THE SECRETS OF THE NCL HAVEN LUXURY EXPERIENCE

Sthrngary

How dressed up do people get for dinner in the Haven? We'll be celebrating a lot of missed special occasions and I would love to get dressed up a couple of the nights. Would we feel out of place? We do have a reservation for Cagney's as well and were planning on dressing up that night - but again, not sure how dressy people get. I know some people love cruise casual but my husband and I actually miss having a reason to dress formal for dinner.

teachingin hawaii.  ncl is famous for its freesytle cruising. there is no dress code. dress up if you like, but i'm sure you'll see equally as many (if not more cruisers) casually dressed. haven restaurant, cagneys, no matter, i go in  jeans and tennies and wouldnt think of bringing a suit or jacket.

incidentally, i am not trying to knock your decision, just trying to point out its unnecessary to dress up

only restaurant with a specific code is le bistro that requires men to have collared shirts.

consequently, we rarely eat there. if you are actually dressed "formal"  (tux, dinner jacket or fancy dress) im afraid you might feel a little out of place. wear a suit or sports jacket if you must, and a nice pant suit for the lady.

they do have a night where you can have photos taken with the capt. on that night a suit and tie would seem more appropriate.

To answer Gary’s earlier question: Our favorite part of the Haven is the staff! From the Butler to the Bartenders, they are top notch. One rocky ship night, my husband was feeling under the weather. I went to get some ginger ale from the bar, which was still open. Our Bartender Ryan said, “I have a trick that works well!” And ran up to the (closed) Haven restaurant kitchen to make a plate of sliced apples, toast & cheese. My husband and I were really touched by that act of kindness- and that’s the kind of service that keeps you coming back. 

20 days until we’re in the Haven on the Getaway. We can hardly wait. The Haven is truly our oasis, we’ve missed it terribly the last 2 years! The one thing we did different for this Haven trip is upgraded to the Premium Plus package, which we are excited about. 

• Like 4

Well. I am extremely saddened.  After all the research and time spent packing, organizing and writing my letters and instructions for our animals etc. Countless hours...and after having a devastating last nearly 4 years filled with the deaths of both parents and my sister and trauma from a situation that lasted 9 months and numerous new health diagnosis including autoimmune one of our daughters did a covid test for a procedure on Tuesday and tested positive. I immediately started sobbing. We NEEDED this trip.

My son is delaying his flight just in case but we are pulling at threads. We can't reschedule so I hope my situation allows for a full refund. We cannot rebook because the next trip is over 3k more and the week after that over 4k more. We can't afford it. I am having weight loss surgery in June because of my spinal impingement and won't enjoy a cruise for 2 to 3 years afyer that because I will be on an extremely limited diet and my stomach will be around 6 ounces in size maximum as I will start at 2 - 4 ounces. And our daughter will be in college during the cheap times even if I could. We only could afford one excursion and there is no where else to cut prices as we didn't purchase extras. 

I know it sounds silly but if anyone can send a prayer that would be great. I know others have had more trauma, worse health, more deaths etc. I know we are still blessed despite our situations but I need this trip for my mental health and there is not good resources for our insurance and budget. I am oneds for anxiety and depression but I still really meeded this. We all do truly. So prayers for our cruise and/or my mental health. I just don't know when the rain will stop pouring. 😕 

I'm not giving up. We have until Thursday night to still be able to get my son here, even maybe Saturday morning. We did pcr tests today. Are doing pcr again Tuesday and Tuesday thru Friday we will do antigens crossing our fingers. This was a once in a lifetime event for all 6 of us to have a vacation together. 

I know it's TMI but I didn't want a ton of replies as to how we could book again. It's not feasible. 

For the rest of you. Enjoy. I enjoyed the different personalities and so much knowledge and questions answered that I never even thought of. I appreciate all of you.

• Like 1

So sorry to hear this. It must be devastating for you all. Are the rest of you testing negative? Is your daughter asymptomatic? You still have 6 days until you have to do  an antigen test at the pier. Fingers crossed that you can all stay healthy between now and then.

4 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

So sorry to hear this. It must be devastating for you all. Are the rest of you testing negative? Is your daughter asymptomatic? You still have 6 days until you have to do  an antigen test at the pier. Fingers crossed that you can all stay healthy between now and then.

Thanks. I have a sore throat. We just did the rest of our pcr tests this morning. I am really hoping this goes very fast. I was really scared when I found out you can test positive for up to 90 days but found that was pcr/naat and not the antigen. Crossing the fingers very hard. We also booked a beachhouse for 1 night near the port and it was pricey. They have a no cancelation policy after you are 7 days out without a 50% loss. I shouldn't have booked it but it was only 50 more than a 1 room hotel for all 6 of us. 

1 hour ago, momofjohnjr said:

I am having weight loss surgery in June because of my spinal impingement and won't enjoy a cruise for 2 to 3 years afyer that because I will be on an extremely limited diet and my stomach will be around 6 ounces in size maximum as I will start at 2 - 4 ounces. 

I had a gastric sleeve surgery in January 2020, just before the virus struck.  You're being too pessimistic.   

While it depends upon your surgeon, you should be eating regular foods, no different from now, after about four months following your surgery. You just won't eat as much.  You'll need to be cautious and learn that there is more to a cruise, and a life, than eating.  Otherwise, you will gain all the weight back.  

I lost over eighty pounds.  I've gained about 20 back at the direction of my dietician.  She wanted me to gain back some weight since she thought that at my age (75) I might need the 'fat' to weather any serious sickness.  About half my weight gain has been muscle mass since I'm in the gym four/five days a week.

Losing the weight has been wonderful.  I can touch my toes again.  I'm wearing size L shirts instead of XXXL.  My knees don't hurt.  I threw away all my knee braces.   I can walk five miles and not be tired.  I've tripled my bench press.  I've added 40 yards to my golf shots.  I am so much healthier.  It's worth giving up the huge meals.

Wish you well.  Once you get past the baby food/pureed phase of the diet, things get better fast.

And, one other thing.  Join a support group.  If there's none around then try https://www.bariatricpal.com/  Join now and you'll find some really good people there who are very much like the folks here at cruisecritic.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I had a gastric sleeve surgery in January 2020, just before the virus struck.  You're being too pessimistic.   

While it depends upon your surgeon, you should be eating regular foods, no different from now, after about four months following your surgery. You just won't eat as much.  You'll need to be cautious and learn that there is more to a cruise, and a life, than eating.  Otherwise, you will gain all the weight back.  

I lost over eighty pounds.  I've gained about 20 back at the direction of my dietician.  She wanted me to gain back some weight since she thought that at my age (75) I might need the 'fat' to weather any serious sickness.  About half my weight gain has been muscle mass since I'm in the gym four/five days a week.

Losing the weight has been wonderful.  I can touch my toes again.  I'm wearing size L shirts instead of XXXL.  My knees don't hurt.  I threw away all my knee braces.   I can walk five miles and not be tired.  I've tripled my bench press.  I've added 40 yards to my golf shots.  I am so much healthier.  It's worth giving up the huge meals.

Wish you well.  Once you get past the baby food/pureed phase of the diet, things get better fast.

And, one other thing.  Join a support group.  If there's none around then try https://www.bariatricpal.com/  Join now and you'll find some really good people there who are very much like the folks here at cruisecritic.

I get that but I want to keep it as close to 4 ounces as possible for as long as I can. And I want to enjoy at least 8 ounces b4 I have the surgery. My goal is always to try to stay around 8. I have to be extra strict because I am not able to do much exercise. I have I do believe over 10 things wrong with my spine and RA which affects my joints and other things. I have to do a lot of stationary exercise. But honestly most of it is that Herniated disc in my lower back so with weight loss I will be able to walk much farther. I can touch my toes. I'm super flexible. My husband who has been underwieght and tall until a few years ago can't touch his toes. Lol. He is not flexible at all and needs yoga majorly. That's one I'll be able to do more of. I really just need these 7 days of feeling spoiled with no responsibility and walking the ship and breathing the ocean air and bubbling hot tubs. Anyway, I don't want to spend all that $ only to eat 4 ounces 3x a day. Eat to live but enjoy it. Especially when it's mainly meat for as long as possible.  I really have to stick as close to 4 as long as possible with the exercise limitations and I know if I do that I can lose at least 100 the first year and a quite significant amount the next. Congratulations on your loss! It's wonderful to hear! I love a good success story! It's encouraging. 😀 

10 hours ago, bmwnurse said:

To answer Gary’s earlier question: Our favorite part of the Haven is the staff! From the Butler to the Bartenders, they are top notch. One rocky ship night, my husband was feeling under the weather. I went to get some ginger ale from the bar, which was still open. Our Bartender Ryan said, “I have a trick that works well!” And ran up to the (closed) Haven restaurant kitchen to make a plate of sliced apples, toast & cheese. My husband and I were really touched by that act of kindness- and that’s the kind of service that keeps you coming back. 

20 days until we’re in the Haven on the Getaway. We can hardly wait. The Haven is truly our oasis, we’ve missed it terribly the last 2 years! The one thing we did different for this Haven trip is upgraded to the Premium Plus package, which we are excited about. 

Thank you for the shout out.  The Haven Crew is fantastic.  I love the Getaway. 

Cruise well.

@momofjohnjrFunny little story.  My wife had Lap band and my daughter has the sleave. My family lets say has been fighting being overweight our entire lifetime. Sound familiar?

I was frustrated that I was the highest weight I have ever been.  I went to their doctor.  He told me I had to be on a Keto type of diet for the rest of my life after the procedure.  On our drive home, my wife asked my what my thoughts were.  I said, "Why don't I attempt to do a Keto diet first before I have this surgery."  That is what I did, and it worked for me. It was not enough for my wife and daughter. 

My wife and daughter are doing GREAT after their procedures. They gain a few lbs. then loses the back.  The highs and lows are gone.  The other day, I asked my wife, "What if we go on a cruise and simply eat Keto?"  We all agreed, that was beyond possible. Now back to your situation.

My daughter on our recent cruise in the Haven on the Joy was brilliant.  She negotiated with everyone at the table to order different items.  She tasted everything.  It was very similar to going to a great Chinese restaurant and passing the foods around. We all had such a great time doing this. 

It is not a requirement to eat lots even if you are in the Haven.  That was a joke and I know you know that. You can ask for 1/2 portions on everything.  What is a requirement is to be catered to.  Have great food and not have to do the dishes.  I actually found that I could not finish my Prime Rib which is my all-time favorite.  In the past, I would order a double cut and finish it all. 

When the doctor tells you can cruise, consider it.  Just like when a person upgrades their drink package to the Premium Plus Drink Package.  It does not mean to get our money's worth we have to have more drinks.  

I love your posts and enjoy that you care enough to always be positive.  I try to do the same.  Heath is the most important thing.  Allow yourself not to give up on foods you love.  Just limit the quantities which has been all of our biggest issues.

Cruise well. 

• Like 3

That is really awesome that you were able to do it on your own. Congratulations!!! You and your wife and daughter deserve a big congrats. The pre and post diets for the surgery seem 🤪 crazy but I understand the why. And sticking to Keto that long is incredible. I'm going to try to do that after my surgical tool as long as I can. I figure when your tummy is that tiny you should only be eating protein for a while and I think tbose people lose in general the most weight based on the group I am in. 

That is a great idea about sharing dishes. I will definitely return to cruising at some point. I absolutely love it. But I also am trying to limit any temptation to eat something just once because I know me and next thing I know carbs will be part of my daily even if a tiny amount. Hoping to minimize my hair loss with all that protein too! I already had hair loss and now I'm on medication that can cause it and add the surgery. I told my husband if I lose too much I will shave it. Lol. But I was serious.  Too bad I don't have a face to pull that off even thin. Lmbo!!!

When I have time I'm thinking of uploading my butler letter. It's a little cheesy but it authentically sounds like me. I embraced cheese and dad and mom jokes as I got older. Especially since my husband has the bad but good humor and we have our 19th Anniversary this week. (So 19 years of the following:)

This man can have the worse humor though at the worst times. One time I'm crying not quite one week into recovering from a huge shoulder and Bicep surgery where I have ro sleep on my back and I'm exhausted. He says "you only have 3 weeks left to go" over 3/4ths left. I started sobbing. It's really funny because I almost never cry. I tell everyone that story. He's the same way with our lids. Nothing like daddy making his lil toddler cry because he made it worse trying to cheer them up. Hahaha. -- like today I told him that my throat was even more sore. What does he say..."oh, then you are definitely not going to be better in time for the cruise.". Yep, so helpful but what can I do but laugh. It's just his nature. Lol. He is undiagnosed on the spectrum just as our 14 year old is. She tells it like it is too. But I'm still going through the motions with last minute things with 6 packed suitcases sitting in our bedrooms just in case. (I'm an overpacker and those are for 3 of the 6 of us) [we did have 9 fully packed but we went through them.](lol!)

I told him if we missed the cruise we needed to build a chicken coop. I'm sure he eants to go on the cruise even more now! Hahaha! 

Anyway, I should get some use out of the letter since I probably won't get to use it. 😉 🙃 😀 

Edited by momofjohnjr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, momofjohnjr said:

That is really awesome that you were able to do it on your own. Congratulations!!! You and your wife and daughter deserve a big congrats. The pre and post diets for the surgery seem 🤪 crazy but I understand the why. And sticking to Keto that long is incredible. I'm going to try to do that after my surgical tool as long as I can. I figure when your tummy is that tiny you should only be eating protein for a while and I think tbose people lose in general the most weight based on the group I am in. 

The pre-surgery diets are crazy but there is a reason.  My surgeon explained losing the weight prior to the surgery makes his job much simpler.  Has to do with him probably having to move the liver around.

After the surgery, you'll be transitioning to a very high protein low carb diet.  More like Atkins than Keto.  

You're going to do fine.  

Gary is right about the portion sizes.  For example, I now have pizza now.  Not often, maybe every couple of months.  I used to eat a complete individual size pizza and want more.  Now, I get four meals off of one.   A standard prime rib is three meals.  You're perfect protein size is about the size of a deck of cards.  

This is actually inspiring me to cut back and lose a few of those pounds I've gained.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And remember that the first two bites of anything give you the most pleasure! Very best to you, momofjohnjr.

And now the reason for my visit. Is the swimming pool in the Retreat on Encore covered?

Hi Gary! I hope you are well. Always great to see you, any place around Cruise Critic.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, momofjohnjr said:

My dietician said that protein should comprise at least fifty percent of my intake.  

She suggested using dessert sized plates instead of dinner plates with half the plate being reserved for protein and dividing the remainder into three portions.  Two for vegetables and one for carbs.  That gives you 3/6ths for protein, 2/6ths for vegetables, and 1/6th for carbs.

BTW, speaking of protein.  Check out this website:

https://unjury.com/

My surgeon recommends them highly.

I particularly like these protein bars and especially the protein snack bars.  All three flavors are very tasty.  The brownie flavor does taste like a brownie after a few seconds in a microwave.

My dietician also gave me this hint: if after a meal, your nose is running or your sneezing a lot, you've eaten too much.  I'd never heard that before but I've found it to be true.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2022 at 7:58 AM, bmwnurse said:

We upgraded to the Premium Plus package on the Encore (1/2/22) after reading Sthrngary's reviews.  It was money worth spent for us!  Every day on the Haven sundeck our favorite bar waiter would grab DH's card and run down to Starbucks for my husband and get his iced coffee!  Talk about service!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nhtravels said:

We upgraded to the Premium Plus package on the Encore (1/2/22) after reading Sthrngary's reviews.  It was money worth spent for us!  Every day on the Haven sundeck our favorite bar waiter would grab DH's card and run down to Starbucks for my husband and get his iced coffee!  Talk about service!  

Starbucks is the only reason I'm thinking about upgrading to premium Plus 🤣 , hubby likes his bourbon , but coffee might be what pushes me over the top 

10 minutes ago, fox02554 said:

Starbucks is the only reason I'm thinking about upgrading to premium Plus 🤣 , hubby likes his bourbon , but coffee might be what pushes me over the top 

I think upgrading actually encouraged me to drink more water believe it or not!  I ordered bottles and bottles of Aqua Panna (along with my Don Julio margaritas!) and I think it made me way more diligent with hydrating. 

I did love not worrying about a bill at the end!     

• Like 4

3 hours ago, nhtravels said:

Well thank you for the shout out.  I obviously love the Premium Plus also.  My drink was Tequila 1942.  When I came home I ordered myself a bottle.  It just does not taste as good at home as it did on the ship.  I can't figure that one out.

Cruise well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fox02554 said:

@fox02554 Dee, I think you will like the Premium Plus Beverage Package. However, to be transparent.  When you are in the Haven, the Haven Restaurant does not charge for specialty coffees.  I recently was on the Joy.  I quite frankly never went to the Starbucks.  I had my morning coffee at the Horizon Lounge with an nice pastry; followed by breakfast at the Haven Restaurant when my family woke with a French Press; and specialty coffees in the Haven Restaurant for dinners. 

I am not trying to talk you out of the upgrade, I do it every time.  Instead, I am attempting to set an expectation so you are not upset or disappointed. The imported bottled water, the Starbuck on the observation deck below the Horizon, and never having to worry about being over $15.00 per drink are the main draw.

I hope I helped and did not confuse matters.

Cruise well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I hope I helped and did not confuse matters.

Cruise well.

in all honesty I am a Dunk-in girl through and through🤣 so wouldn't even know what to order at a Starbucks & the one or 2 times hubby goes over his limit with a top shelve bourbon doesn't justify the + package , I am more concerned in getting my teenages access to boxed water then I am alcohol or coffee . and I know I can get our butler to keep jug of tea & water in fridge that they can refill their own  Yeti's from 😄 I'll just have to hit up the bars for water and bring it back to stock the room with 😄

• Like 1

My grandson took his cruising into his own hands this weekend 🤣 guess he got tired of waiting for grandma to get it done ( 04/17/2022 Breakaway out of NOLA )

https://n-magazine.com/how-three-high-school-students-took-the-internet-by-storm/?fbclid=IwAR1SvxIa0zpOA7vcLmVXVqesI6XZWVjd5DHlTHlENkMa1IY1uFPRqO3Qj3Asafe_image_php.jpeg.c53c13b67250066c0e558917b6d18564.jpeg

• Like 8