not arriving at 520 right after I leave ship.

enjoying my cabin now. One bag is packed and some tips are given up already. Rest tonight.

never go to MDR. Just eat in Windows or deck ten. Not a morning person so the buffets are wasted on me. But I use to go when started and finish later in day. Last one I went to it ended at 1. 

Aqualina was redone. New chairs and maybe carpet. The food we both agree and the F and B to that the eggplant not correct. 

I know Italian food (see my CC handle) and Aqualina is just fine.  If someone doesn't like the way the eggplant is prepared, order something else.  The appetizers, soups, salads and desserts are all excellent.  The veal chop and beef tenderloin are, also.  If you want red sauce on all your pasta, sorry.

The wait staff rotates between the two specialties, so service is the same.  It's personal opinion, but the decor in Aqualina is more upscale.

• Like 3

Yup, I think dinner in Windows and Caribbean buffet is tonight.

We are walking off at 5:20 AM on the 31st.

I am pretty beat.  The motion of the ship or just plain being tired.  

Aqualina just doesn't do it for me.  To be honest, if I had a choice between Aqualina and Sushi on 5 on Celebrity, it would be Sushi on 5 all day (night).  Prime C is at another level and my favorite of all specialty restaurants on any line.  Had the chateaubriand last night and I see they have Ribeye on the bone, which is usually only found at good steakhouses and I'll get that.  I try to eat red meat once or twice a week maximum, but making an exception here.  

Edited by hubofhockey

2 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

I know Italian food (see my CC handle) and Aqualina is just fine.  If someone doesn't like the way the eggplant is prepared, order something else.  The appetizers, soups, salads and desserts are all excellent.  The veal chop and beef tenderloin are, also.  If you want red sauce on all your pasta, sorry.

The wait staff rotates between the two specialties, so service is the same.  It's personal opinion, but the decor in Aqualina is more upscale.

Are you the famous #44 who played at Cornell and also on tv shows(Ed Marinaro) ?  I've been curious for a while.  If so, all I'll say is you should have won the Heisman.  

Edited by hubofhockey

A summary of day at sea.

Boot camp, packing, lunch, sanctum pool, more packing, dinner at windows caribbean buffet, shawn mcmaster (comedic magician) in cabaret lounge, chocolate buffet, 20 minutes of smooth sensations in living room.  back to room to finish packing.

McMaster put on a decent show.  He didn't pass his audition on America's Got Talent in 2013 when Howie and Howard Stern voted No, but Mel B and Heidi did vote Yes.  He's a humorist magician and does entertain and the comedy is better than the magic.  

We're seeing Singapore in 7 hours tomorrow with a City Unscripted tour.  We have a very early flight out in two days to Siem Reap.  

Tomorrow night is our last night on the ship.  All in all, really liked the ship, loved the itinerary, and had a great experience.  Thanks to all who followed along.  If I didn't enjoy some of your favorite things on Azamara, hey, it's only my opinion.  I am probably not the typical Azamara passenger.  Next up for us for Azamara is actually deciding whether to do Japan 15 nights on Pursuit or 10 days on Oceania Nautica.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Well we do not agree. Also prime C had meat.  I want more red sauce, more veal parm, pasta with clans ..real southern cooking.  Outside the Dover sole not liked one main in there. Prime C  mostly starters and pasta there to. 

Not been to the new sushi on five but love Nobus on ships.

On October 28, 2019 at 5:07 AM, hubofhockey said:

I think that the big D is a much bigger problem on an itinerary like this.  Harry declined the imodium. 

5 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

Tomorrow night is our last night on the ship.  All in all, really liked the ship, loved the itinerary, and had a great experience.  Thanks to all who followed along.  If I didn't enjoy some of your favorite things on Azamara, hey, it's only my opinion.  I am probably not the typical Azamara passenger.  Next up for us for Azamara is actually deciding whether to do Japan 15 nights on Pursuit or 10 days on Oceania Nautica.  

Len great cruise. Thanks for bringing us along for the ride.

Please post pictures when you get home, I'd like to see your pictures of the ports and also of the Quest.

Safe sailing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Len great cruise. Thanks for bringing us along for the ride.

Please post pictures when you get home, I'd like to see your pictures of the ports and also of the Quest.

Safe sailing.

Will do Ron.  When I get home on good WIFI, it will be easier.

I'll have some great memories of this cruise / vacation.  I would recommend this itinerary on any small ship cruise line as long as you can get into the local ports.  The ports are the stars here on a great itinerary.  The Quest is a good ship to do this on as well.  Going in, my biggest fear was being bored on the ship, but there was plenty to do around the ship, including live music with two nice entertainment venues (Cabaret Lounge and Living Room).  I'd be happy to take another cruise with Azamara on any cruise that relates to destination immersion and great ports.  To relax or fun in the sun, I'd go Celebrity or Royal Caribbean Oasis class.  Each cruise line has a time and a place.

Today is Singapore and we'll head out in five hours for a full day and walk off the ship early tomorrow at 5:20 am for what appears to be a surprisingly cooler but wet Siem Reap.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, laurieb said:

I’ve really enjoyed reading your posts!  Thank you for taking us along with you 😃

I hope you choose the Azamara cruise!

Thank you.  If we don't choose the Azamara cruise, it will only relate to logistics and economics.  We can always move the future cruise and the benefits to another Azamara cruise, but it was important to do A booking.  The Oceania is a Wednesday to a Saturday ten days later, which fits nicely into a two-week vacation. Since I'll still be working for another six years, it's an issue.  We will definitely cruise Azamara again in a heartbeat.  

I am pretty sure that we can push the future cruise out two years past the one we booked into 2023.

2 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

I'll have some great memories of this cruise / vacation.  I would recommend this itinerary on any small ship cruise line as long as you can get into the local ports.

Adding my thanks to all the others; I have really enjoyed your posts.  I think you've hit on the best thing about Azamara -- the ability to get into ports, closer to city centers, because of the small ships.  Enjoy Angkor Wat.

5 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Len, "The Living Room", is their a bar or lounge close by?

I'm assuming a good spot to congregate and finish off the day with a night cap?

The Living Room has a bar, but it also has a disco at night, so not a good place to finish the day after 10:30 if you want to talk.  Spirits bar/the Den is nice too.

6 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Len, "The Living Room", is their a bar or lounge close by?

I'm assuming a good spot to congregate and finish off the day with a night cap?

I would say yes, there are side sofas away from the dancefloor that groups can congregate in or you can be nearer the action in chairs by the dancers.  Alternatively bar stools and engaging with the staff.

A very quiet nightcap is not so easy to find, though you can get a drink at the bar on Deck 5 and take it through to Mosaic.

The Den/Spirits on 5 is a piano bar.  Bizarrely it can be noisier than the living room if the player is doing certain songs and a lively crowd is in.  It’s a smaller area with lower ceilings so sound doesn’t disipate as well 

Living Room on this itinerary was not really a disco.  Smooth Sensations was a band that played their regularly.  They played rock, soft rock, disco, oldies, and female lead had good range.  There was a DJ there who did play music and lead Karaoke.  Robin (Ellbon) knows him.  You can have conversations, depending on what is going on and where you were sitting.  If you were up close, then probably not so much.  I really liked the venue.

We did 6.5 hours with a private guide in Singapore.  It's a beautiful city.  We went to Chinatown, a hawker center, hindu temple, gardens by the bay (wow!) and did the view from atop the Marina Bay Sands.  We traveled using the MRT.  Our guide Kenny was outstanding.  It would have been nice if we had stayed with our original plan of doing Singapore on our own during the day and a tour at night with the Supertrees lit up, but when our flight was pushed to 8:40 am, we knew we'd have to get back early and get to sleep early.  4:15 am wake up for our flight to Siem Reap.  Another great weather day.  It rained while we were in the domes of Gardens by the Bay,  

When I get home next week, I'll post a good deal of photos.

• Like 6

A lot of this is interesting. Last two cruises most nights the Den was to  loud to talk vs the Living Room. But depends on night and crowd. No way over late night music in any bar to talk with yelling.

also my last stop today was near Merlin across from hotel about 4. One drop of rain one guess had a melt down. When we got back to ship I walked to senesto island and thru mall. Had a  double  app  at the prime C bar, dance now about 2 am a quick Ba’ath as I leave for airport about 5.

should of slept in HK. Pity the friends who collect me at airport .

the night tour is cheaper on your own and we hD crowds in living room with yummy food  for the night tour

Edited by ellbon

Well  as I was leaving terminal I saw  Len and  his wife plus another  couple.  I walked outside and left for airport. As always flight delay. Never saw the four others again. Not sure w why no one helped them off ship. I had help. One  even  asked about my HK flight but I knew the time not the number.

i can honestly say I wish I had stayed in HK. Would of been in my hotel room. By three napping  plus the flight to states was at three so easy to handle.