If i don’t like my “free/reduced” flights what happens if I cancel them?

erdoran

Seems very low risk to book cruise with free or highly discounted air, if worst case is, when I find out my flights, they REALLY don’t work for my picky hubby.   Any thoughts on how that would work?  Would I lose the $ (if any) I spent on flights and deviations, or would it be equivalent to a full cruise cancellation?  What I’d really want to do it take the NCL discounted flights, then pay the difference to upgrade to business/first, but not knowing what the flights are until the last minute and whether the upgrade cost is more than just buying the ticket directly—or if it is even an option, I would want to hedge my bets.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this type of scenario?  TIA!

The t&c says the fares are not upgradable. However I believe I've seen a few post that they've been able to, but I would not count on it. It's entirely possible that NCL could buy a fare class that is not upgradable. 

As far as I've seen anything spent for the promo is under NCLs cancellation policy. So it'll likely be a 75% penalty (based on when others are getting their flights confirmed) if you cancel unless it's less than 30 days before the cruise. 

Basically if you're wanting specific flights or a class above economy you should skip the promo unless you're ok with losing the money the promo will cost you. 

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

They can't charge you extra for missing the flight, but you won't be getting anything back if you paid anything. Also your return trip is likely canceled if you miss the first flight. 

Also your return trip is likely canceled if you miss the first flight. 

BEWARE - your return flight(s) will be cancelled - IF using the same airline on your return -

you no showed the reservation at the start - either by not showing - missing it intentionally or otherwise -

thus the whole reservation is dumped !

If using another airline on your return you should be alright but check with NCL that that was not cancelled as

part of the package airfare deal/promo.

NCL may not take it lightly if you missed a flight which NCL has paid the airline for the space and it was not used.

Note if the T & C forbid upgrading on the airline that NCL has booked space - this does not mean that such

upgrades can't be done by the airline on its own for a guest/customer with an affinity frequent mileage account.

• Like 3

I wouldn't recommend simply being a "no show" on your NCL booked flights. 

I assume that if you no-showed your NCL flights that you would be flying on tickets that you book on your own. This would mean that you have multiple reservations on flights...something that might get flagged as suspicious by TSA. This could result in some unforeseen hassles until it gets worked out. Better to outright cancel the NCL booked flights if you book other flights on your own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Also your return trip is likely canceled if you miss the first flight. 

BEWARE - your return flight(s) will be cancelled - IF using the same airline on your return -

you no showed the reservation at the start - either by not showing - missing it intentionally or otherwise -

thus the whole reservation is dumped !

If using another airline on your return you should be alright but check with NCL that that was not cancelled as

part of the package airfare deal/promo.

NCL may not take it lightly if you missed a flight which NCL has paid the airline for the space and it was not used.

Note if the T & C forbid upgrading on the airline that NCL has booked space - this does not mean that such

upgrades can't be done by the airline on its own for a guest/customer with an affinity frequent mileage account.

To add to this: For international flights you'd have to make sure if it's different airlines that they aren't partner airlines. An easy way to tell is if they give you one confirmation number (airlines usually call it PNR). If you have only one all legs are interconnected - miss one and the rest are canceled like you said. 

I would not play games if I had a picky traveler, I would just book my own flights and not take the free air perk. Usually on the free or reduced air they add on the transfers which could be $75-$100 per person if past final payment and you cancel the air they may not refund the transfer fee

Edited by njkate

Yeah, until now I’ve always just declined the “free air” and booked our own, but all the stories about $$$ saved....I wasn’t thinking so much about being a no-show, but rather, when NCL issues the actual tickets, if I don’t like them then just calling up to cancel the “free air”.  Transfers are a non-issue since I’d fly in a day or two earlier, so they’d have been removed when I first booked.  The question is more of “if I call NCL and ask to cancel my free/cheap air, just the AIR is cancelled and I pay whatever penalty (potentially $0 if it was free) JUS for the cost of the air, I don’t lose my whole entire cruise and cruise fare?”

18 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Yeah, until now I’ve always just declined the “free air” and booked our own, but all the stories about $$$ saved....I wasn’t thinking so much about being a no-show, but rather, when NCL issues the actual tickets, if I don’t like them then just calling up to cancel the “free air”.  Transfers are a non-issue since I’d fly in a day or two earlier, so they’d have been removed when I first booked.  The question is more of “if I call NCL and ask to cancel my free/cheap air, just the AIR is cancelled and I pay whatever penalty (potentially $0 if it was free) JUS for the cost of the air, I don’t lose my whole entire cruise and cruise fare?”

It's a perk not like you are changing cabin so I would think they would just remove the air. Why don't you give them a call and ask? I wouldn't give my reservation number just say before I book I want to know how this works if I want to cancel only the free air

2 minutes ago, njkate said:

It's a perk not like you are changing cabin so I would think they would just remove the air. Why don't you give them a call and ask? I wouldn't give my reservation number just say before I book I want to know how this works if I want to cancel only the free air

Yeah I probably will....always worry though about “if you don’t like the answer you get the first time, keep calling back because you’ll get a different answer every single time!”

Our flights were terrible.  There were lots of inexpensive, direct flights available.  They had us transferring, long layover, and getting home at 10 pm.  We decided to book SW and will be getting home at 1 pm instead on a direct flights.  We cancelled ours without penalty.  We still had to keep the transfers which we were fine with. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, harrypotter01 said:

Our flights were terrible.  There were lots of inexpensive, direct flights available.  They had us transferring, long layover, and getting home at 10 pm.  We decided to book SW and will be getting home at 1 pm instead on a direct flights.  We cancelled ours without penalty.  We still had to keep the transfers which we were fine with. 

I had free fights from NYC to Miami. with a recent NCl Sky cruise. I noticed on my confirmation, booked before final payment and ticketing on my confirmation that theyhad listed a NYC to Wash DC with layover then DC - Miami. on my outbound flight, direct flight home. Obviously aware they will book cheapest flights available. However I called NCl;s air department.I explained nicely that I live in NYC. There are 3 major airports I can fly from easily and could they please check again and voila direct flights on AA magically appeared on my booking.I told them I would fly any major airline as in Delta, AA , Jet Blue. Not Spirit or Fronteir The bottom line is it never hurts to ask.

On 10/14/2019 at 8:16 PM, SeaShark said:

I wouldn't recommend simply being a "no show" on your NCL booked flights. 

I assume that if you no-showed your NCL flights that you would be flying on tickets that you book on your own. This would mean that you have multiple reservations on flights...something that might get flagged as suspicious by TSA. This could result in some unforeseen hassles until it gets worked out. Better to outright cancel the NCL booked flights if you book other flights on your own.

Hi just wanted to let you know what we did.Booked with NCL air promo and the flight home was very late and had asked for early flight but they give you what they want.So I just booked flight home and paid for it, went to airport took my flight that I paid home and no problem.I did not cancel NCL's flight just incase a problem came up,both where with same airline out of New York..